Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Software Zendrum Editor: A possibility?  (Read 1628 times)

SWriverstone

• Tribal Pledge
  • Aerial Drummer
    • View Profile
Software Zendrum Editor: A possibility?
« on: June 12, 2009, 06:42:03 PM »

Hey everyone...

I don't know if I'm the only one who hates trying to edit/tweak/change things using a few buttons and an LED display...but I think it would be fantastic if we could all pitch in to get someone to develop a software editor for the Zendrum!

This might be irrelevant to those who use hardware modules...but many of us use laptops, and having a great on-screen interface showing all the Zendrum's pads...and being able to click on any pad and bring up a parameter entry window for that pad...as well as global parameters, etc. would be AWESOME.

What do you think David (Inspector 109)?

I for one would be willing to pitch in toward the cost of developing such an editor. Or just consider it an advance purchase. I'd be willing to pay up to $50, maybe even $100 to have this. If enough other people showed serious interest, maybe we could make it happen?

As an aside (and this is directed more at David)...the difficulty of editing the Zendrum is definitely a barrier to entry for "the masses." Not that having a software editor would suddenly result in selling 10,000 more Zendrums...but from a usability standpoint, it would make the Zendrum a lot more accessible, in my opinion.

What does everyone else think? (Editing the Zendrum just reminds me a bit too much of trying to edit patches on my old Roland JV-1080 synth module...AARRGH!!!  :)

Scott
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:44:44 PM by SWriverstone »

Jazzodict

Re: Software Zendrum Editor: A possibility?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 09:51:51 PM »

Cool idea Scott 8) .... I second it & will be more than happy to contribute as suggested!

Cheers
Uday.

timecutter

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 05:30:14 PM »

I would  welcome such a program for Mac OSX and would be very happy to buy it at a reasonable price.

M

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 06:29:28 PM »

I too would love this, but would prefer to purchase it at an unreasonable price.

Jer

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 08:30:35 AM »

I would  welcome such a program for Mac OSX also and would be reasonably very happy to buy it at a reasonable price.
Thumper
Thumper

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 10:34:08 AM »

I seem to recall seeing a software-based editor on the Resource Site:

http://www.zendrum.com/resource-site/zmokug.htm

I don't seem to recall much being done with it, but this was back in '03; desktop/computer-based programs have come a long way since then, as well as MIDI transfer abilities.  Try that?

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 05:19:08 PM »

I have had a Mac since day one and this editor would  not work for me. It is a great idea though and should be revisited. Thumper
Thumper

SWriverstone

• Tribal Pledge
  • Aerial Drummer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 05:37:33 AM »

So Inspector 109 (David)...what do you think? Can your code guy (who developed Z4) do something like this? (Seems like he's closer to really knowing what's going on than anyone else!)

Scott

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 06:54:51 PM »

The simple answer is YES!... and it's being discussed in earnest now around the shop.
I need ten guys to pay $1000 each and we'll knock it right out for you (just kidding).
Gotta figure out how to pay for it and not have to rob banks to get it done (no kidding)
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

fingerfunk

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 03:09:50 PM »

i think it may not be so hard to program an editor using max / msp.  it'd be a time investment for sure, but i think that even with my modest max/msp skills i could probably figure it out.  folks would need to download the free max/msp runtime (needed to run standalone programs coded in max/msp) along with the program.  but i think this would be doable, i've even been considering doing it simply for my own use (but would be happy to share if i do it).

not that i really have the time.  but thought i'd share that potential approach (if there are any other zendrummers with max/msp skills that want to jump on this, please do!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up