Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW FOR 2009: Zendrum Z4 Series  (Read 18969 times)

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Re: NEW FOR 2009: Zendrum Z4 Series
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2009, 07:19:35 AM »

I do not know how many new Z4 have been shipped but I would like the folks that have them to maybe post some comments on them. Thumper
Thumper

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2009, 03:39:36 PM »

Thump,

I hope to have mine in days... when I do, I will definitely write in.  I have owned 5 Zendrums and have been playing since 1998, so I feel pretty qualified to write a review!

Thanks,

Jer

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2009, 07:57:34 PM »

Hey Jer,

We know you are the MAN. We are waiting to hear about it. I also enjoyed your videos. You rock.

Mark
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

HostileReality

« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2009, 05:07:02 PM »

Hey Jay,
Yes, it will.
Anybody's pedal can be calibrated and used now.

I'd just like to clarify something: I'm thinking of saving up for the Z4 upgrade. However in the meantime, i was looking to buy a FAT Kat trigger pedal on ebay. But, if i had the Z4 upgrade on my Zendrum, would there no longer be a need to get this specific kick trigger? Would something cheaper and more easy to obtain work aswell/almost aswell? Please could you elaborate on what the differences would be, as i've found one on ebay but it will cost quite a lot as it's in the USA, and that money would probably be better spent going towards the Z4 fund if i could get a cheaper kick trigger to work nearly aswell. Also if this is the case, would anyone kindly suggest one (a kick trigger pedal) that would suit my needs ( not too expesnive) ?

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2009, 07:05:14 PM »

Hey Hostile,

Can't answer the first part of your post, but about recommended BD triggers:

I hear you on cost and availability, but I still recommend the FAT Kat to you.  I have used lots of different products over the years and I still think that's the one to get. 

For other options: I also really like my Pintech ConcertCast 10" mesh-head drum... tensioned loose enough, it feels like a real bass drum.  But it's big and requires a pedal too, so it's much more gear to schlep for virtually the same results.  Roland's KD-7 might be a good balance: lots smaller than an electronic drum, but still has regular pedal feel and rebound (well, more than the FAT anyway).  Good part about the KD-7: cheap cheap cheap!  I bought one for one of my students on eBay last month for $49.

Hope that helps.

Jer

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2009, 08:43:21 PM »

I have a couple of reasons to continue looking for the FAT pedal.

If you play standing up, the FAT pedal plays lower to the ground.  That means that your leg won't cramp up.  I've tried all of them at there is a big difference.  Another thing that I have noticed is speed.  For what ever reason, these pedals just play faster for me.

With the new Z4 being able to work with CC information, I would look for the HAT as well.  It is unfortunate that they are not easy to get.  We all may need to find some alternatives, but I for one will be looking for more.
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2009, 10:41:15 AM »

Yet another plug for KAT pedals:

Did you guys know that the HAT Kat pedal has a trigger out, and can be used like a FAT Kat?  Cool feature!  Also, with a 16" strip of female velcro wrapped around the footboard and hooked to the male velcro on the bottom of the baseplate, they pack up very nicely and safely.

Personally, I do not prefer the HAT Kat as a HH pedal... there's a funny issue with it closing the HH (and playing the chick sound) about 1/2" before the pedal physically hits bottom.  (See alt mode forums for more info on it).  Therefore, I use my HAT Kat as a second bass drum pedal.  For hi-hat control, I like the Roland pedals better-  FD-7 is still my fave.  I have read that the Alternate Mode version of Hart Dynamics' pedal is fantastic, but I have not personally tried one.

Does anyone (John?) know why the Kat pedals are so hard to get lately?  They still show up as available on alternatemode.com, but if you click on them, it says they are out of stock indefinitely.  Some sort of supplier/manufacturer issue?  Or are they discontinued?

Jer

HostileReality

« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »

I don't reallly understand hi hat pedals properly yet- If one was to use one with the new Z4 and a BFD2 hi-hat, does that mean that you would be able to trigger all the articulations such as heel splash, half open, and all/most others, using your foot to change which articulation is triggered when you hit the zendrum pad?

Also, is the FD-8 as good?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 04:14:29 PM by HostileReality »

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2009, 05:45:05 PM »

Yes, all articulations supported, just as you surmised.  Chick, splash, and variable cym tension: closed, 1/4 open, 1/2, 3/4, and fully open.  I think the FD-8 is more compact in size, but not as good as the 7: the FD-7 has a pedal height adjustment (which the 8 doesn't have) and it also has spring tension adjustment... don't know if the 8 has that or not.  Of course, these are both physical adjustments that do not affect the electronic performance.  My guess is that they are electronically identical (not certain...)

Jer

HostileReality

« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2009, 04:27:21 PM »

Thanks for the info! can't wait to get one. First i have to save up for the Z4 board upgrade, but in the meantime i have a fat kat trigger on it's way   :D

It would be great to see all this in action... I eagerly await the demo vids!

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2011, 02:14:51 PM »

Unpinning this topic, as this has been the default now for some time.
Play nice.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up