Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue Sky suggestions to the engineers  (Read 9857 times)

Lunatique

Re: Blue Sky suggestions to the engineers
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 02:54:29 am »

By do I feel stupid after reading everyone else's much more useful suggestions. I want to add something just as useful:

A high resolution holographic projector lens mounted that will project a really hot belly dancer with booming curves and a coquettish smile. The harder I hit the triggers, the harder she jiggles her stuff. If I just lightly tap the triggers, she'll just wiggle. If I rub the triggers she'll giggle. If I play really well, she'll start to strip.

*Whew* Is it getting hot in here?

jeff sanders

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 03:42:03 pm »

a troupe of real belly dancers feeling the groove and sharing the love with a dance comes with every zendrum already.  just locate the venue and build the rhythm ;)

1. pressure sensing triggers- touch/hold/aftertouch/release just like the key of a keyboard
2. roll/hold with both sync to tempo and manual adjust speed- increase pressure=increase roll speed
3. pad transmit/receive control- touch and hold trigger b=affects trigger a sound  eg. trigger a sounds conga open hit, hold trigger b and trigger a sounds muted conga hit and/or apply pressure to bend etc.
4. tap advance- program series of notes to a single trigger and manually advance sequence
5. chain kits- program series of kits and manually navigate patches
6. realtime controller- eg. joystick/ribbon/dbeam/etc. to assign cc# for adjusting pitch/volume/tempo/lfo/etc.
7. full blown mac software editor/patch librarian type application with plug-in capability- eg. open garageband and select zendrum from instrument list and access edit functions within host application
8. internal rechargeable battery/wireless midi options
9. larger more prominent logo(i love how that crinkly silver background material catches and reflects the light  :)
10. big zendrum stickers to put in our vehicles windows, travel cases, foreheads etc.

i dont know the rules about copyrights and software companies but if legal, create basic quickstart media that shows setup of relevant apps including: bfd2, battery3, garageband etc. flood the youtube type sites with as much information as possible to broaden the advertising base, display ease of use and maximize the visibility of zens.

i didnt read everyone elses suggestions so if i just repeated whats already been written by others,  oops!  lol

thanks for asking what wed wish to have.

stay zenny!

Lunatique

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 04:53:27 pm »

2. roll/hold with both sync to tempo and manual adjust speed- increase pressure=increase roll speed

That reminds of my Korg NanoPAD. It's got Roll, Flam, and Hold buttons, and its X/Y pad controls the speed horizontally and the volume vertically. Flam would be useless to us Zendrummers since we can flam easily, but the Roll button can be very handy when you want to play glitch beats, since it can roll to inhuman fast speeds that no fingers on earth can match (up to 64 or 128 notes)--perfect for that glitchy machine gun stutter effect in electronic music. Perhaps a X/Y pad right in the center of the Zendrum?

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 04:54:41 pm by Lunatique »

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 09:36:15 am »

Having and internal Battery that had rechargable's that you would just have to plug into a external charger to charge. Just make sure that the cord from the charger to the Zendrum would be ong enough so that if you wer on a gig and your batteries went down all you would have to do would be plug in and keep playing. Having a internal wireless midi option would also be great!  Thumper
Thumper

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 11:32:46 am »

Yeah,

Internal rechargeable would be excellent!

I can't imagine it would be that hard to do, and hopefully, it would just get charged through the Merge Brick, so if it died mid-set, you'd just plug in as we did "pre-wireless" and be back up in seconds (provided you'd had the foresight to plug in the Brick and have the Midi cable conveniently stashed behind that floor wedge...!)

Jer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 03:17:02 pm »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Did I perchance to here someone speak of a belly dancer?

