Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tapping noise and sensitivity  (Read 3062 times)

KlingKlang

Tapping noise and sensitivity
« on: April 05, 2009, 02:12:12 PM »

Hi

Just found out about the zendrum today and it looks fantastic. I have two short questions about it.

I need something that is really quiet, so I'm wondering how loud the tap noise is (not counting the triggered sound). That might be hard to tell exactly but is it: totally quiet; almost quiet, like playing a midikeyboard; about the same as Roland HPD-10 or similar devices;like playing ordinary electronic drums? Just give me some idea of sound level.

I'm also wondering how sensitive it is. Ive tried the padkontrol which a lot of people say is the most sensitive pad controller and found that you have to tap that quite hard. Of course its hard to give an exact answer, but I would just like to have an idea of how hard you have to tap the zendrum to get maximum velocity at the maximum sensitivity.

Thanks in advance

TNT

Re: Tapping noise and sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 03:57:19 PM »

I just got one recently; and, so far, I  LOVE  it!  (It's quite a challenge learning to play it, though!)

To answer your questions:

1)  It's somewhere between totally quiet and almost quiet.  (using your measurement system)  I'd call it very quiet.  It really depends on how hard you tap the triggers.

Which leads me to your other question:

2)  You can adjust the noise floor (determines the minimum force needed to trigger a sound) and the velocity curve (determines the dynamic response up to max volume for any force of trigger hit) to suit  your needs and playing style.

I can play my Zendrum using a sound module and headphones, and my wife in the next room doesn't even know that I am playing.  But, it sounds nice and loud in the cans!    ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 09:09:25 AM by TNT »

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 07:00:18 AM »

Put your palm on a desk.  Lift up about an inch.  Hit the desk with your forefinger as hard as you can.

You will never need to hit a Zendrum that hard and it will never be that loud.
Play nice.

Javajive64

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 08:30:23 AM »

I am new to zen drumming and just received mine in March.

I was surprised just how sensitive it was. I actually tap it harder than I need to, so I'm trying to condition myself to have a lighter tough.

Also, before I tried one I thought the pads were rubber and would require more force. This isn't the case, they are a hard material which responds better to tapping.

The tapping without the sound on is quieter than playing a keyboard without the sound on.

Hope this helps.

KlingKlang

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 09:58:12 AM »

Thanks for the answers. I'm so tempted to buy one ;D.

jeff sanders

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 02:06:59 PM »

Thanks for the answers. I'm so tempted to buy one ;D.

mention where your from, maybe you can get someone near you to let you tap on his/hers before you buy. that will be the best deal for you and zendrum both. once you play one, you will want one. however you imagine it will be to try one out, it will actually be better when you tap on it. get yo cash up and do it. make a cardboard cutout of a zendrum. get a hat to put out then just beatbox while you tap on the cardboard zendrum on the corner.  put some multi colored ribbons around for cancer survivors, the troops and breast feeding in public etc. not sure any of that will help but it would make a great video and you could add a donation link to the video, too. there ought  to be a hundred dollar wham bam fee for tribespeople that recruit another by letting them hands on. the best way to convince a potential buyer is a hands on session. it may seem impossible but the awesome looks of the zendrum will take a second seat once you realize the playability those solid little black circles offer. get creative in your fund raising and good luck acquiring a zendrum, new or used.

Badger

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 03:04:52 PM »

KlingKlang,

Obviously it is hard to make such a purchase without having a chance to try it out. I am fortunate enough to live in metro Atlanta and was able to go to Zendrum and try one for myself. 3 of us went there to interview David Haney for Sonikmatter.com, spent a few minutes playing all 3 models, and within 3 days, 2 of us had placed our orders. In fact, one of the orders was placed that very afternoon!

I have no doubt that anyone not having had a chance to try one, would NOT be disappointed with a Zendrum the instant they "klanged" one for the first time. Still, I too recommend you make an effort to locate a Zendrummer in your area. You will find them to be a great bunch and willing, no... excited to show off their babies.

If you would like to read my first impressions of the Zendrums, please visit http://interview.sonikmatter.com/ and read The Zendrum Interview. I tried to be as objective as possible describing the experience.

I hope you decide to join the tribe. You will love this family of instruments!

Best... Jeff

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 10:09:49 AM »

Earlier in this thread our pal Jeff mentioned getting creative with funding.  I have a story I'd like to share too...

