Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need a Midi "A/B" Footswitch....any ideas,....?  (Read 3579 times)

bambamvdrummer

I need a Midi "A/B" Footswitch....any ideas,....?
« on: April 21, 2009, 02:20:23 AM »

I have 2 separate so8und modules I am using at different times, but would like to be able to switch my zendrum from one to the other by way of using a footswitch. One module is the BOSS DR-880, and the other is the BOSS JS-5.
<p>
The DR-880 has so many amazing sounds with crisp cymbals, and I use it the most, but the JS-5 has sounds I still want to use that do not appear in the DR-880, (and vice versa) . If I Midi one into the other, the patch numbers will collide and defeat the purpose of having sounds from both available to me to use.
<p>
I need some kind of Midi A/B switch that will allow me to have the output of my Merge Brick to go to both units, but not at the same time. I would have both sound modules plugged into the same amp, but again, they are never being used at the same time by the zendrum.   
<p>
Has anyone heard of a Midi "A/B" Footswitch that has been made to do this yet? ???
<p>
The only other idea I have is to have the merge bring plugged into both permanently, in a "Y" adaptor way that sends midi signals to both at the same time, and use a BOSS AB-2 2 way selector footswitch (that I already have) for quarter inch cables to make the output of each sound module be the signal I am selecting instead of trying to do it with the midi end of the connection, but I think that might create confusion for the zendrum itself before it sends signals to each sound modules, and could again, defeat the purpose....And it might be bad for the zendrum to use it on 2 midi connections at once.....
<p>
anyone have any thoughts?
<p>
Has anyone ever used their Zendrum on 2 different midi sound modules at once?  (simultaneously?)

Bambamvdrummer.

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: I need a Midi "A/B" Footswitch....any ideas,....?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 05:02:37 AM »

Hey Bam Bam,

I think Behringer makes a MIDI command pedal with that capability, but it may be unnecessary and over-complicated for what you want to do...

Both the modules are probably set to either MIDI channel 10 or OMNI mode.
You'll need to dedicate each one to a specific channel like say- 9&10.
Program identical Set Up note maps in the the Zendrum next to one another, say- 1&2, and designate the channel to 9 for one and 10 for the other.

Change the Set Up from the Zendrum side and leave the modules' MIDI daisy-chained together. That should do it without spending $!
Hope this helps,
David
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 05:06:57 AM by Inspector 109 »
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 11:26:52 AM »

One other idea, building off the daisy-chain concept:

If you can edit the volumes of sounds within your modules, you could set up the sounds in each module you like and just "mute" the rest.  They'll still be triggered by the MIDI, but they wouldn't sound out of your mains.
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 01:54:17 PM »

Expounding on 109's idea:

You could effectively double the number of notemaps in the Zendrum by just changing the channel when you need to (rather than setting UP1 to ch9 and UP2 to ch10).  You'd set your 16 notemaps, and then each could go to one of 2 modules... 32 possibilites!

Jer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 09:55:01 AM »

Avast Thar Matey,

I have two modules (Roland TD-20 and Korg Triton Rack).  I have them daisy chained together on the same channel.  When I want to switch modules, I simply turn the volume control of one down and the other up.  But then again, I'm a very simple guy and don't like things to be too complex.  Hope this helps.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

nZenEar

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 09:41:41 AM »

Bam Bam,

Get the Z4 upgrade (you want it anyway!) and then assign a seperate channel to each device as the Inspector suggested then setup whatever trigger you like to go to whatever device you like by setting the trigger's individual channel

n

bambamvdrummer

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 12:57:08 AM »

I actually ended up doing something similar to this suggestion.

I picked up a MIDI-THRU 4-way Midi box from Midi Solutions. Using this box I was able to connect the Zendrum Midi out to BOTH sound modules at the same time. Then I took mono outputs from each sound module, plugged them into a BOSS AB-2 2-way selector switch, and had just the one main quarter inch coming out of that for my monitors and the house.....

This way I could,

switch back and forth between the 2 on the fly,..(which is easier than pushing buttons when the change happens)

and change patch numbers quietly in the middle of songs to change instruments all through the song.

Its really pretty cool this way. The volumes stay where they are and things get lined up at the kick of a switch.

Thank you all for your suggestions though,....I will be getting that upgrade anyway,.....

Bambam.

Avast Thar Matey,

I have two modules (Roland TD-20 and Korg Triton Rack).  I have them daisy chained together on the same channel.  When I want to switch modules, I simply turn the volume control of one down and the other up.  But then again, I'm a very simple guy and don't like things to be too complex.  Hope this helps.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate

bassoneman

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 12:42:15 AM »

I just got a Boss DR-880 can you bring the bass tone into the Zendrum. I guess the drums are on channel 10 and the Bass on Channel 2. I would be nice if you could..

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 07:19:31 AM »

If you get the Z-4 upgrade, it enables you to use diffrent midi channels to separate triggers.
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on
Pages: [1]   Go Up