Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MIDI Foot Controller  (Read 2029 times)

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
MIDI Foot Controller
« on: November 28, 2009, 09:38:38 PM »

Is there anyone out there using a MIDI foot controller to switch between various drum kits?  I have been playing with various kits and using the +/- to cycle through to the kit that I want for a particular song.  What I am finding now is that there are different aux percussion that I want to cycle through to play on my left hand and still play my one handed groove with my right.  I have multiple kits set up using my Roland TD-6V that have the basic kit like bass, snare and HH sounds on different kits assignements but have congas on setting 97, bongos on 96, claves and such on 95 and so on.  I am wondering if getting a MIDI foot controller will allow me to program each kit to specific pedal number and just press the number I want on the pedal and it jumps from 97 to 34 without cycling through using the keypad on the ZX.  I don't want to sink a couple hundred into something that will not work or do what I want it to do.  I have been to guitar center and other music stores in the St. Louis area and nobody carries a MIDI foot controller so I would have to order it, try it out, and if it doesn't work, go through the hassel of returning it through the mail.  Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Re: MIDI Foot Controller
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 03:08:51 PM »

Rob,

Yes, easy to do.  I recommend the Behringer FCB-1010.  I know Behringer isn't exactly high-end gear, but it's actually a great unit and easy to use.

Jer

timecutter

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 07:46:40 PM »

I've got a Behringer FCB 1010 that I'd be happy to sell - PM me if interested. 

I've been switching between kits using a MIDI control surface (the UC33e) - in a setup with multiple kits running in Ableton Live.  The UC33e can also send out patch change commands, and I've used it to change kits in a sound module.   I just haven't found a need to change kits "on the fly" - I'm setup so that everything I need in a set is loaded & ready to go.

M

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 12:45:26 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Something that the Olde Pyrate has been considering is the Roland FC-300, http://www.roland.com/products/en/FC-300/index.html, which looks very interesting.  Hope this helps.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 07:47:32 PM »

I actually was looking at the Roland FC-300 controller.  I have compared the Behringer FCB-1010 with the Roland and the Behringer is cheaper in price, but from the reviews, the pedals are not very sturdy and the Roland is what is referred to as a "tank" with more programming features than the Behringer.  Unfortunately nobody around the St. Louis area carries either so I can't touch and feel to see which one I like better.  I guess I will just have to sink the money in and order one to see if it will work for what I need it to do.

Thanks for the input,

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

timecutter

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 08:18:35 PM »

Hello,

I haven't tried the Roland foot pedal, but the Beringer unit is very sturdy (it weighs a ton - and there is no external power supply).   Programming the Beringer is a mite tricky,  though there is a freeware program out there that does it pretty painlessly.   I've heard good things about the Roland unit, but it is more expensive.

M

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 09:11:42 PM »

I have owned both of them.  I currently own the Roland, but it's pricy as hell.  The reason I bought it was to control an application I was using that required you to be able to set the pedals to Latching or Momentary mode, which the Behringer does not do (and wouldn't you know it, I don't need that anymore!).  BUT, the Roland won't allow the different pedals to send CCs on different midi channels!!!  It's crippling not to have this feature which the Behringer WILL allow you to do.  They are both built really well; they look surprisingly alike.  They will both easily do the program change thing you want.

I recommend figuring out EXACTLY what you want to do with the pedal, and checking the manuals out.  I am guessing that you can do the Behringer for 1/4 the price and be just as happy.  And no wall wart!  The Roland is more flexible and easier to program, no doubt.  I am just pissed about the CCs all on one channel, and the $$$.

Jer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 05:03:15 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

In my case, I wanted to be able to use the FC-300 to change program setups quickly, such as going from my standard kit setup to a jazz brush setup just by stepping on a switch, without having to go to the back of the Jolly Roger Zendrum and manually selecting a setup on the data pad.  A footswitch was more convenient and I could switch from drums to percussion etc. with a single motion instead of multiple motions.  This is really a good idea especially for jazz, where you switch between brushes and sticks fairly rapidly.  Also, the FC-300 can run on batteries, which means no cables or wires.  What a concept.  And being that I use a Roland TD-20 as my primary sound source, it seems to this olde salt that the Roland FC-300 would probably be a better choice.  I could be wrong (did I just say that).  Arrgghhh, shiver me timbers!  I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Fair winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 05:16:18 AM by Pyrate »
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 06:11:55 AM »

Thanks for the input everyone.  I do think I am going to go with the Roland controller.  My main purpose is to switch between kits quickly.  I use Roland products already and have not been disappointed.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up