Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW FOR 2009: Zendrum Z4 Series  (Read 19161 times)

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
NEW FOR 2009: Zendrum Z4 Series
« on: May 01, 2009, 07:03:53 AM »

Hey Everybody,
There's a brand new very improved Zendrum circuitboard in town, and that means it's a new day where possibilities are almost endless. If you are interested in a new Zendrum, or upgrading an old reliable Zendrum to meet current specs, or designing yourself a Custom Shop work of art, this is what you've been asking for, dreaming of, and waiting on. We listened to all of your ideas and suggestions...so here you go! Imagine the open-ended creativity and ENJOY our Newest Brainchild!
Write or call for complete details and customizing options.
David Haney
Inspector 109
404-352-1646 vm
orders@zendrum.com

for immediate press release from Zendrum World HQ:

NEW FOR 2009
THE ZENDRUM Z4 SERIES

The Z4 represents a huge step forward in precision, speed, resolution, and dynamic articulation.

The Zendrum was already the perfect midi percussion controller for both hardware and software instruments. Now with the new Z4 upgrade, the best has just gotten even better!

The new Dedicated Save function makes it much easier to try out edits before committing them. You can change several parameters of a preset then simply revert back to the previously saved version with ease. Or you can easily commit the changes to be there when you fire the Zendrum back up.

The new MIDI Channel-Per-Pad feature has vastly opened up the programming options. Now you can control multiple VST instruments with one preset. You can set up some pads to trigger drums, some to control a soft synth, and still others to fire off audio loops in your VST host...all simultaneously! New Hihat pedal control input, volume pedal control input and additional trigger pad expansion maximize today's software and hardware.

Most importantly, the playing "feel" has been improved. It was already the best of any MIDI controller out there, but the designers at Zendrum have managed to make it even more "live" feeling. The Zendrum was already able to detect even the softest of hits, and now it picks up every single stroke and nuance of even 32nd note and 64th note finger rolls. It's like you're touching the sounds themselves! There is no other controller on the market that can equal the Zendrum's touch sensitivity and quality construction.

THOSE WHO KNOW FEEL THE FREEDOM

"I have been playing this new Z4 series Zendrum for a couple of months now and it is a giant leap over what was already one of the best electronic percussion devices in the world. The increased speed was the first thing that I noticed followed by noticeable detail improvements from the velocity curves. The MIDI channel-per-pad function allows for more advanced setups and the Continuous Control options are great! Get this upgrade!"
John Emrich- Zendrummer, Sound Designer, Consultant

Instrument prices remain unchanged for 2009
see our catalog at
http://www.zendrum.com/catalog.html

Z4 Retrofits for all '96-present Zendrums @ $400 + shipping

Z4 Rebuild for '94/95 Datawheel ZX @ $600 + shipping

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 02:13:42 PM by Geosphere »
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

TheSteve

Re: NEW FOR 2009: Zendrum Z4 Series
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 09:47:43 AM »

Most importantly, the playing "feel" has been improved. It was already the best of any MIDI controller out there, but the designers at Zendrum have managed to make it even more "live" feeling. The Zendrum was already able to detect even the softest of hits, and now it picks up every single stroke and nuance of even 32nd note and 64th note finger rolls. It's like you're touching the sounds themselves! There is no other controller on the market that can equal the Zendrum's touch sensitivity and quality construction.

Is this new sensitivity a result of new electronics or are there new touch pads too?

Also, what are the possibilities of extra triggers on an already finished instrument? Would the process damage the finish of a completed Zendrum or would it go unnoticed?  What would be a ballpark figure per extra trigger?

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 10:09:16 AM »

You think a Ferrari is fast until you ride a fighter jet.

You thought your Zendrum was responsive until you play the Z4.

It really is an eye-opener.
Play nice.

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 11:39:27 AM »

Hey Steve,

Yes, in terms of specs on paper the new Z4 is many times as fast a scan rate than before.
The trigger construction remains the same.
The best way to describe the feel is better accuracy and smoother dynamics.
Like having more pixels in a photograph. I've watched Futureman play mine for hours and it was amazing. He was able to ghost-note buzz roll on one trigger and it never missed a stroke. The first prototypes went around to some longtime Zendrummers who would immediately tell the difference in comparison to the 3.0.

Yes, we can add up to four more independent triggers and two cc 1/4" jacks for Hihat and Volume pedals to your older Zendrum. Each input mod will be $30 installed.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 11:40:29 AM by Inspector 109 »
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 01:16:19 PM »

This is amazing... it's going to open up so much more for everyone who owns one.

Question: the 1/4" jacks you've spoken of--I'm assuming these would work essentially like the footswitch outputs on keyboards? 

You've spoken a lot about the new chip's VST compatibility, but can I also assume it'll have the same benefits for those of us still using modules?  I haven't seen a need to give up my DTX yet, but I'd love to take advantage of some of these new features.
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 01:27:46 PM »

You've spoken a lot about the new chip's VST compatibility, but can I also assume it'll have the same benefits for those of us still using modules?

You can have different pads trigger different modules now.  So some pads trigger, say, your usual drum brain, and some pads run a different sampler, or maybe a melodic box or something.
Play nice.

weeksville

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 07:22:24 PM »

Is this just a chip upgrade? 