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 03:17:56 pm by Pyrate »
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Jay M

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 03:11:04 pm »

That reminds of my Korg NanoPAD. It's got Roll, Flam, and Hold buttons, and its X/Y pad controls the speed horizontally and the volume vertically. Flam would be useless to us Zendrummers since we can flam easily, but the Roll button can be very handy when you want to play glitch beats, since it can roll to inhuman fast speeds that no fingers on earth can match (up to 64 or 128 notes)--perfect for that glitchy machine gun stutter effect in electronic music. Perhaps a X/Y pad right in the center of the Zendrum?

About the only thing I like about the Korg is the XY pad.  I don't think a buzz roll is possible any other way with your fingers.  With the Korg XY pad I found it useful for snare rolls, floor tom rolls, and cymbal swells. 

I'm still learing the Zendrum so I want to keep things very simple, but I am considering adding my PadKontrol just for that reason.

I'll also second your suggestion for a software editor.  Programming 27 pads with a 3 digit LED display is not fun! 

A software editor will also allow users to share setups. 

I know there is a debate on pressure sensitive pads vs what the Zendrum has.  Both are good arguments.  Would it be possible for a single pad to be both?  Maybe the pressure sensitive portion would only come into play to change pitch or what ever needs to be manipulated that way. 

Also... holographic projected dancers might lead to more paying gigs ;)

~Jay

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 04:28:40 am »

Avast Thar Mateys,

As for belly dancers, I know that the Zendrum that is used at EPCOT at the Morocco pavilian by Mathew Antilock (sp) comes with a belly dancer.  In fact when asked about his zendrum, he will joke that its a remote control for the belly dancer.  Haaar!!!!  BTW, her name is Selena, and she is darn cute.

I like the idea of internal rechargeable batteries and internal wireless.  However, the question of wireless revolves around what type of wireless.  RF wireless provides the greatest range, but I am always concerned with interference from other sources.  There is bluetooth, but that requires some sort of adapter on the other end, which may be a problem for hardware synths such as the Alesis or Roland units.  Bluetooth is rather limited in range too.  The WiFi standard would be good for software based synths like BFD, but not so good for hardware synths like those previously mentioned.  Perhaps an internally mounted midi jet pro.  The antenna could be attached to the ZX tail.  I'm not certain where to mount it on an LT or Zap.  Of course an access door on the back of the ZD would be necessary in order to maintain the battery and wireless unit, for such things as frequency on the wireless unit.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 05:31:16 am »

I will be heading down to Epcot in November, I will have to check the belly dancer remote control.  I like the idea about a rechargeable battery.  I would be leery about putting a wireless unit inside the ZX.  To me, it would be like buying an all in one printer, if the scanner stops working, you have to send it in and in the process you lose your print, fax and scan until you get it back.  If the MIDI stopped working for whatever reason, you would have to send in the ZX to have it looked at and or fixed losing your ZX until it is fixed.  I am also sure there are individual preferences on the different wireless MIDI units, I was looking at a rack mounted unit but went with the MIDIJET Pro instead, and have no complaints about it.  To sum it up, beware of the all in one, the wireless MIDI would be the weakest link in the ZX and may hold you up in the long run from using your baby.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 05:58:58 am »

Hey guys-- The belly dancer is a DUDE !!! Be careful what you wish for !!  :o
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 08:03:19 am »

That is why I said I would check out the remote!
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 09:00:37 am »

I'd like to see some non-sequential stacking/cycling of MIDI Note Numbers. I think it would make creating composite sounds and/or melodic passages much easier.
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 08:44:47 am »

I got a real one.

I'd like to be able to off load and load my pad setups to a USB thumb drive.

That way, if you visit another Zendrummer, you can just load your maps on and try their rig.
Play nice.

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 09:27:00 am »

I got a real one.

I'd like to be able to off load and load my pad setups to a USB thumb drive.

That way, if you visit another Zendrummer, you can just load your maps on and try their rig.
  I second this! Thumper
Thumper

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 10:12:50 am »

Couldn't you do that with a software editor?  Save your map, load it on the editor at the other Zendrummer's place, done?

And hey, my MIDI-cycles were real!  Hmph.
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up