Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: so, the zendrum...  (Read 2109 times)

Atardecer

so, the zendrum...
« on: April 17, 2009, 03:57:32 AM »

Hey all,

Ive been longing for a zendrum for quite some time now. I have an old roland td-6 kit which is ok but i find the sensitivity unsatisfying. I use a receptor running bfd so i know that the latency issues will be ok and i like the idea of having a portable rig thats easy to get around. I work as an engineer for the atrist Lisa Gerrard and do some touring with her and would love to take the zendrum with me!

Now had a couple of questions:

ZX or LT? I would be using it both in the studio and live - no problem standing up and i'm already working on my guitarist shoegazing skills. Im leaning towards the ZX but wondering which model you guys find easier to learn and adapt to.
Also any of you folk in Australia? Im wondering about taxes and also customs - given some of the woods involved could there be possible quarantine issues. I have some guitarist friends who have had problems and expenses importing guitars in the past.

Looking forward to being part of the zendrum community! I'm determined to really learn this instrument and make it my own!

Cheers,
James

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Re: so, the zendrum...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 07:06:34 AM »

Hey James,

You are making a wise decision purchasing one of these baby's. The receptor with BFD and the Zendrum is the ultimate way to go, in my opinion. Now as far as comparing the LT vs ZX, the LT configuration sets up more like a drum kit and the mapping of the drums can make it easier on the learning curve. The ZX is a little bit trickier with regards to mapping and the learning curve may be steeper, but the ZX has a "cool factor" when playing in the stand up position. If the sitting position is more desirable, the LT is the choice. You can also add beaterless pedals to the rig to assist you if you are interested in that, but if you use both the high hat and bass pedals, obviously, you will be sitting. It is a TOUGH decision and there are plenty of us that went through this agonizing decision. You will be happy no matter which one you get. It may be good to get both. :) Good Luck and let me know when you come to Atlanta.

Mark
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 09:07:35 AM »

Welcome to the Techno-Tribe James!
If you already have the Receptor the Zendrum is the key to making a real pro instrument rig.
You may be surprised what you can get from the old TD-6 with a Zendrum, too!
It's a whole different animal when you can play melody from the GM bank. You can also use the Roland for the kick drum pedal trigger interface, and then daisy-chain into the Receptor.
It might be cool to mix the 6's "electro" sounds into the ultra-realism of VST through the Receptor's aux stereo inputs for hybrid combinations. Too cool...and too much fun.

We've shipped to Australia many times with no problems reported by the addressee. Let me know what you find out from your guitar mates about wood species issues. That's a new one on me.

Elaborating a bit on Dr. Shark's answer- It's easier for me to play ZX because the triggers are a little more widely spaced. I'm used to thwacking drums with sticks and the movements are a little less fine on my ZX than on LT or ZAP. I can still flat palm across three or more triggers and just shade back and forth to do kick/snare/ride patterns with one hand allowing me to free my other hand for ghost notes and flams, but really you can do anything on a ZX that you can do on a LT. I play my ZX across my lap when I'm rehearsing or just jamming with friends. I think people who are keyboard oriented gravitate more towards the LT or ZAP because they already have the fine motor finger dexterity. It was a skill that I had to remember from my bass playing days long ago.

The relative size of the ZX is 32 inches nose to tail, whereas the LT is 18 inches wingtip to wingtip. The ZAP is 12 inches across the front edge.

Hope this helps!
David
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Atardecer

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 01:28:38 AM »

Great, thanks for the replies  :)

Yeah ive definately leaning towards the ZX simply for the "cool" factor! I like the fact that the pads might be more closely spaced on that unit too. Im not necesarily looking to play standard conventional kits so i like the possibilities that the zendrum might throw up in playing grooves that I perhaps otherwise wouldnt/couldnt think to do with a normal kit. Thats an interesting idea to use the td-6 module in conjunction with the receptor - will have to try that out! Im going to go with a standard maple model i think so shouldnt have any issues with quatantine etc. Just gotta work out costs as our australian dollar aint so good at the moment  :(

James

Badger

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 02:18:06 PM »

Hey James,

I've had the chance to try all 3 Zendrums and, even after that, it really was a difficult decision. Though ultimately I decided on the LT (a wonderful instrument!), I've been thinking about getting a ZX as well.

As a follow-up to a Sonikmatter.com interview of Inspector 109, I wrote up some of my impressions of the 3 models on their forum. Please have a look at http://community.sonikmatter.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40188&view=findpost&p=242276

Hopefully it will help in your decision. On the other hand, it could make things even more difficult.  ;-)  Regardless, whether you choose the ZX or LT, I know you will be excited about what you can do with a Zen.

Best to you! And if you ever make it to Atlanta, let me know as well!

Jeff

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 09:38:08 AM »

James,

I am the proud owner of an LT and a ZX.  If you're looking for user impressions, I will advise you to go with the ZX, especially if you have any guitar experience.  It just "feels" right on a strap... it ergonomically fits like a guitar, and the pads are plenty close.  I agree with the prior statement that the LT might be preferable for seated playing; I use mine on a stand exclusively... in fact, mine doesn't even HAVE straplocks on it.

By the way, speaking of the stand, I'll have to get pics up of mine.  I modified the Zendrum Co. wooden stand plate on my tablesaw and router table (I removed the "wing" portions and shortened the front "nose" so it matches the contour of the front of the LT) and screwed a Roland-style module bracket to the bottom (a metal one, not Roland's plastic model) and mounted THAT into the middle tube of a Tama cymbal stand.  It is tall enough for standing play (that's what I use it for) and looks way cleaner than having it clamped in a snare stand basket.

Jer
Pages: [1]   Go Up