Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Answer to Hard Drive issue with BFD/MacBook Pro  (Read 994 times)

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Answer to Hard Drive issue with BFD/MacBook Pro
« on: May 18, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »

Hello All,

You may have read in previous posts that I have had mysterious issues with my MacBook/BFD2 rig.  I found out what the deal is, and it's NOT BFD!

I use a WD Mybook 1TB external hard drive, which unfortunately goes to sleep on its own, REGARDLESS of the computer's sleep settings!  I have read countless reports of it sleeping in the middle of a transfer or download... MAJOR pain, and it causes BFD to play just the portion of the samples which is loaded into RAM.  NOT pretty.  When you try to eject/remount the drive with BFD2 running, it locks up the machine about half the time.  Dead.  So, if it happens (which it does) I have to shut down everything and start from scratch.

Furthermore, WD does not offer any options or tech support on this known issue.  Guess I'll be buying yet ANOTHER hard drive (my third for use with BFD!).  The good news is, I have had zero issues with the computer itself or my eSATA card, which I am told can be a bit finicky... no problems yet.  And BFD2 is stable as can be.

PLEASE investigate the auto-sleep issue BEFORE buying your external sample drive if you're building a laptop-based BFD2 rig!

*Any recommendations on a good eSATA or FireWire 800 7200 RPM 1TB drive that won't go to sleep on me?  (John, which drive do you use?)

Jer

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
Re: Answer to Hard Drive issue with BFD/MacBook Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 09:23:50 PM »

Mine are not cheep, but have never let me down.  I recommend Glyph.  You could also check out Seagate.  I've had success with those as well.

John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 12:35:49 PM »

OWC has great drives for mac.  I have three of them.  Google it.
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 09:25:25 AM »

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd write the "End of the Story."

I just finally bit the bullet and got a Glyph 062 series 1Tb drive.  It is awesome... rack mounted, no wall wart, bulletproof design, internal fan, and seamless data performance.  I left it on for HOURS yesterday as I was in and out of the studio with rehearsals and a short rec session... never died, never slept, never glitched, never nagged me about mowing the lawn.  It's killer (and they know it... check the price tag.  I think they make 'em out of plutonium and diamonds).

Another plug for this particular series: these drives actually have 2 hard drives inside.  There's a mode called RAID 0, which writes to and reads from both drives simultaneously, which greatly increases transfer speed.

John E, you mentioned Seagate also... you probably know that's who makes the drives for the Glyph units.

Jer
Pages: [1]   Go Up