Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: slesis dm pro  (Read 1887 times)

mark

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
slesis dm pro
« on: October 04, 2006, 04:12:53 PM »

Hi I have a alesis dmpro, and i want to play bass with my left hand and drums with my right hand.  the dmpro has a sound catergory "chromatic" that has slap bass (#82).
the dm pro also has a kit #60 called "two basses" which uses the slap bass #82 sound and the pitch changes according to the note number ex c,c#,d.  I have loaded kit 01 'bomham-kit" and have changed the drumkit trigger note numbers 48=c2,49=,c2#,50=d2,52=e2,55=g2 and ,57=a2 all to slap bass #82 and the pich of the bass does not change in relation to the  musical notes.  So I went to kit # 60 "double basses' and changed note36 to a kick drum and note 37 to a highhat and they will not trigger simutaneously or verbatum according to their original sounds. But, when i use cubase on my computer and trigger the dmpro with  the sequencer,the pitch changes fine.. Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

mark
sorry for the long post.

jeff sanders

Re: slesis dm pro
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 10:31:13 PM »

wow my dmpros 01 kit is boom boy?! do you have version 2.0? sorry bout asking a question instead of giving an answer.

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 08:36:07 AM »

Its very possible that one (or both) of you have a box that it not at the factory presents.

Heck, on my DMP, set one is THFTRBasic.  You can also find sets to play the bass and brass sections of mission impossible, and one that plays movie quotes.

Someone has moved around the sets in one of yours.  The manual shows how you can reset, if you want.
Play nice.

GrimRich

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 06:37:50 AM »

Mark,

In the original kit labeled "Two Basses" that you mentioned, there really are only two notes (if I recall, as I don't have access to the DM Pro at the moment). Usually one of the notes is some "C" note somewhere, then every note after is tuned up to mimic an increase in pitch. Go to the Two Basses kit, dial up note 60, then hit the Tune button. Then hit Drum, move to note 61, and hit tune again. It should show an increase in tuning.

If you go to the Bonham kit again (one of my favorites =) ) and load up the Slap Bass sound as you did for notes 48, 49, etc. Then go to note 49 and tune it up a step, note 50 2 steps etc. Just do a couple and see if it works.

I use a TrapKat as well as the Zen, and on the DM Pro I did just as you are trying to do - make a drum kit with one part of the setup, and a chromatic part also. On the TrapKat it's kinda neat because you can set up to 4 notes on a pad, so you can play chrods as well as notes.

HTH,

Larry

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 08:11:22 AM »

then every note after is tuned up to mimic an increase in pitch.

I love the DMPro.  I think the interface, sound selection, everything is great.

Be be wary of "pitch".

What they consider whole steps are NOT.  You will need to microtune a lot of the sounds to get them to work in pitch.
Play nice.

nerdymonkey

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 07:09:59 PM »

I love the DMPro.  I think the interface, sound selection, everything is great.

well, I'm pretty new to all of this - I have a DM Pro, a TD 20 and a receptor

I think the the DM Pro sounds like something you buy at Toys R Us with a horrible interface that looks like it is straight from 1985.

The TD 20 is not a whole lot better in regards to sound but the interface is very nicely done. I particularly like the "mixer" aspect. Being able to "see" the mic placement is great as well.....but that mechanical sound....bleh. I'm not a machine nor do I want to sound like one.

The receptor I received from Alternate Mode is the only thing I have tried that sounds like drums. Thanks John Emrich for pointing me in the right direction!

just my .02

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 08:28:27 PM »

sounds like drums.

If your goal is to sound like drums, perhaps that is the best choice.

However, the instrument you are playing is not drums.

Also, for a steadily gigging musician, an easy to see rackmount is a must.
Play nice.

nerdymonkey

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 05:38:29 PM »

If your goal is to sound like drums, perhaps that is the best choice.

If they are called drum and/or percussion modules, I am assuming that is what they were made to sound like. Sure, there are other sounds available on all of these devices, but drum sounds seem to be the focus of the DM Pro and the TD-20.

However, the instrument you are playing is not drums.

I am writing about the sound - that is why I said "sounds like drums" instead of "plays like drums". I was writing about sound quality, nothing more. I can assure you that I have never been under the impression that a zendrum (which I assume is what you were talking about) "plays like drums".

Also, for a steadily gigging musician, an easy to see rackmount is a must.

My receptor seems to fit into my little 4 space rack pretty well, and I do not really notice a difference in the display's clarity vs. a DM Pro. I am, however, really glad that I can hook up a laptop and work with the receptor until I get all of the details nailed down - then I don't need the laptop anymore. I am in a band (http://www.myspace.com/discodisdont) that's plays out regularly and will be glad to report on how things go at the punkish type club (http://www.myspace.com/ahideaway) we are playing at in a couple of weeks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up