Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: laptop config  (Read 1185 times)

mark

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
laptop config
« on: October 08, 2008, 11:11:46 AM »

Hey duojet, on an older post you mentioned you use a laptop computer with bfd2, which computer manufacturer do you use (dell,xpc) and how did you put in a second harddrive? I want to get a pc laptop to run bfd2 with full processing (eq,compression) and want to get one that can work without latency and freezing up and all the other bad stuff i have read in the past.

thanks
mark

duojet

Re: laptop config
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 12:01:16 PM »

sorry, i don't think it was me with the laptop, user kbour had a thread regarding laptops but it was battery 3 not BFD2. I am personally skeptical about BFD2 on a laptop as it is resource hungry. you would need at least a 7200 rpm and possibly a dedicated drive for the samples for reliable operation, which I am not sure you can do.

jeff sanders

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 08:32:04 PM »

the bfd2 forums have much info about various users setups. you can see which are more successful than others and emulate those. it seems those using the program as a sound module are having less success as those using it in a sequencing and recording program application. they turn down the quality to put parts down then after editing they turn the quality back up to avoid slowing the processing with higher sample rates and increased layering.  im pretty sure thats what theyre saying but if you have the time, best read it yourself cause i dont wanna give you bad advice if i misunderstood what i read there.

good luck

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 08:34:47 PM »

BFD2 works perfectly fine on a laptop, as long as you configure the machine correctly.  The great thing about BFD2 is that the engine can be configured in multiple ways.  Depending on your machine, you can adjust most of the settings in BFD2 to optimise performance based on your computer and playing style.  I do not have any problems with this setup in a live situation.

This last year I have been using a MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM.  No problems!  In Fact, we use laptops at tradeshows and run them constantly for eight hour stretches.  You could also get the same results on a PC platform.  Yes, you need a second drive for the samples.  I just got a 320GB Portagig drive from Glyph.  It is 7200 rpm and just a little bigger than a pack of cigarettes.  A Laptop, interface, and a small drive is not that much to carry around.  I have my entire rig in a two space SKB Studio Flyer luggage style rack that fits in the overhead bin on a plane.

The bottom line is not to try and cut corners with the laptop, or any other machine for that matter.  Buy the fastest, bestest, most complete computer that you can.  In the long run, short cuts will cost you more money than if you buy correctly the first time.  My MacBook Pro is two years old, working great, and I expect to be able to get a couple of more years out of it! 

I recommend asking questions about configuration advice at www.FXpansion.com/forum.

Hope this helps,
John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer
Pages: [1]   Go Up