Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: where to start  (Read 1278 times)

HostileReality

where to start
« on: November 05, 2008, 09:03:10 PM »

Ive had  my zen for a few months now, and have used it a bit. but im finding it hard to know where to begin mastering it as i've never drummed before and cant play any other instruments. Should i get some drum lessons? i just need some basic steps to practice or a program to train me up.

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
Re: where to start
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 05:43:57 AM »

Avast Thar Matey,

As you sit at your desk listening to music or driving in your car and you find yourself tapping on the steering wheel, that be your basic starting point.  Set your Zendrum up to match what your fingers are doing.  After a short while you'll get more into it and tweak your setup so that it feels natural for you.  Everyone's setup is different.

Hope this helps.

Fair Winds and following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 12:46:18 PM »

I would think that drum lessons or a learn to drum video would be helpful.  Just learning some basic patterns for hi hat snare and bass drum will do a lot for you.  I first learned the set when a friend had her set and a video called "play drums now" at my house. I watched the video and thought "wow that's how they do that."  Some fundamental learning to grasp basic drumming will go a long way in helping you on your journey.
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut

total noobie

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 06:54:07 PM »

I bought my ZX with no real drumming experience either.  It has been a challenge, and sometimes I get frustrated.  However, you really have to keep messing around with the layouts and find what fits your style.  Anything goes.  Some of my "breakthroughs" have been just goofing around.  I typically mix in music from my Ipod and jam away. 

Here is a good online learning site where I picked up some good tips and learned some of the basics,  http://www.onlinedrummer.com/

You can search on the beginner lessons and get some good practice material.  My first real breakthrough was learning "Back in Black" by ACDC after I heard the instructor use that example as a typical, well known 4/4 beat.  It felt like a real acheivement for me when I was able to hit almost all of the right notes at the right time (including cymbals).  Learning that song helped me with my layout too.  I realized that I needed a crash near my snare and also one by my bass to play it effectively. 

I have a long way to go, but its just for me.  I don't plan on playing in a band anytime soon, and nobody hears my mistakes since I always play with headphones. 

Cheers

TN

HostileReality

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 10:56:52 AM »

Is there anything that recognises your midi and tells you if you got it wrong? like i just got a hold of this software to try and learn to play the keyboard called... "eMedia Piano and Keyboard Method".  It would be good if there was something like this for electronic  drums but i doubt it.

The reason i got this software to try and learn piano.. is because its like the software i used to teach me how to touch-type years ago- where the typing software recognised which keys you pressed and told you if they were wrong, the piano software does the same thing via midi. If there was something for a drum, it would force you to progress and master each thing before moving on to the next lesson, rather than having to do it all on your own.

But i may be asking too much here. It's just hard to have the disipline to make yourself get better..
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 11:05:43 AM by HostileReality »
Pages: [1]   Go Up