Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has this ever happened to anyone else?  (Read 1965 times)

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Has this ever happened to anyone else?
« on: February 18, 2009, 09:33:05 AM »

So I'm playing a pit gig right now.  Every so often, someone will come up to me and ask if I can do this kind of a sound or that kind of a sound.  I'll tell them yes or no depending, or my default, "I'll see what I can do".

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but it's getting kind of annoying when I get approached three or four times in an evening with that same "can you do it" question with different sounds.  And then, when I say I don't have that particular sample, I get "wow, all those sounds and you don't have [insert random effect here]?"  I guess it tells me that there's no pleasing some people. 

I've had a rough few weeks and perhaps it's left me oversensitive.  If this is the case, someone please call me on it.  But sometimes it seems like I'm getting this "dance, monkey, dance!" thing from the staff in terms of what sounds they want me to generate and the best thing I can think to do is just tell them "I'll see what I can do".  Anyone else ever get this?

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
Re: Has this ever happened to anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 11:13:55 AM »

Your answer should be:

If you buy me a sampler, sure.
Play nice.

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 11:46:47 AM »

::Laughs:: nice!!!  I have been looking for an excuse to check out that old A3000.....
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 06:58:03 PM »

So I'm playing a pit gig right now.  Every so often, someone will come up to me and ask if I can do this kind of a sound or that kind of a sound...............

................... Anyone else ever get this?

-Jaay

I always say yes and just walk away leaving them standing there.

It's one thing if it is the Musical Director, but in the case of a show, that should all be worked out ahead of time.

Remember that you are playing a real instrument.  Who cares if they don't understand that.  Keep your chin up!

John

John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 12:24:43 PM »

Avast Thar Matey:

IN cases where me superior officers and subordinate crew make an inquiry that is less than stellar, I just remain silent and give them a dumb look (which in my case is easy to do).  This approach works well in most situations.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 04:41:43 PM »

You might think of it as just ignorance on their part.  After all, you're playing this whacky thing and they have no idea of what it actually entails or is capable of, so they make silly requests.   
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut

jeff sanders

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 12:26:15 PM »

i think zenfem#9 said it best. no need get riled up cause people ask us about an interesting unique instrument worthy of attention. have a little patience with others and take it as a compliment if they wanna know about your zendrum and its capabilities. being less than courteous to those who may enjoy you is not a very good idea unless you dont mind them returning the disfavor.

p.s. shes my favorite zenner and not just because of her looks  ;)

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 05:44:37 AM »

Enjoy that fact that you are playing a unique instrument.......if you can add the sounds and be helpful you WILL get better referrals for other pit gigs/shows.

Good luck
Mick

jetskidrummer

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 11:36:32 PM »

I have another spin on this...I LIE and say, "you know? I DO have that cool sound you are asking about-unfortunatly, I have THAT particular sound on one of my back-up modules (or sampler) that I have left at home!...Very cool sound choice though, Dude!".....and they usually just walk away. You don't neccessarily need to say it in a cocky tone, but by the end of a gig, it sometimes makes ME feel better! ha,ha!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up