Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW FOR 2009: Zendrum Z4 Series  (Read 18371 times)

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: NEW FOR 2009: Zendrum Z4 Series
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 08:13:05 PM »

That's right, and I asked him to keep it on the downlow until now.
If anybody wants a Custom trigger layout, that can all be independent triggers wherever you want them to be.
Only John gets what the heck to do with this layout.
Not for rookies.
I need to see playing video John!!!
How about now?!
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 09:12:38 PM »

Sorry if that photo was confusing, but yes it is loaded!  This is the prototype that I am working with.  Just wanted to show another masterpiece from David.

I will say this.  If you are considering a custom layout you need to spend a good deal of time playing and understanding the instrument.  Once it is built your stuck with it.  In my case, this layout works with my style.

Yes, I promise a new video soon!

John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

HostileReality

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 08:03:08 AM »

Good news about this, it's got me excited about the new possibilities. I have a couple of questions:

Does the new circuit board mean you can play even more sensitive than before? so you can be even lighter and just stroke the pads and it will pick it up?

Has the issue with using Stylus RMX been fixed, is there a workaround for that now? i think there was talk about being able to change the note length of the Zendrum's midi which would be able to overcome this issue- and that function possibly being added in a future chip upgrade.

I own an LT model from last year. Can you add new pads and inputs to the LT's? (not that i need them, just wondering)

thanks!

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 08:25:18 AM »

Hey HR, I'm glad you brought this up now-

Yes, besides the overall better speed, the lighter touch "ghost notes" track more precisely. Rudimental things I used to have to play on two or three triggers for the speed, I can now play on ONE. That's what you'll notice first- More accuracy and detail and speed.

Regarding Stylus-
Yes, we consulted with the manufacturer and came up with a 10ms number for the note off that should let RMX "see" the note on. It should also assist some other software issues.

Thanks for the question,
David
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

duojet

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 11:44:05 AM »

David,

A couple quick questions:

1. How would you suggest packing the Zendrum for shipping and do you have any recommendations on what service to use? I want to try to minimize cost but keep it safe and also have a decent turnaround.

2. Can you give any kind of technical explanation on how the extra sensitivity/dynamics is achieved? I am assuming the triggers themselves were not the limiting factor (since they will not be modified), but somehow the circuit board provides the extra sensitivity with the existing triggers. Is it both dynamic range AND speed of picking up hits or just speed?

Sorry, I know #2 may sound a bit confusing but since this will cost me around $500 including shipping without being able to try it out I want to get as good an idea of what's really changed.

Thanks!

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 08:21:18 AM »

Is it both dynamic range AND speed of picking up hits or just speed?

Its both.  I don't know physically what the board changes, but obviously the triggers were picking up info and the firmware wasn't actually using it.  Now it's sensitive enough to use it.
Play nice.

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 12:14:19 PM »

Hey Duo,
It took a whole day to get the right answer for you.
(I had to do a Vulcan mind meld with my code-writing engineer and speak geek...ouch)

The technical specs as I understand them are-
The previous 3.0 circuitboard was spitting out data as fast as it could go @ one and a half million instructions per second. The new Z4 series will be processing @ sixty million instructions per second. The Z4 is also performing additional digital signal processing duties including input learn and noise floor scaling, cc assignable inputs, individual trigger channels, and sending info out in a much faster and cleaner way with MIDI stream packing from a state of the art processor. (None of these more complex features were possible to write on the 3.0 platform)

The Triggers themselves are not changed, but the resolution of the trigger strikes are calculated much faster and with much greater accuracy, resulting in much more precision thoughout.

It has been created with the latest software and hardware compatibility in mind so that Stylus, Ableton and other programs can "see" the MIDI notes that were over too quickly before to be recognized by that particular software. This is a very helpful solution for a lot of Zendrummers who were adding MIDIox as a workaround to extend the notes or found the Zendrum incompatible with a certain program they already owned.

Regarding shipping back for retrofit work after June 1-
After we have communicated privately about your retrofit details and created a work order together with specifics about any/all additional modifications, I will ask you to ship Domestic FedEx Ground with the return agreed to via same service and include the return shipping charges in your work order total once it has been calculated.

