Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Full-time Zendrummers?  (Read 2947 times)

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Full-time Zendrummers?
« on: October 27, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

Greetings tribe.

So, I've made some adjustments to my Zendrum.  It's performing better than ever.  It's now getting to the point where I'm seeing fewer and fewer reasons to lug my acoustics around.  Which brings me to my question:

How many of you have forsaken your acoustics altogether?  With the convenience, function, and just plain cool factor of the Zendrum, have any of you looked at the tubs and said, "never mind"?

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Re: Full-time Zendrummers?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 01:43:51 pm »

Haven't touched mine in two years.  They are for sale.
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 02:21:48 pm »

My set is in the attic for maybe 5 years now.
Play nice.

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 03:27:58 pm »

Just Zendrum for about four years now. I even custom build my own drums. I have a partial set that I haven't finished in about five years now.

Cheers,
Steve

JustDave

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 01:48:50 pm »

Oddly enough, buying my Zen was a step towards going back to acoustics for me.
I was playing almost exclusively electronic kits. As I began to see what an awesome instrument the Zen was, I realized that I would be happier getting rid of the e-kits, working on my acoustic drums and using the Zen in place of e-kits for gigs that required them. I have never been happier - and more challenged.

Vinnie

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 06:12:16 am »

i dont think ill ever go full into Zendrumming, but i sold my acoustic kit a coupla months ago to buy the zendrum, and also moved totally into V drums, so now i have a TD3 kit, half a TD12 kit with the sound module and the zendrum....

I cant think of playing some Rush and Dream Theater on my Zendrum, just doesnt kinda fit well with the music IMO but will be using it almost 50% of the songs we play in the shows so i can get off that Damn throne !!!!

My first Zen Gig is hopefully on the 19th of Dec........cant wait ...... ;D ;D ;D

Tom Roady

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 09:57:43 am »

Hey guys and gals.....speaking directly to Zendrummers who came to it from DRUMSET.....I highly recommend NOT going away from playing acoustics..even though I did a CD in 1996 that I didn't play any acoustic instruments....and I played melodic instruments as well with it.....only Zendrum triggered samples.......I believe that the Zendrum is a TOOL.....granted a very cool tool.....but never forget the JOY that we all get from playing our kits and handrums.....it's the Primal thing in all of us....sure go out and amaze people with the abilities that we can bring to the table LIVE as well as in the studio with our Zendrums...but I have found in my 14 years of playing Zendrum that playing on acoustic drums only enhance my Zendrumming and vice versa...let both open your mind up to new directions and opportunities....don't forget the joy we have of hitting a real drum....I find it interesting that "our fearless leader, Inspector 109" still ROCKS on his kit as well as his Zendrum...Dave will never stop playing DRUMS and he and Kim invented this amazing instrument....that to me is the "proof in the pudding"...grow as players in all ways.....and that is my 2 cents!!!  " the mayor"

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 09:22:29 am »

Yeah, what he said! (pointing at the Mayor)
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 10:05:05 pm »

Sorry that I just found this topic.  I was busy playing my Gretsch kit! :)

The reason that I got into all of this is because it is an important skill set and tool to have, like Tom said.

All of the techniques that I have learned come in to play no matter what instrument I am playing.  It is important to continue development and learn as much as you can.

John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 05:20:24 am »

Yeah.  What he said! (pointing at the Wizard)
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

eDrummer53

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The road to Forgiveness
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 11:43:14 am »

If I'm just playing drums/percussion, I'll use my acoustic set primarily and add electronic grooves with the Zen.  However, if I'm singing and covering drums, I definitely use the Zen exclusively.  It is SO much easier to connect with my congregation by using the Zen.  Also, when I play out in the community as a singer/drummer I always use the Zen.  I can carry my whole setup (Fantom XR, Zen) in one trip !!

...Rod

tomtato

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 03:58:30 pm »

I bought one of the first Zendrums that David and Kim made after they began full time production because of carpal tunnel syndrome.  I quit playing my acoustics shortly after I got my 1st Zendrum (ol' Yeller).  The set that David Haney now plays that the Mayor refered to are my old Slingerland Radio Kings.  Take good care of the Inspector. We worked out a trade for my 2nd Zendrum (Blackie). It's been over ten years since I've played acoustics with my band, but still sit in or record occasionaly.

Tomtato

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 01:28:08 pm »

Hey Tribe,

I have two things to say-
a) It's all good.
b) I want to hear them, not haul them around.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 01:29:11 pm by Inspector 109 »
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 05:21:01 am »

Wise words from The Mayor and Inspector 109  8)

Mick

themose

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 09:36:12 pm »

I've have the Zendrum now for a number of months and it has fir seamlessly into my gear. I think I have it pretty much figured out.

TD6 - Mapex kit couple of synths (Korg & Alesis) and tons of percussion

It has not replaced any gear - it has replaced a number of tracks on two albums I am doing. Way better stuff.

Added an entire new sound approach. Sounds I had - but did not play the same way before. I could go back and probably redo a half dozen albums - but I am moving forward and writing more stuff. That was then this is now.

Interesting instrument to write on.

I would probably not do a jazz or big band gig with the ZD. I have done funk, and acoustic guitar gigs - terrific. C&W would work I have a Dholi gig comin - would work like a charm there.

Also I use a MacBookPro and Logic - through the stage PA or through a keyboard amp I have. The sidecar gear I have seen (KORE, BFD etc etc ) are OK but not really great for gigin pro music.

I am going to try the new Omnisphere next week. We are looking at using that as our bed tracks foir the tour coming up... we will see. I haven't had a chance to play an Spectrasonics gear with the ZD - will let y'all know.

mose

Pages: [1]   Go Up