Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's Your Daddy  (Read 3192 times)

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
Who's Your Daddy
« on: October 30, 2009, 04:27:49 AM »

Avast Thar Zendrumdude,

I happened upon a video of Nine and Zen last night, one that I haven't seen before.  Great job using the Zen as a set of vibes.  I particularly liked the end where a little girl yells "Yeay Daddy" from the audience.  Hard to tell who's the daddy, but since you ended up waving to the audience, I can only presume that she was referring to you.  I had to smile (a rare event these days). 

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

paradidl

Re: Who's Your Daddy
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 09:52:13 AM »

Linky?

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 03:44:53 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

The link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iVbL2PiXZM

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 07:28:11 PM »

Pyrate,

Wow, I know this is an old thread, but had to comment...

THANKS for the kind words!  And yes, that was my (then) 4-year old daughter... glad you noticed her little kudos!

Jer

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 10:10:36 PM »

Jer,

Nice music! Your playing adds a lot to the sound. Do you have a particular set up for your pads that you prefer? It looks a lot different then what I use (except for the bass drum and snare on the left hand). Any way to let me know? Thanks.

Also, your sound is very crisp and clean. What are you using, BFD? Doggone, I don't know enough about MIDI. I am using my TD-10 exp, but I sure like the sound you have. I just don't know enough about setting up a laptop with software, and hooking the zendrum in.

Maybe there should be a tutorial of sorts on here, to reveal how one has different options for MIDI controllers, how to use them, tweak them, etc??

Thinking out loud........ :-)
Rand
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 06:40:50 PM »

Rand,

Thanks for watching and for the kind words!  Yes, I have a very specific setup for pads that has varied very little since my first day of Zendrumming back in 1997.  Here's the basic setup (my latest ZX has a bunch of extra pads, so I won't list them... these are the regular-position pads).  Locations given from player's perspective as if you are wearing the ZX on a strap:

LEFT EDGE (top to bottom)
bass drum
snare drum
tom 1 (hi)
tom 2
tom 3

BOTTOM EDGE (player's left to right)
tom 4
crossfaded congas (mute, bass, tone, slap, with shaker layered on all hits)
tambourine
snare drum
toms 1-4

TOP ROW (L to R)
cross stick
china cym
crash cym
splash cym
bass drum

FRONT ROW (L to R)
bar chimes
closed HH
open HH
ride cym
ride bell
crash cym

My 6 extra pads contain:
cowbell (crossfaded tip to mouth)
HH 1/2 open
HH pedal
electronic clap
rim shot
HH closed (for left hand)

Also, in that set of videos I was using a Muse Receptor running BFD 1.5 through 2 Bose L1 pa's as a stereo pair.  That was my last gig with that setup... I now run BFD2 on a MacBook Pro.  If you saw my videos from the "Live at Music Villa" show, that was with the Mac setup, but no Bose... we used house sound.

Hope that helps!

Jer

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 07:31:25 PM »

Jer,
Thanks for that detail, much appreciated. I was trying to write and tell you my setup, but the forum is not working right for me. Somehow when I type, as soon as I fill the window and my words go below the bottom of the page, I get the entire paragraph "jumping" up as I type, so I can briefly see the letters I am typing, then the paragraph drops down below the bottom of the window once again. I can't really see what I am typing as the words go below the screen. Once that issue gets resolved I'll write more, but for now I am confined to whatever fits in the window I can see! I am going to play with my zendrum tonight and see how your setup goes when I plug it into one of my setups. Should be fun to try it out.
Rand
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!
Pages: [1]   Go Up