Ship in a double thick box carton if possible inside the gigbag with lots of bubble wrap packed around it. Insure it and specify signature required upon delivery.
We've got until June 1 to clarify any retrofit modifications and schedule shipping and benchtime into a satisfactory turnaround estimate.
David
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 02:49:41 PM »

The previous 3.0 circuitboard was spitting out data as fast as it could go @ one and a half million instructions per second. The new Z4 series will be processing @ sixty million instructions per second. The Z4 is also performing additional digital signal processing duties including input learn and noise floor scaling, cc assignable inputs, individual trigger channels, and sending info out in a much faster and cleaner way with MIDI stream packing from a state of the art processor.

During the beta testing, was there any change in how long the wireless Battery Box lasted?  At so much more processing power, one would think the batteries wouldn't last as long.
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 03:51:57 PM »

Hey there Peabody,

Circuits are also more energy efficient now than 14 years ago, too!
Earliest meter tests say we're at the same power consumption as before even with a lot more processing engine working. We'll have to burn that into the Draken's test run. You'll be the final judge of battery life, and I'm sure you'll let me know! :)
David
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

duojet

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 04:25:39 PM »

Hey Duo,
It took a whole day to get the right answer for you.
(I had to do a Vulcan mind meld with my code-writing engineer and speak geek...ouch)

The technical specs as I understand them are-
The previous 3.0 circuitboard was spitting out data as fast as it could go @ one and a half million instructions per second. The new Z4 series will be processing @ sixty million instructions per second. The Z4 is also performing additional digital signal processing duties including input learn and noise floor scaling, cc assignable inputs, individual trigger channels, and sending info out in a much faster and cleaner way with MIDI stream packing from a state of the art processor. (None of these more complex features were possible to write on the 3.0 platform)

The Triggers themselves are not changed, but the resolution of the trigger strikes are calculated much faster and with much greater accuracy, resulting in much more precision thoughout.

It has been created with the latest software and hardware compatibility in mind so that Stylus, Ableton and other programs can "see" the MIDI notes that were over too quickly before to be recognized by that particular software. This is a very helpful solution for a lot of Zendrummers who were adding MIDIox as a workaround to extend the notes or found the Zendrum incompatible with a certain program they already owned.

Regarding shipping back for retrofit work after June 1-
After we have communicated privately about your retrofit details and created a work order together with specifics about any/all additional modifications, I will ask you to ship Domestic FedEx Ground with the return agreed to via same service and include the return shipping charges in your work order total once it has been calculated.

Ship in a double thick box carton if possible inside the gigbag with lots of bubble wrap packed around it. Insure it and specify signature required upon delivery.
We've got until June 1 to clarify any retrofit modifications and schedule shipping and benchtime into a satisfactory turnaround estimate.
David

thanks david! this helps alot.

weeksville

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 07:06:39 AM »

Is the retrofit available for longer than immediately?  I don't have the $$ right now to upgrade but do want "The Full Monty" upgrade with new board and max out the triggers which with S&H may be well over $600.

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 07:20:47 AM »

Yes, it will always be available whenever you're ready.
David
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 07:37:28 AM »

During the beta testing, was there any change in how long the wireless Battery Box lasted?  At so much more processing power, one would think the batteries wouldn't last as long.

Aww, damn, when I had the prototype I didn't think to test that.  I didn't take it out to play, so it was all in my den and I was wired.

I should have thought of that...
Play nice.

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 11:06:14 AM »

Don't sweat it, Geo.
Will have the battery life answer tested and proven BEFORE anything ships.
We've got battery boxes here in stock, so no worries.
Putting the last coding in the 1st production model circuitboard for final testing, adding some cool functionality goodies you'll like a lot.
Will have more details and additional features to share very soon about this 4.1.
Stay tuned...
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 11:45:45 AM »

Excellent news, good work by the Zendrum team.  8)

Liking the idea of the MIDI Note flexibility and the increase in the MIDI Note signal which should make using Reason possible with a Zendrum.

Hope to get around to upgrading to the Z4 version soon.

Cheers
Mick
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up