Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: avoiding wrist strain, repatative strain injury..  (Read 1516 times)

HostileReality

avoiding wrist strain, repatative strain injury..
« on: June 08, 2009, 02:35:42 PM »

now that i've finally started to get into practicing the zendrum using the roland DT-HD1 drum tutor (it's really helpufull by the way), i've started to get a little strain feeling in my wrist after a good hour of practice. Is it good practice to do wrist excersies before practicing? i have a 'Powerball', i could use that- their supposed to be good for repetative strain and wrist injury.

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Re: avoiding wrist strain, repatative strain injury..
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 03:15:22 PM »

Here is the solution:

1) Inject approximately 5 cc of a 50:50 mixture of Xylocaine 2% with epi and Marcaine 0.5% plain into the affected hand along the line headed toward your wrist and wait 10 minutes.

2) After prepping the wound with betadine, drape the surgical field and utilize a #15 blade to incise the skin and subcutaneous tissue down to the level of the deep fascia. Clamp and cauterize all bleeding vessels and visualize the transverse carpal ligament and gently release it with a metzenbaum scissors to expose the median nerve. Inject some corticosteroid and close the subcutaneous tissue and skin with the appropriate suture. Apply a sterile dressing and wait for the skin to heel in 2 weeks.

3) Get some physical therapy to rehabilitate the hand and then procede with your Zendrumming.

* The authur does not recommend trying this at home.

Good Luck

Dr. Shark
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 03:47:50 PM »

Dr. Shark,

I am by no means a medical professional, but I have to say that the solution you're advocating seems rather extreme given the situation presented by HR.  Shouldn't invasive surgery be one of the last things one considers? 

I've had wrist problems on and off for a few years too, but nothing major. HR, at the risk of underdiagnosing (and remember, I've got no standing to say this save personal experience) I'd start with the ice pack/aspirin/wrist-brace/rubdown four-pack before I'd start considering going under the knife.

Also, HR, you might want to examine your technique and setups as well.  Are you reaching further out for anything you use repeatedly?  Is there a way to bring it in closer or easier?

Just thought I'd present a counter-opinion.

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 04:20:15 PM »

Hey Jay,

That was meant as a joke.  ;D
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

HostileReality

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 05:32:59 AM »

lol. well it's not an injury yet, it was just that i noticed a slight strained feeling after a good bit of practice, and it got me thinking that it could turn into a problem if i was to do this everyday. Does anyone use Powerballs? they are meant to be really good for wrist strains and strengthening the hands/fingers. People use them for all sorts, I would think that some drumbers or musicians probably use them to strengthen the wrists or fingers. I've heard of people using them for things like climbing, where you need strong fingers... but they are also really good for reppetative strain and wrist/hand injurys. in case you don't know what powerballs are: http://www.powerballs.com/

my left hand doesnt move much, it rests on the snares mainly, and my right hand does all the hi-hats and kicks and other stuff. I think i've got a good relaxed technique pretty much- i'm doing it similar to how John Emrich looks with his LT, where the left hand rests on the edge of the drum, and the right hovers over the right hand pads.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 05:35:06 AM by HostileReality »

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 11:53:32 AM »

Hey Jay,

That was meant as a joke.  ;D

Heh... sorry about that.   ;D

HR: To stretch I generally just warm up with a pair of sticks and a practice pad like I would usually.  I can't speak to the ability of Powerballs. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 11:54:47 AM by Jaay »
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 09:13:50 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

In response to Dr Sharks more radical method, I would like to simply state tht one should use a liberal amount of Capt. Morgan Spiced Rum.  By liberal I mean at least 32 ounces taken orally in 2 ounce gulps.  Trust me, by the time you get to 32 ounces, you will feel no pain whatsoever.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

fingerfunk

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 03:15:56 PM »

I had a repetitive stress injury before I started seriously using the Zendrum -- there's a lot of things you can do, but I would say that regular stretching is probably one of the most useful and necessary things.  if you can, visit a physical therapist and learn some stretches.  be careful and don't overdo it, stretches can end up injuring you if you do them too hard or in the wrong way.

If you find that you have tension or pain that keeps getting worse -- don't ignore it!  Stop whatever it is that's causing it to get worse and see a physical therapist or chiropractor.  If you seriously injure yourself, it can take a long time to recover (I hurt my right hand about 4 years ago and it still doesn't feel the same).

HostileReality

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 09:52:49 AM »

hey look, i found some 'eveidence' that powerballs are good for drummers: http://www.powerballs.com/me.php?m=Community&show=Craig

well i know it's not really evidence. but might be worth consideration... so far i have been using mine and havnt felt any strain in my wrist since.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 09:55:13 AM by HostileReality »
Pages: [1]   Go Up