Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue Sky suggestions to the engineers  (Read 11043 times)

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
Re: Blue Sky suggestions to the engineers
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 11:01:19 AM »

Couldn't you do that with a software editor?  Save your map, load it on the editor at the other Zendrummer's place, done?

But not at a bar.
Play nice.

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 01:11:16 PM »

Fair enough.  :)
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2009, 04:47:34 PM »

Here's what I think is a MUST-HAVE:

Noise floor PER PAD rather than one globally.  I find that I have one or two pads that false-trigger, and so I have to set the floor higher for the whole instrument to fix it.  If I could just raise the floor on those pads, I could have maximum sensitivity for the ones I REALLY need it on (snare drum , hi-hat, etc.)  I don't even think this would require a software editor... we could just edit it the way the channel-per-pad assignment works.  PLEASE!!!

Jer

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2009, 05:21:34 AM »

Noise floor PER PAD rather than one globally.  I find that I have one or two pads that false-trigger, and so I have to set the floor higher for the whole instrument to fix it.

The Z4 allows sensitivity training for individual pads, I believe.
Play nice.

camcojunky

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2009, 12:13:19 PM »

I have an older datawheel model ZX and was wondering if the datawheel could be reassigned as a master controller for a hardware GUI like many kinds of single space rack mounted boxes use. I have a Dynacord ADD-1 drum computer (4 rack spaces) and the ADD-2 drum sampler (2 rack spaces) and they both use this "one master knob for all program parameters" approach. The thickness of the ZX looks like it could accomodate a 1 rack space thick backlit LCD screen. This way program changes could be rapidly accomplished for live settings, while a more detailed software program editor/librarian could be used on a computer screen for tweeking sounds, dialing in setups  etc. I think this could help the Zen be more user-friendly in live situations.

Oh, and I like the idea of a rechargeable internal battery, and a pitch bend wheel or ribbon controller. This would really help with percussion sounds that have some pitch bend such as the bayan sounds of a tabla set, talking drum or cuica.

Michael

paradidl

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »

The Z4 allows sensitivity training for individual pads, I believe.

I don't believe you can set noise floor per pad.  You set the maximum velocity per pad with PL->C2, but I don't think you can set the noise floor with PL->C1.  That calibration is for external triggers only.

I second the request for per-pad noise floor setting.

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2009, 03:08:10 PM »

Bring back the program change like before . I have a TD-20 and the old circuit board when the zendrum changed program numbers you saw that the TD-20 kits changed. It was a one step process by just pushing the advance numbers it would change kits instantly. With the new Z4 circuit board it is a 2 step process where you have to remember what set you want to bring up and then advance the number to match,  then push left or right arrow to (save it?). This makes it impractical to change sets during a song as there would be a time lag to do this and you have to remember what set up you want to go thru instead of just scrolling to it.. Having the Zendrum scrolling thru the TD-20 sets you can see on the TD-20 what set is scrolled to and then play it. It did this before I would like it to do this again Thumper
Thumper

paradidl

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2009, 03:29:32 PM »

I have a similar request to THUMPER's, but instead of sending the program change on every increment in the PR, it would be great if the PR # saved with a notemap was sent when UP was changed.  Further explanation in this thread.

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »

Could this be addressed in software with a  turn on step for the Zendrummers with VST software  and that would be exactly the way it is set up to do now with the save feature or that could be the default set up with an option to have it disabled to be like it was before. Before I was able to play my TD-20 and my SPD-20 at the same time and when I changed program numbers they were both changed and they both matched so my set up stayed the same. This occurred without the extra step of pushing the program arrow again. In other words have program and User setups not have to be saved every time. I sometimes used different drum set ups in the same song and now I am unable to do this quickly anymore. The Zendrum patch numbers used to change what the patch numbers on my TD-20 so I could visually see them and stop when I found what I was looking for. I can not do this anymore!  I have found out that if I manually change my TD-20 from the module that the sounds also change without touching anything on the Zendrum. If I want that patch number to match on my Zendrum then I have to scroll my Zendrum program numbers to match the module then push the program arrow again and this saves it. There has to be a way to make this easier! like before. Oh before I forget the Roland modules have always been one number off from the Zendrum so this just makes it more difficult to also know what patches you are trying to go to. Maybe this could be addressed also?. Anyway enough ranting.  I still love my Zendrum and It is still turning heads whenever I play. i don't think that I will ever get tired of the question "What the heck is that thing you are playing?" Happy Zenning Thumper
Thumper

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2009, 06:23:34 PM »

Hey Thumper. I also use the TD-20 and I understand what you are saying. Roland does not care about us Zendrummers. We cannot change the fact that the kit number and the number on the window of our babies don't match up. It is a midi thing. Midi has 127 notes PERIOD. Some count the zero and some don't that is the problem.  The other problem is with cross fades. The module does not have a consistant drum sounds for this. It would be great if they had midi notes 41, 42, 43, 44 for the snare as cross stick, straight snare, side stick, and rim shot. But they don't line up the way we need it to. Every module has some downside to it.

