Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: foot pedal trigger  (Read 1545 times)

HostileReality

foot pedal trigger
« on: May 10, 2009, 02:41:58 PM »

I'm thinking of getting a kick pedal for the zendrum. But, I don't have much cash. Is there anything out ther which is £60 or under? i had a look allready, but could find some things which i'm not sure if they will work or not eg. this: http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/6830-behringer-fcv-100-foot-controller.html

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Re: foot pedal trigger
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 07:50:26 PM »

Hostile,

Are you reasonably handy with tools and willing to experiment?  Do you have a regular bass drum pedal and a beater you can sacrifice?

If so, I recommend getting some various pieces-parts and building your own version of an inverted bass drum trigger, like the Roland KD7. 

I envision an L-shaped bracket of thick steel, maybe an inch or inch-and-a-half wide both ways and 6" long, with a 6" piece of 2" PVC screwed to it.  (You can also use a 6" length of drum rack tubing).  Clamp your pedal onto the L-bracket.  Put your beater in the pedal upside-down and bend your beater shaft so the head hits the pipe, and enclose a piezo transducer inside tightly packed with some sort of foam.  Get end caps for the pipe, and drill one to accept a 1/4" jack.  Solder to piezo to the jack, screw-and-glue, and put something softer and quieter on the striking surface... neoprene, rubber, etc.  A piece of mouse pad (yes, from your computer) works great for this.  There you go!  I am guessing you could do this in an afternoon for $20.

Parts list:
L-bracket
PVC pipe
2 end caps
screws
PVC cement
Piezo transducer
1/4" jack
solder
rubber/neoprene/etc.
Black spray paint?

Jer

Slavedave

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 09:05:41 AM »

Yep, I did something similar.  I bought a project box , a 27mm piezo and a mono jack socket from Maplins (UK store) plus an l-bracket from B&Q.  Bent the l bracket to a suitable angle to allow the inverted beater of the pedal to impact the entre of the project box when they were screwed together.  I then fixed the piezo to the internal top surface of the project box with double sided adhesive foam tape, drilled a hole in the side of the PB for the jack socket, wired the piezo (red lead to tip, black lead to earth), hot glued the soldered pads on the piezo itself since they are prone to breaking off otherwise; bolted the PB to the L-bracket - connected up the pedal and the cable to my module and voila!  Less than 12 euro for parts and 1hours effort.

HostileReality

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 11:46:02 AM »

thanks for the guide. I'm not very handy with tools, but I might bear it in mind anyway.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 05:28:08 PM »

By the way, that pedal in the link you sent will NOT work... it's a CC (Control Change) pedal, not a pedal that would generate a trigger impulse, which is what you need.

Jer

HostileReality

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 10:39:53 AM »

anyone know if this will work: Yamaha HH65 Hi Hat

http://www.alternatemode.com/cart/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=hh65

And if so, how well?

thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up