Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The DRAKEN is coming! Watch for emerging details....  (Read 3573 times)

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
The DRAKEN is coming! Watch for emerging details....
« on: February 22, 2009, 03:17:09 PM »

Deposit has been made for a one-of-a-kind custom themed Zendrum ZX - The Draken!

More teaser details to follow.
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
Re: The DRAKEN is coming! Watch for emerging details....
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 05:37:06 AM »

Avast Thar Matey,

Would that be similar to the one of a kind, custom themed Jolly Roger ZX?

Fair winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 09:12:36 AM »

Would that be similar to the one of a kind, custom themed Jolly Roger ZX?

Lets see a pic so I can compare and contrast!   8)
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 08:50:57 AM »

Avast Thar Matey,

At your pleasure!  It is a solid, high gloss, piano black ZX and the ONLY zendrum with an embedded graphic (the skull and crossbones), which sits under 9 coats of clear acrylic liquor (or lacquer, whichever is appropriate, the end results are the same).  Even the Zendrum Logo is custom.  This was a collaborative effort between me (the Pyrate part) and David and Kim ( the making it into a functional work of art part).  Davis and Kim are true artists and Zendrums customer service is the absolut best.  I cannot say enough great things about the fine folks at Zendrum, even though they be a tad bit land locked.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:56:14 AM by Pyrate »
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

jeff sanders

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 12:06:40 PM »

that plank is way too beautiful to be walked upon.  :)

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 07:14:10 PM »

The woods have been selected.  Curly Maple / Zebrawood / Curly Maple

And the final inlays are on thier way.

The Draken is coming to life......

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 08:08:40 PM »

After a small flaw was found in the original Curly Maple, David exceeded all expectations and found an even better piece of Curly Maple.  According to David, this is only the second Zendrum to use this wood/finish selection, the last being in 1995 as a gift to a prominent musician.  The body is now finished and being shipped to me for the special inlay work.

So a little about the DRAKEN.

This will be the first Zendrum to ever have custom inlaying done to it.  David, Kim and I have worked very hard to ensure that the Zendrum wood remains the star and that the inlying is tied to a theme.  Interestingly enough, the luthier I am having do the inlaying also desired that I have a dedicated theme.  So like a student the night before finals, I wrote up a design theme and we have remained faithful to it throughout.  There are now 7 of us credited on the design team.  And for those who are wondering about the cost of inlaying - it can be very expensive!!  I limited my budget and have a great local luthier who is very reasonable.

I have selected a Dragon Theme.  The origin of the word Dragon comes from Greek δέρκομαι derkomai = "I see", and originally likely meant "that which sees", or "that which flashes or gleams" (perhaps referring to reflective scales).  In many cultures, the dragon also represents wisdom, strength and/or protector.  The dragon style of choice is the European version: winged, with no legs, otherwise known as a Wyvern.  Many European stories of dragons have them guarding a treasure hoard.  This dragon will be guarding the Zendrum and the musician who plays it – a true treasure indeed.  Many dragon folklores support the concept of a dragon bonding at birth with its rider – hence this Zendrum ‘Draken’ will be forever bonded with its owner/rider.

As I am of Swedish decent, the name of the build will be ‘Draken’.  ‘Draken’ is Swedish for dragon, and also stands for Wind.

I am really excited about the dragon head inlays that just arrived.  All told, the Draken will be natural clear coat; have 3 custom inlays, yet to be determined wire inlaying/special inlaying details, and a Custom decal.

As a dragon is free to fly, so too shall this Zendrum.  I currently have a Battery Merge Box and a MIDIJet Pro for wireless use.

Finishing off the Draken will be a special strap with a mounted 40 year old epoxy sealed scorpion (theme - my Draken's favorite food).

Sorry for picture quality - I'll get better ones as the build progresses.  
Hope you enjoy the Draken build progress.

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
Let the Inlaying begin!!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 09:05:56 AM »

Received the Draken body from David over the weekend.  What a drop dead beautiful piece of craftsmenship!!  I had it out on my desk all weekend trying to decide if I really wanted to have my luthier cut into such a wonderful piece of wood.  In the end I decided to still move ahead with the design theme.  Dropped the Zen body off with my luthier and in a few weeks it will be ready to go back to David for final clear coating and assembly!  Enjoy!!

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
Draken Strap is done....
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 09:23:29 AM »

Well my luthier is taking a bit longer than I expected.  Better slow and correct than a fast hack job.  I'm expecting the Draken body to be back to David for final assembly in about 2 weeks.

In the mean time, my strap has arrived.  I have mounted the epoxy sealed scorpion on the strap.  Aside from looking really cool and playing in on the Draken theme, the scorpion represents a tie to my father who passed away last July.  I was with him in 1968 when he picked out the belt buckle on a family vacation in Santa Fe.   My dad loved to play guitar and this way, when I play - a part of his existance will always be close to my heart.  [Pause for a teary moment....]  The strap locks are from Qparts.com and are the gold firewheel style.  I also like the 'D' embosed on the strap tab.  Doubles for 'Draken'.  I'm toying with the idea of cutting off the 'Dunlop' name tag.  Any thoughts?

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 09:32:01 AM »

That is very cool. I love the strap. It will look great with your Zendrum. Take off the Dunlop name. It distracts the eye from the scorpion.  Your dad would be proud of that instrument. Good Luck

Mark
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

jeff sanders

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 01:36:49 PM »

maybe a custom tag saying draken instead of dunlap would keep in theme. looks cool, you are putting alot into your zen. i expect you will get alot from it, too. your patience is admirable.
good luck

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 07:39:50 AM »

Hey Everybody,

Yes, the Draken is back here at Zendrum World HQ and ready to go into the spray room for clearcoats. I must say, Peabody's luthier did a very good job on the inlay work and it will truly be a classic piece when finished. Just to clarify- the only other Curly Maple/Zebrawood combination we've ever done like this was a gift of appreciation to Peter Gabriel in 1995.
btw Tom, if you remove the strap tag, you will have Dun Lopped it off! :)
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

jeff sanders

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 12:06:09 PM »

:D

nyuk nyuk nyuk  i think the 'curly' in the wood influenced your sense of humor :)

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 12:39:40 PM »

Moe Power to ya!
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 08:10:48 PM »

Moe Power to ya!

Less chatting - more building!!  I've got gigs lining up.  8)

And to all - I have removed the Dunlop label from the strap - looks a whole lot cleaner.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up