Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recreating this 'Thelonious Monk' Drum solo with BFD Jazz n Funk  (Read 792 times)

HostileReality

Amazing Jazz drum solo at about 2:30 on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA19qvOv2II

I'm wondering how you could do this with BFD Jazz n Funk and a Zendrum... Using the brush kits....  Any tips?

I was thinking about the drag parts, it might be hard to do that without a note-off...

Anyway, i havn't really atempted it yet, but it was very inspiring. Maybe people could upload their atempts... I mean, not trying to recreate the whole thing, but trying to achieve something realistic would be nice.

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
Re: Recreating this 'Thelonious Monk' Drum solo with BFD Jazz n Funk
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 09:00:41 PM »

That is a very nice piece of music.  I'll start by saying that paying brushes is an art form that is really difficult to do with any electronic instruments.  You can get real
close with BFD2 and JNF.  The way that I approach it is to have two snare slots loaded with the same snare.  That way you can have the sweeps (BFD drags) work in your favor.  You can sweep with one while playing hits with the other.  To stop a sweep, all you need to do is trigger the hit in the same instrument.

Check out my videos on Youtube.  There is one dealing with brushes and BFD2.

Good luck!

The other thing you can do with BFD2 is to make a sample out of that solo and trigger the entire thing with one hit.. ;)
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

HostileReality

Re: Recreating this 'Thelonious Monk' Drum solo with BFD Jazz n Funk
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 01:57:43 PM »

That's a great technique John, and video. I'll have a play around. Thanks for the tip
Pages: [1]   Go Up