Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zendrum in this week's Featured Band: Music Villa Live  (Read 1691 times)

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Zendrum in this week's Featured Band: Music Villa Live
« on: May 22, 2009, 04:16:47 PM »

Hey Guys,

if you have a sec, check out www.musicvillalive.com ... three videos up from 9 & Zen.  The best Zendrum vid is Take 5; there's a decent ZD solo at 4:30.  If you check it out, please post a comment!

Thanks a ton,

Jer

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Re: Zendrum in this week's Featured Band: Music Villa Live
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 05:35:04 PM »

NICE !!!
Awesome drum solo !  Great job Jer. The band sounds real good.
Cheers,
Steve

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 08:11:14 PM »

That is one of my favorite songs. Y'all do a great job on the song. Nice Zendruming. Now I got to go practice more. What is your setup? Module or software and what kind and setup of speakers Thumper
Thumper

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 09:07:06 PM »

That was great!  Thumper asked a great question, what is your setup?  I really like the ride cymbal work you were doing.  I am still trying to figure out the best setup for my ride.  When I was playing on my kit, my HH and ride were a big part of my playing.  Since I have switched to the Zendrum, I have my HH down to include open and close using the crossfade, but I am still struggling with where to set up my ride cymbal and bell.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 08:14:06 AM »

Guys,

Sincerely, thanks for watching and for the nice words!

My setup:
MacBook Pro, BFD2, MOTU Ultralite interface.  Sound reinforcement:  (none of this is on that video; they like to use their house sound) Aphex 207 stereo tube preamp, DBX DriveRack PA EQ/Crossover, 2 Bose L1's with 2 Bose subs each (4), or 2 Mackie 115 powered subs (the big boys!)

About the ride: along the top row of pads on the right side (as you wear it), my setup is: hh closed, hh open, ride bow, ride bell, crash.  I use the index and middle fingers of my right hand for closed HH, ring finger for open.  Move down 2 pads, and the same 3-finger technique now plays ride bow/ride bell.  When I am playing jazz, (I mean straight-ahead jazz, not funky) I change it slightly: pad 3 of this row becomes ride with crossfaded bell, and pad 4 becomes HH pedal, which allows me to play the typical jazz swing ride/HH pattern with one hand.

Thanks again!

Jer

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 08:21:56 AM »

Thanks, I will have to look at setting mine up that way and see if it works for me.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 05:46:46 AM »

I tried that ride out on those pads, it works great, don't know why I didn't see that before.  I really was not using those pads for anything except extra percussion that wasn't used very often.  I put the ride with a crossfade bell on the far right as you are looking at it as you wear it, then kick and snare with a crash that was already in place for me.  Now I can play an entire one handed grove with the ride the same way I do with my closed HH using other pads.  Thanks for the tip, I just wasn't seeing "outside the box" on that one.

Rob

mark

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 08:05:03 AM »

hey zendrumdude sounds great, which bfd2 kit were you using and was that your own mixing on the sounds or a factory one.

thanks
mark

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 09:44:53 AM »

Mark,

Thanks for the comments!

I was using a kit I made completely from scratch.  Here's what I can recall without firing it up to look:

Toms and bass drum are Tama Starclassic (I believe these are in the XFL sound set).  To make a 4th tom, I tuned the 12" samples up a bit to create a 10".
Main snare is a Pearl Chad Smith sig model.  I used this same sample tuned pretty high for a piccolo.
The "fat" snare drum is a Tama brass snare (forgot which sound set...)
Ride is a Sabian (from Jazz n Funk set)
Crashes are a Zildjian and a Sabian (also Jazz n Funk)
The splash is a UFIP
China is from the original BFD1 Ayotte set (it is called Ayotte Crash 1 I think)
The percussion stuff is all from the Percussion set, except the drumset-mount tambourine from XFL.  The cowbell is one I "frankensteined", taking samples from 2 different sample folders and making  a new folder to "crossfade" the samples in BFD2.

I also did extensive sound-sculpting work with individual EQs, compression, and mixing of top/bottom snare mics.

Hope that helps, and thanks again!

Jer
Pages: [1]   Go Up