Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue Sky suggestions to the engineers  (Read 10906 times)

timecutter

Re: Blue Sky suggestions to the engineers
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2009, 09:05:25 AM »

Thanks for posting the thummer videos. 

As an old accordion player and Zendrummer, the thummer sure caught my eye.   I believe the company is dead; bankrupt as per a blog post from last May that I turned up this morning after finding these videos.  Too bad.  Very interesting concepts. 

M

camcojunky

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2009, 08:02:51 PM »

Thanks guys for the feedback.

David, since it looks like a year before another major upgrade, I will be calling you next week  to discuss my upgrade. This is the information I was looking for. Thanks again.

Michael

camcojunky

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2009, 02:13:32 PM »

Timecutter,

I checked out the thummer website. It looks like it has/had potential as a very interesting MIDI controller for melodic instrument modeling/ CC-data intensive applications, and could be/would have been an interesting companion to the Zen. The company blog states that they plan on putting all the plans online into the public domain so that other people can build on the work they started. Perhaps this could be a new instrument for the Zendrum Corp???

I'd buy one.

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2009, 08:46:15 AM »

I had called the company that had advertised the Thummer here in Austin and the man I talked to said that the Thummer is no more and that he was moving on. I even suggested  that he contact Zendrum as some of that technology might be interesting to The Inspector but he said no he was done with it. That is a shame as it really looked like a promising new way of expression. Thumper
Thumper

eDrummer53

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The road to Forgiveness
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2009, 01:21:25 PM »

This may open up a little controversy but it would be great if the Zen had the capability to include a rudimentary set of common sounds in addition to being a midi controller. It would allow you to carry just the Zen and plug in anywhere without having to bring a rig or separate sound module. This would really kick up the jam factor. (Kind of like including an onboard "DM5")

...Don't shoot me ...I just have had opportunities that I couldn't take advantage of because I needed to drag around extra stuff.

...Rod

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2009, 12:03:14 PM »

This may open up a little controversy but it would be great if the Zen had the capability to include a rudimentary set of common sounds ....

Quite to the contrary, this has been on the prospect list for years.

Its just a lot easier to say than do.
Play nice.

alouisus

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2009, 09:04:05 PM »

What about a "Zendrum Module" that is a small proprietary table top midi interface with:

1)-firewire or USB 2.0 to computer host (ideally with a control map GUI that interfaces with wireless Zendrum information)

2)-hardware midi in/ out/ thru

3)-Control input jacks- foot switch/ kick & HitHat inputs/ continuous controller input(volume pedal)/ sustain pedal?

This would be incredibly effective in performance situations
you would have a live wired backup port off the "Module" just in case
And All your pedals for kick, hihat, loop foot switch, sustain and volume would
be live at your performance rig... you could still be untethered to move around the stage
and foot control the computer without letting go of the zendrum... sitting or standing.

I basically do this with a computer and an old DMPRO and it works...
A specifically designed Zendrum interface control box would be nothing short of amazing!!!!
I'm sure the Zendrum GUI is fourth coming anyway... right??

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2009, 09:58:35 PM »

I seem to recall a few years ago that someone actually made a Zendrum GUI... it was called Mokugyo and is still available on the Resource Site... unless I've misunderstood what a GUI is.
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2009, 10:36:22 AM »

I seem to recall a few years ago that someone actually made a Zendrum GUI... it was called Mokugyo and is still available on the Resource Site... unless I've misunderstood what a GUI is.

Yes.  You can find it on the Resource site.  It ONLY works for the standard ZX with the series 3 chip.
Play nice.

GaryM

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2009, 09:51:17 PM »

Big Analog Tachometer!

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2009, 06:51:36 AM »

Hey don't laugh...
A company asked us to make a beat counter many years ago.
Its stated purpose was to judge drummers in competition for speed.
NOWADAYS, A free downloadable MIDI monitor patch will do the same thing and keep up with millions of hits, every MIDI message, all information involved, and humans can't outrun it.

(and all I wanted was to play some tunes...)
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

GaryM

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2009, 11:30:35 PM »

Something like this:

Oh, I forgot - 8 pickups too.

--One large grain of salt recommended here. It does add to the mystique if nothing else.

But really, some sort of feedback mechanism to show me in real time how hard I'm hitting the pads would probably help with the skill some intermediate to advanced Zendrummers have mentioned - learning to play in the dynamic range of the settings instead of maxing out on every hit (not to mention after tilting a few). My Zendrum is being crafted as I speak so I can only speak with anticipation - not real experience. Naturally, those problems are for other people. Surely I'll be perfect from the start.

-Gary

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2009, 06:07:35 PM »

But really, some sort of feedback mechanism to show me in real time how hard I'm hitting the pads would probably help with the skill some intermediate to advanced Zendrummers have mentioned - learning to play in the dynamic range of the settings instead of maxing out on every hit (not to mention after tilting a few).

-Gary

Gary, remember those old Ragu spaghetti sauce commercials?  "IT'S IN THERE!"

From the manual:

Fd FORCE DISPLAY

While in the Force Display (Fd) function, press (+) to activate the Visual Force
Display. Tap each trigger to view the relative strength of each hit.

Jer
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 04:17:13 PM by zendrumdude »

GaryM

« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2009, 08:38:03 PM »

I had a feeling...that one seemed to basic to miss. Thanks for the laugh, Jer.
-Gary

GaryM

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2009, 01:57:41 PM »

OK, one more fringe suggestion. I got this idea from a presentation on the K-Bow [http://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/k-bow/] I saw last night. It's a violin bow that send gestural data back to a computer via bluetooth. If I were smart I could have gotten the same idea for this suggestion from my iPhone. What if there was a sensor embedded in the instrument that picked up gestural information - shaking the instrument to trigger any number of effects - wah comes to mind. It would add a real performance element, be super fun, and probably double the price of the instrument! Oh wait, well...
It would be cool to shake out a wah effect for certain sounds Jimmy Hendrix style.
-Gary
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 02:17:47 PM by GaryM »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up