Mark

Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

camcojunky

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2009, 02:59:16 PM »

Given all the good ideas pouring forth in this thread, I have to ask... how long until the Z4 version 4.2 is announced? I am thinking that since this new circuit board is something of a blank slate in terms of software development, some of the ideas in this thread (at least the easier-to-program ones) will be incorporated into a new release fairly soon, no? Should I wait for the first revision before upgrading, and do it all at once? I understand that the chase for the latest software is endless, but at 400-600 per upgrade plus shipping I have to calculate value vs. cost.

Is there any way to estimate even very loosely the time frame until the next release? Are we talking a couple of months? Or a year? This information would greatly assist me in deciding a course of action. Thanks

PS I hope this post does not come off as negative or cynical. As someone who has envisioned something like the Zendrum since the days of Buchla boxes and analog synthesis, I love what the people at Zendrum have done and are doing, and I feel very fortunate to own one of these fine instruments. It is just that with finances what they are at the moment, I need to make sure I spend wisely.
Michael

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2009, 04:53:11 PM »

Hey Michael,

Yeah man, I know things are tight right now and there are always more things on the horizon.
Considering that it took more than 18 months to do this R&D once it was decided to go ahead, I say at least another year before we are able to jump ahead again. Just for your info, we're at 4.3 NOW, just to get this code acting like I wanted it to. Everybody who ordered retrofits since June has gotten the latest 4.3 version so far. Over 50 rebuilds to date, many with additional triggers, jacks, etc.
David
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2009, 09:07:27 PM »

Michael here is a little story of what happen to me. For a very long time I looked into buying a digital camera.  Every week it seemed they were coming out with a newer, faster, better camera.  So I waited, and waited and waited.  One year I had planned to take a trip to go see my mom  and how nice it would be if I had a digital camera! so I looked at the cameras again and did my research. It was then I realized that I was NEVER going to buy a digital camera due to the fact that they were always getting faster, better ,more features. So I bought one of the ones I was looking at. Nothing really fancy or expensive It was a 2.1 megapiixil but had most of what I wanted. I took it on my trip and  enjoyed taking many pictures. This was probably 10 years ago and I still have the camera   and still taking pictures. I have had so much fun with the camera I  even bought one for my mom which she enjoys to this day.  Go ahead and get the upgrade, get a new Zendrum with the 4.3 upgrade. You will get many hours,days,months,years of enjoyment if you make the plunge. If you wait then you will miss out on what could have been many hours of fun playing and practicing. Just my 2 cents worth Thumper
Thumper

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2009, 10:03:48 AM »

Don't wait - save for it and get it.  I had the 3.1 chip previously, and it was great.  But with the Draken, I was part of the lucky 'dirty' dozen who got not only the 4.1, but also the 4.2 and finally the 4.3 circuit boards!!  The Inspector even let me replace the last circuit board myself.  Great chance to see inside the Draken.   I do not recommend anyone open up their Zen without Dave's authorization.

Recently while waiting for a new band, I've been attending local 'county pickin' jams at the VFW halls, where the average age is 80 and '2' on the amp means 'TOO LOUD'.  ;D  This is where you'll be able to fully appreciate the new Z4 sensitivity.  I've had to turn my volume way down, and really learn how to so gently touch the pads.  This has been a great learning opportunity for me, as I have gone back and re-calibrated a few pads in the process.  I have also found that the pad's surface adhesive coefficient is also a factor.  Playing lightly after eating some fried chicken is totally differant that with perfectly clean hands and slick free pads.  Still working on the perfect cohesive factor.

The Z3 is great and will serve most for a long long time. The Z4.3 is well worth the upgrade if you really want to expand the Zendrums potential.
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

jeff sanders

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2009, 09:28:28 PM »

i just found this instrument that has interesting features. a tiny joystick is one and some sort of motion sensing device that affects sound is another. see what you guys think. i dont think those two technologies are proprietary so maybe they could be an option.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GtzA2UHOr-A&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GtzA2UHOr-A&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lWK1d9fzlVQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lWK1d9fzlVQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up