Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Midi channel assignment  (Read 2980 times)

Slavedave

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
Midi channel assignment
« on: February 26, 2009, 12:19:43 pm »

Hi from Dublin, Ireland.
I was reading an interview with DH on Sonikmatter and one of the questions asked in the interview was whether the software implementation for midi would allow assigning a different midi channel per pad.  Has this been implemented and I just haven't got the nouse to do it or is this still in the pipeline?  I love being able to step through the kits on my drumkat and have them play different virtual instruments per kit / per pad.  It seems to be the absolute in terms of flexibility and I could see this as being invaluable with the Zendrum.  I could then set up one softsynth per configuration and then step through them in a set or even within a song.  Any pointers as to where to check this on my LT to see if it is already there?  I tried setting a different midichannel number on consecutive kits but it seemed to remain on the last midi channel number that I selected.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: Midi channel assignment
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 12:34:44 pm »

Hey Dave,
It's all global per each Set Up.
You can use a MIDI remapper or a software program to accomplish splitting channels based on the note sent.
Hope this helps!
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Slavedave

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 01:00:56 pm »

Thanks for such a speedy response!  I have a further clarification question though. If the midi channel is global across the complete set up, how would one go about remapping  the channel purely  by selecting a new patch via the interface (up/down arrow buttons).  For example, if I set up the 1st configuration for a drumkit outputting on channel 10 and then select the next patch up to work on percussion it would still be outputting on channel 10.  Would i have to externally mute the drumkit and solo the percussion instruments (both VSTi's by the way - ezdrummer Nashville and Latin ezx's) through the software interface (Toontrack solo)?  I ask because last week I was playing at a large youth event in Ireland and it would have been great to change patches on the fly between drums and percussion.  In the end, I alternated between a handsonic and the LT running vsti.  How would I control the audio output so that the same midi channel doesn't trigger both sound sources?  I hope this makes sense.
Thanks for your patience with a midi novice.

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 06:28:28 pm »

Hey Dave,

I'm not a DFH expert, but I need to ask here- Does this software allow you to designate sounds to specific MIDI notes? If it does, then Drumset can be one Zendrum set up map and Percussion another, and simply toggle between the two maps.
That "should" be easy.
I know I can do this with BFD software, maybe so with the DFH Superior crossgrade/upgrade?
If "The Mayor" Tom Roady is listening, can he please shed some light?
Anybody else out there using Toontrack know this answer?

Let's please help our brother Slavedave out.
Thanks in advance, for the assist.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 09:13:20 am »

Hi SlaveDave,
sorry can't help much but I'm only up the road in Blackrock,Co. Louth with a Zendrum ZX and a Muse. Hope to see you playing soon.

Cheers
Mick

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 12:58:24 pm »

I'd love to see a feature where you could change channel on a pad by pad basis.

just sayin'.
Play nice.

Slavedave

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 02:24:42 pm »

Thanks for the responces gents.  Mustang, did I see you on the vdrums forum as well?  Good to know of at least one other zendrummer in Ireland.
Back on topic though, using my Drumkat I can select a midi output channel for each and every pad which is the ultimate in flexibility.  Would be a peach of a tweak to have on the Zendrum!
Onwards and upwards!

Badger

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 05:28:47 am »

Hey Slavedave and "Inspector 109" Dave. I'm a little late to the party on this one, and I don't have my LT in front of me to try it, but here's a question...

According to page 11 of the manual:

Set Up Note Map Select (UP)

Select Set Up 1-16 using either increment (+) or decrement (-). Each of the 16 Set Ups consist of: a note map, program change, maximum volume, noise floor, and MIDI channel. Scrolling through the numbers 1-16 will change ONLY the note maps without sending [?] the other commands. Pressing either left (>) or right (<) will send all set up parameters.

Furthermore, page 18 (Factory Preset List) states:

All set ups default to the following values:

Program: 0
Volume:  127
Floor:      4
Channel: 10

Isn't this saying that if I use the + and - that ONLY the programmed note map will change, but if i use the < and > buttons that all parameters in the setup will change? In other words, each setup can transmit on its own MIDI channel? Or am I misinterpreting what is meant by "send all set up parameters"?

Best to all,

Jeff Barnett

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 07:28:23 am »

Hey Badger,

You are precisely correct.
On the rev.31 software the ability to step between note maps without sending other Set Up messages- Pr, CH, VL,FL, etc was introduced.
Therefore yes, each Set Up can have it's own MIDI Channel.
Once you have sent the initial Set Up command 1-16 by selecting the number and then going left or right, you may then toggle between scales or melodic notes by only toggling 1-16 WITHOUT going left or right. This may prove more useful for melodic playing than on earlier revisions.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Slavedave

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 05:06:29 am »

Just following up on this.  Thanks for the replies.  Looks like the new updates are going to hit the mark anyways.  next question is how do I do the update without having to ship my zendrum to the States!!! :o
Have been playing on my trapkat and love the way I can pick an instrument from one vsti to play on one pad and then select a different vsti for a different pad (all on the same kit).  Now that you can do it on a Zen, portability becomes a new option again - I can leave the TK at home and take the LT.
Is shipping to USA the only option here?
Thanks

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 12:08:56 pm »

Just following up on this.  Thanks for the replies.  Looks like the new updates are going to hit the mark anyways.  next question is how do I do the update without having to ship my zendrum to the States!!! :o
Have been playing on my trapkat and love the way I can pick an instrument from one vsti to play on one pad and then select a different vsti for a different pad (all on the same kit).  Now that you can do it on a Zen, portability becomes a new option again - I can leave the TK at home and take the LT.
Is shipping to USA the only option here?
Thanks

Dave,
the Zendrum will have to go back to Zendrum Central....looks like there should be a discount deal with Delta Airlines to Atlanta Airport.  ;D

Mick

Slavedave

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 04:53:18 pm »

I see the big dollar sign looming :o   Any ideas of shipment costs, upgrade +insurance?   May be cost prohibitive at the mo!
Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up