Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roland DT-HD1 Drum Tutor Software  (Read 3970 times)

HostileReality

Roland DT-HD1 Drum Tutor Software
« on: February 12, 2009, 10:07:04 AM »

Jay M

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
Re: Roland DT-HD1 Drum Tutor Software
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 02:49:32 PM »

Sounds like the answer is yes.

from the article:
While the software is designed to go hand in hand with Roland's entry-level HD-1 electronic drum kit, it will talk to any electronic drum kit with a MIDI output using the included USB-MIDI interface.

What I really like about that software is that it can also teach you how to site read. 

Can you imagine how fast a kid can learn to play well with stuff like this?  I was considering buying a TD-9 at least in part because of its built in training tool. 

I guess I'll need to be a kid again when I get my Zendrum next week.

~Jay

HostileReality

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 07:26:41 PM »

Im quite excited by this software because as as far as I can tell, it's the first of it's kind. There is software like this which teaches you how to play keyboard, and i remember using something similar to learn to touch type years ago. I've had my Zendrum for about 6 months now, but havn't practiced with it yet because it seems too overwhelming a task to figure out the best way, but I'm hoping that this software will change all that. By the way, I love my Zendrum and do use it in cubase, and keep saying to msyelf that i need to get good on it, but just couldnt figure out how to do that.

Another thing that sounds good about this software is that you can add your own midi files to it, So you could find a cool midi drum loop, and put it in the software and then you can see which notes you miss etc (atleast i think you can do this, not entierly sure).

jeff sanders

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 12:15:24 PM »

thanx for the share  :)

jeff sanders

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 01:02:59 PM »

Quote from: Ho

stileReality link=topic=2079.msg5486#msg5486 date=1234488401
I've had my Zendrum for about 6 months now, but havn't practiced with it yet because it seems too overwhelming a task to figure out the best way, but I'm hoping that this software will change all that. By the way, I love my Zendrum and do use it in cubase, and keep saying to msyelf that i need to get good on it, but just couldnt figure out how to do that.

the best way i can imagine how NOT to learn how to play any instrument, including a zendrum, is to NOT practice with it.  without a doubt the best way to play an instrument is the way YOU best play it. instead of bumping your head against difficult drum parts, play an easy, boom chick boom chick, beat. focusing on what you can play will reward you with confidence to explore further. i understand it is difficult to learn and frustrating when it doesnt come quickly. i feel very discouraged sometimes, too. so many here perform incredibly and make it look like a walk in the park. please dont give up on yourself. find your voice in baby steps. no insult intended.
peace and good luck man!

HostileReality

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 05:52:20 AM »

hi, thanks for the encouragement, i won't give up though because i use the zendrum like how i use my midi keyboard at the moment- i can't play either but they work well for getting ideas down in cubase. But i know this is kind of silly as the zendrum cost so much, and it has much more potential than what i currently use it for. I have dreams of playing it masterfully one day, and even using it to play virtual instruments. I totaly agree with what you have said that the worst way to practice is by not practicing in rather than trying to find the 'best way', just any way is way better than no way. i guess it's like 'do i learn to play acoustik drum kit?' 'do i learn to play djembe or congas?' or do i learn to just tap tap tap with my hands really well?... im thinking the last one. one trickiy thing, is how do you go about training yourself to play a different rythm on each hand?

Anyway, i'll let you know how well this software works when i get it. it should be out soon if it's not allready, and hopefully it will work with the zendrum.

HostileReality

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 07:52:57 AM »

I found a video demonstrating the software: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wgxbS6GVk

looks pretty good!

let me know if you've tried it and does it work? im just worried that i might get it and it won't work properly like stylus doesn't for example. Although most things do work with the zendrum, so it should do.

jeff sanders

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 01:30:53 PM »

I found a video demonstrating the software: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wgxbS6GVk

looks pretty good!

let me know if you've tried it and does it work? im just worried that i might get it and it won't work properly like stylus doesn't for example. Although most things do work with the zendrum, so it should do.

do you have your sustain settings at 0 or 1? sometimes changing the setting to not send the midi off note will allow software to work right.

good luck

HostileReality

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 09:10:34 AM »

anyone got this yet? does it work? i just don't want to spend £70 and have it not work.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 12:11:40 PM »

I read up on this a month or so ago, so a bit fuzzy... but I remember thinking that it was VERY limited in the number of "lessons" on it.  Seems like a great idea, but I'll be waiting for a more comprehensive set... or perhaps there will be plugins/expansions.

As far as learning to sightread: I know it's hard, and many of my students complain about it, but DO IT.  You will be so amazed at what you can accomplish so much faster as a reader.  For example, do you guys read Modern Drummer?  If you can at least hack through the lessons in there every month on your ZD, you will be SMOKIN' in no time- esp. Jazz Drummer's Workshop stuff, and the transcribed drum solos.

You'll also get the benefit of "seeing" rhythms in your head as you're listening to music... instead of trying to memorize everything by ear, you'll have another frame of reference.  And 3x5 notecards with a quick arrangement and 1-measure sample rhythms written for different sections can be a LIFESAVER.  I did a recording session once... I had 2 days to prepare 20+ songs.  I listened to them ONCE while scrawling some notes, got to the rehearsal, and I knew the songs better than some of the guys who were IN the band.  Invaluable time spent there!

Another hidden benefit to being a reader is being able to communicate with the rhythmic language.  You'll be in a rehearsal and someone will say "how does that rhythm go again?" and the readers in the room will have the tools to communicate this accurately and quickly, without having to take the time to play it 700 times until everyone just "feels" it.

Get ahold of a simple book/CD package and get to it!  It will be worth it, guaranteed.

Jer

HostileReality

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 07:56:44 AM »

well I finally got this. So far It's actually really good. Took me a while to figure out how to get it to work, but i got there in the end (zendrum had to be on channel 10). It's quite basic, but for a begginer like me its perfect! the lessons supplied are more than fine, and you can add your own midi files to it when you've mastered the preset ones (which will be a long time for me). So in theory you'l be able to practice any kind of beat. The limitations lie in the fact that it only has 8 sounds, a basic drum kit. So i'm not sure yet, but i guess your restricted to using midi files with 8 sounds- this is it's major downfall,  but as I said it's more of a begginners practice tool, and for me 8 sounds is enough at the moment- But it would be good if someone could make a more advanced program that does the same thing.

The package comes with a UM-G1 midi interface, but i don't need that, and the actual tutor program is only 12mb! so for the £70 i paid it's not that great if you don't need the interface. I'm still glad i bought it, as it is just how I imagined really. But seeing as i don't need the UM-G1, i'll sell that on and get some of my cash back.

Also, i don't know if theres a way to make the program think that you are opening/closing the hi-hat. As this is one of the things that it scores you on. Maybe i'll have to get the hi hat pedal upgrade for that.

PM me if you want it
Pages: [1]   Go Up