I was a poor college student when I discovered the Zendrum.  This music store I frequented had a demo video they were playing in the drum area, and I was HOOKED.  I saw that video a hundred times!  And then... I went in there one day, and literally sitting on the floor was a Zendrum.  Just sitting there.  Apparently a guitarist had seen the video, bought one, and then for whatever reason traded it in at the store.  So I played it, and of course LOVED it.  I had to have it; I was rabid!  And of course, other people were looking at it too.  I vividly recall that my "good buddy" price was quoted at $1100, which may as well have been $11,000,000 for the likelihood of my getting the cash together before it sold.

Well, I finally put together enough cash (with the help of a credit card too) and went down to the store to buy it after a month or so of wiping drool off my chin after playing it.  And, of course, it had been sold mere hours before.  I was crushed... I couldn't afford a new one, and this opportunity had just seemed so fortuitous.

I immediately left the store and drove to a buddy's house for band practice (at which I had planned to unveil my new Zendrum).  He met me at the car with a sly smile and said "guess what I just bought?"  Of course I had no idea, and was not in the mood for games anyway.  He shrugged and helped me load my gear in.  Next thing I know he's smiling and teasingly opening a long narrow box.  You know what was inside of course.

I was LIVID.  He KNEW I wanted that Zendrum and how hard I'd been scheming to buy it.  I knew he liked it too, but, damnit, I was the drummer!!!  I tried to be happy for him but inside I wasn't.  Once he finally realized how angry I was, he laughed and said "Dude, I bought it for YOU!"  Turns out, some guy was looking at it in the store and it was starting to look like he was going to get it... so my buddy swooped in and slapped down a card, and the rest is history.  It took a long time for me to pay him back, but we had a coffee shop acoustic gig THAT NIGHT and I played my new Zendrum... didn't even bring a drumkit.  (I probably really sucked, but that's another story!)

That's a good buddy for you!  That was 1997, and we're STILL playing together, Zendrum and all (different Zendrums though!)

Sorry for the lengthy post.  Happy 4th!

Jer
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 11:14:25 AM by zendrumdude »

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 07:30:20 PM »

I have to say, I have been playing out for just over 20 years, I knew about the Zendrum, always wanted to get one but just never took the leap.  My wife surprised me in April and bought one for me.  It took me about a week to get used to it, and now, 2 months later, I am playing it religiously.  I should have purchased one sooner.  I just got back to the states 2 weeks ago from a tour in Iraq and will be hitting some open mic nights by the end of the month with some friends of mine.  I think it is well worth the money.  As for the tapping noise, I get it out in the morning while my family is still sleeping and they are not even aware that I am jamming on it.  I found that I am actually tapping my ZX harder than I need to.  I have started setting the crossfade on all of my pads and setting the lighter touch sounds to the drum that I want and the louder sounds to a cowbell.  Everytime I hear the cowbell sound I know I am hitting that pad harder than I need to.  I am located in the St. Louis area, if you are near St. Louis, drop me a line, I will be glad to show off my baby.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

jeff sanders

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 02:39:24 PM »

great story. there was a circuit with that zen and you that needed completed. glad you plugged in.

rob, that sounds like a great built in velocity trainer with that cross fade technique.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 11:13:49 AM »

Jeff,

There's even more to the story of that particular ZX.  When I decided to finally make the custom plunge and get a Zendrum made for myself, I sold that ZX on eBay.  The guy who bought it was in Spain!  That ZX has seen more of the world than I have!

Jer

jeff sanders

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 03:49:12 PM »

the diamond life, international jet setter. what a gig  :)

nZenEar

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 04:12:35 PM »

Hi

Just found out about the zendrum today and it looks fantastic. I have two short questions about it.

I need something that is really quiet, so I'm wondering how loud the tap noise is (not counting the triggered sound). That might be hard to tell exactly but is it: totally quiet; almost quiet, like playing a midikeyboard; about the same as Roland HPD-10 or similar devices;like playing ordinary electronic drums? Just give me some idea of sound level.

I'm also wondering how sensitive it is. Ive tried the padkontrol which a lot of people say is the most sensitive pad controller and found that you have to tap that quite hard. Of course its hard to give an exact answer, but I would just like to have an idea of how hard you have to tap the zendrum to get maximum velocity at the maximum sensitivity.

Thanks in advance

As to the original message from KilingKlang.  With Z4 calibration you can decide how hard is maximum.  There is plenty of room in the sampling for soft tapping producing the maximum output in additon to the response curves (which you can change without saving on the fly when everyone's asleep) to taylor the sensitivity to your needs.  Try it out!
Pages: [1]   Go Up