Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally did it: BFD2 and MacBook Pro!  (Read 1731 times)

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Finally did it: BFD2 and MacBook Pro!
« on: January 24, 2009, 01:41:44 AM »

OK Guys,

I finally made the BIG plunge and bought the following rig:

15" MacBook Pro (upgraded to 4GB RAM)
1TB e-SATA Hard Drive
MOTU Ultralite mkIII Audio/Midi Interface
BFD2
Gator rack with 4 spaces below a laptop compartment

I haven't racked any of it up yet, but I spent today installing and messing with BFD2.  Holy cow.  I was BLOWN AWAY by it... and that's saying something, since I was pretty darn happy with BFD1.5.  No comparison, seriously.  This thing is just TOO COOL for words.  Of course it's also nice that I can still use the samples from the many BFD Expansions I already have... nice touch.  I don't feel like my previous investment is obsolete, which is sometimes the case when you replace a hardware module.

Yeah, it was a ton of cash and yeah, there was a minor marital dispute... but my couch is pretty comfortable (kidding) and my rig is unbelievable (not kidding).  John E.,  if you are reading this, thanks so much for your help with picking out a MacBook, and please be prepared for a series of (stupid) questions as I climb the STEEP learning curve of a new system...AGAIN.

If anyone else is doing something similar, or is thinking about it, let's talk!

Jer
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 02:00:00 AM by zendrumdude »

Kelsin

Re: Finally did it: BFD2 and MacBook Pro!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 05:31:41 PM »

I have my Ultralite version 1 on ebay currently. MOTU seems great with Macs but unfortunately my Ultralite has never quite worked right on my Windows XP machines. I think I'm going to replace it tomorrow with a Presonus Firepod (after the auction ends tonight!).

With money from other auctions (just other unused rack audio gear) I'm hoping to also upgrade to BFD 2 from BFD 1.5. If my other item sells tonight I can probably buy that tomorrow as well! Once I get everything hooked up I was going to make a post about it as well :)

I'm using a Lenovo X61s laptop with a external firewire (400) Western Digital drive.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 05:36:37 PM by Kelsin »

TheSteve

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 06:13:05 PM »

I just won an auction on a Presonus Firestudio Project this week, can't wait to plug it in.  It comes with BFD Lite and I have a feeling I'm going to notice a HUGE difference in their sounds vs. my TD-10 and force myself to get the full version of BFD too. 

Thank god it's tax return time soon !!

Kelsin

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 07:42:02 PM »

Yeah, BFD is a pretty great program. Basically I got into when just doing some home recording cause it seemed to be what I wanted. It still let's me "mix" drums, but I just don't have to record them with mics!

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 10:48:23 PM »

I'm have a macbook pro with bfd1 and a motu ultralite.  I've had this setup for a while.  I still go to my td-20 for live gigs for ease of setup and stability.  Why do you like bfd2 so much more than the first version?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 10:49:12 PM by Zenfem#9 »
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut

Kelsin

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 10:50:05 AM »

I'm have a macbook pro with bfd1 and a motu ultralite.  I've had this setup for a while.  I still go to my td-20 for live gigs for ease of setup and stability.  Why do you like bfd2 so much more than the first version?

I do not have bfd2 yet (but will once some ebay auctions sell). The reasons I want it are:

1) Completely new drums sounds (and a lot of them). None overlap with BFD 1.5 so if you have 1.5 you have a pretty large collection already.
2) Mixing can be done completely in the plugin, with effects and a whole mixer interface. To me I don't have plugins that are going to be "better" in my sound program, so the ability to mix and save completely mixed drum sets is going to be a time-saver when recording, and going to allow me to use BFD standalone when playing live.
3) From the videos I've seen a much nicer interface

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 09:06:28 AM »

BFD2 has a SLEW of cool new features, but here are the highlights for me:

*You can choose 3 different sizes of drumsets, meaning the number of kitpieces that are available as a single kit (the largest one is over 30!!!)
*Each instrument has this super-cool little drop-down menu that has several different "characters" of the sound...dry, roomy, dampened, etc.  So you choose a snare drum, then you can choose if it's high and pingy like a piccolo, or fat and beefy, or room sound, etc.  Especially cool for bass drums too!
*OK, here's the big one for me: DSP effects, EQ, and compression FOR EACH INSTRUMENT.  Man, THAT is cool!

Plenty more to add, but that's the nutshell version, at least the stuff that I am impressed with.

And the interface is very cool too.

Jer
Pages: [1]   Go Up