Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z4 Retrofits for Existing Zendrums  (Read 8406 times)

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: Z4 Retrofits for Existing Zendrums
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 03:35:20 PM »

Hey Mick!

We haven't figured out any practical way (yet) to add extra triggers or jacks to an LT, but what I've been doing instead is swapping the sustain jack to be a cc input. It can be assigned any MIDI cc # for hihat/volume/whatever INCLUDING #64 for sustain if so desired. This is stored per Set Up (just like note numbers), and the momentary switch is still always there for sustain/kill function. The increased note on duration to 10ms allows more software to see and react to the fast trigger spike signals without having to delay the response time or slow anything down.
Hope this helps explain better.
Take care, man.
David
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Tom Roady

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 03:45:26 PM »

Cool...this may fix the problem I'm having with Atmosphere in my G5....doesn't seem to recognize the note off quick enough....I've held off getting Omnisphere....its replacement for this reason...Can't see spending almost $500on software that won't work with my Zendrum...Hey there Mick  the mayor

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 03:14:40 AM »

Hey Mick!

We haven't figured out any practical way (yet) to add extra triggers or jacks to an LT, but what I've been doing instead is swapping the sustain jack to be a cc input. It can be assigned any MIDI cc # for hihat/volume/whatever INCLUDING #64 for sustain if so desired. This is stored per Set Up (just like note numbers), and the momentary switch is still always there for sustain/kill function. The increased note on duration to 10ms allows more software to see and react to the fast trigger spike signals without having to delay the response time or slow anything down.
Hope this helps explain better.
Take care, man.
David

Thankyou Dave.

Just going over a few ideas in my head......using a Zendrum LT within a Percussion setup as my main "Drumset"

ie Placing it above my Congas so I can play Kit and Percussion at once. 
Looking forward to getting over to see you all soon.

Yo Tom  :)

Cheers
Michael

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 06:49:44 AM »

Hey Everybody,
We're past the first 50 retrofits now and have just gotten 100 more of the Z4 circuitboards in stock.
We can do the retrofit work in one day's turnaround time here.
Take the next step forward in Zendrumming and see what the future brings.
Many custom options are now available for additional triggers, jacks, and  cc controllers.
David
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

dkaleita

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 01:43:59 PM »

I haven't seen any posts on this for the past seven months.  This upgrade is still available, right?  I think I may finally be ready to do this.

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 07:20:20 PM »

Hi dkaleita (and all),

I had my Zendrum refitted last week, while I was away on vacation. I spoke with Dave a couple of times beforehand on the phone, and received pictures of several different layouts that others had done with new trigger pads. I opted for the same layout as Jer (Zendrumdude), with the Z4 board, 6 new triggers, cc volume control knob (and yes, it does work with my Roland TD-10..woohoo!), and Midi jet internal wireless.
The entire process from shipping to receiving it back was fabulous. I was not in a rush to get it back as I had some time off. The zendrum arrived home before my vacation was over, and when I got home I anxiously began testing.

WHOA!!!

It is really so much more responsive. I put all of my settings back in as I had them, but I am going to change my entire set up on several channels as I now have so much more capability, being able to use different channels, new triggers, etc. I had a gig last night (Saturday) and it was very well received. I went wireless, and that was a hoot! I was able to stand out in front of the riser and listen to the mix like never before. I could actually wander around the room! There is so much less clutter with no wires. And, I felt.....unfettered!

We had some professional video, audio and stills being done gratis, I haven't seen them yet. (A fiddler who sits in with us is also a professional videographer) I will post here when I get a look-see.

All in all, I feel every penny spent for this upgrade is well worth it... and more. Dave is very 'reachable', I don't think you can get any better customer service. I had a few questions that were easily answered via email, and could have called if needed. I may still have to as I go along this new learning curve, but truthfully, it's really not all that difficult once you get the hang of it. The new instruction booklet is pretty self explanatory.

I am looking forward to really getting into it over the next few months. the only limitations I can see on the horizon, is me!

Rand
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up