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 11:14:21 PM »

No, this can't be done with a chip swap to the old 3.0 circuitboard.
This is a completely new circuitboard with enhanced capabilities and superior speed. It was not possible to add all these new features to the 3.0 circuitboards. This is whole different engine.
The internal modification must be done here, by me, and includes a complete tune up and trigger diagnostic test.
This makes it possible for any Zendrummer to move forward to the next revision without having to buy a whole new Zendrum to get these expanded features and functionality.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

weeksville

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 05:14:41 AM »

In a previous post you said "Yes, we can add up to four more independent triggers and two cc 1/4" jacks for Hihat and Volume pedals to your older Zendrum. Each input mod will be $30 installed."

I have a 2 year old ZX.  You can add 4 trig and 2 1/4" CC plugs to it?

#1 Does that mean (4 trigs + 2 1/4" plugs) * $30 = $180 more than the $400 for the upgrade? (ie $580 to fully upgrade)
#2 Where would the 4 new triggers physically be on the zendrum?
#3 Where would the 2 new 1/4" plugs be.
#4 Does the Z4 have the extra trigs and inputs standard?
#5 Is there a picture of the new Z4 available?

If you would rather answer questions via email I can stop using the forum  just let me know.  I think these may be questions that might get asked of you over and over though..

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 05:20:04 AM by weeksville »

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 08:13:17 AM »

It's cool to do this here instead of in private email.
Looking at the number of emails I have to answer today I'd say I'm going to be very busy for awhile!

First of all, my thinking was- We haven't had a major change in electronics since 1996, and no software chip upgrades since 1999. The main reason was that we had pushed the older 3.0 board to its limits. That was okay too because it still smokes anything else in the industry for speed and touch sensitivity. (In other words: There isn't anything "wrong" with what you've got now)

Over the years we asked for feedback and input and we received countless requests for more features to go into the R&D wish list "whenever" we could get it done. It's been a very long and costly process to design, engineer, prototype, and test, but it's FINALLY here. More importantly, with this Z4 circuitboard, the foundation for adding many expanded features in the future is in place.

Let's be real- the goal is to sell new Zendrums to an ever-expanding market and provide compatibility with today's software and hardware. It has always been my choice not to make anything with planned obsolescence in mind like most other manufacturers do as a matter of generating repetitive sales. I want all Zendrums to last a lifetime, not be discarded.
I have offered upgrades for Zendrums built as far back as 1994-95.

This is why we're announcing the upgrade option at exactly the same time as the new release.

Now to your questions-

"I have a 2 year old ZX.  You can add 4 trig and 2 1/4" CC plugs to it?"
Yes, we now have the capability to make those mods.

#1 "Does that mean (4 trigs + 2 1/4" plugs) * $30 = $180 more than the $400 for the upgrade? (ie $580 to fully upgrade)"
Correct. If you want everything we can possibly add

#2 "Where would the 4 new triggers physically be on the zendrum?"
You can mark with tape or ink where you would like to add up to four triggers and I will drill and install them where you wish as long as there is physical room for it and no two triggers touch.

#3 "Where would the 2 new 1/4" plugs be?"
Installed next to the other two on the backplate on your ZX.

#4 "Does the Z4 have the extra trigs and inputs standard?"
No, but those will also be optional upgrades @ $30 per mod.

#5 "Is there a picture of the new Z4 available?"
It's a new circuiboard, not a new body design.

Hope this helps,
David
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 08:26:21 AM »

This is great news for Zendrummers. The long awaited upgrade is here. I have a couple of more questions that might be of interest for all.

1-Does this upgrade still have the crossfading capabilities?
2- What is the estimate for turn around to upgrade?
3- Will we be able to play rolls and flams now?

Thumper

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 02:27:18 PM »

Hey Thumper,

1-Does this upgrade still have the crossfading capabilities?

Yes, but it's not one of the 16 default Set Ups anymore.
Any trigger can be crossfaded same as before and stored as part of any Set Up.
In response to user-feedback- the crossfaded points are hard-switched at preset points for soft/medium,loud,HOT sequential MIDI note numbers. This eliminates the "flanging" sound when drum samples of similar genre are played simultaneously between the crossfade points on the older 3.0 rev circuitboards. The point is- in drum modules you could choose soft brush, to snare rod, to rock batter, to a head splitting rimshot on one trigger as a single composite drum sound.

2- What is the estimate for turn around to upgrade?

I think I can do the work in one day here, even if I'm adding triggers and 1/4" jacks.
Shipping is the main time required.

3- Will we be able to play rolls and flams now?

Let me put it like this:
I watched Futureman here for four hours play non-stop on my Zendrum a couple of weeks ago.
I couldn't believe the sensitivity of what he was able to get from it. Like a ghost note buzz roll using four or five fingers on one trigger at a tiny, tiny dynamic volume. That wasn't possible before, not even for him. Now can "I" do that? I don't know...but I doubt it!
Now, whether or not ANY software or hardware can keep up with a Z4 is a whole 'nother show. Since you already know what a Zendrum feels like, I think you'll be amazed at what you can do with it now.

David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

weeksville

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 05:30:03 PM »

Who do you get your boxes from for shipping?  Is there a standard size box you would recommend?

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 06:16:24 PM »

#5 Is there a picture of the new Z4 available?

Here you go!  This thing plays as nice as it looks.

John
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 06:17:28 PM by john emrich »
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 07:35:03 PM »

PLEASE NOTE:

Johns pic above IS NOT what the new Z4 looks like.

That is an absolutely custom rig.  You have always been able to rearrange pads for a price.

Standard Z4s look 100% like a regular model.

John is just showing how custom you can take it.
Play nice.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up