Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Roland expansion pack  (Read 3021 times)

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
New Roland expansion pack
« on: September 17, 2008, 10:15:18 AM »

I just saw that Roland has a new expansion pack for the TD 20 module with 300 new sounds. If anybody has it, or is going to get it, please give the tribe a review of it. It costs $495.00 at Guitar Center.

Thanks,

Mark
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

total noobie

Re: New Roland expansion pack
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 01:01:33 PM »

I hope it has the sounds of a hang drum.  That's the only way I would pay $500.  The description of the new sounds was really vague on the roland website. 

TN

timecutter

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 06:59:31 PM »

Sonic Couture sells a nice set of hang drum samples set up as an instrument for Kontakt.  I've had a great time with it.   It costs about $100.

http://www.soniccouture.com/pages/hang.php

M

total noobie

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 12:33:02 PM »

I guess that I should have bought a laptop instead of a td20.  :(

timecutter

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 09:30:07 PM »

There have been times when I wished I had a TD-20 or something like it. 

M

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 04:01:26 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

I have a laptop and TD-20 both.  I also have a bunch of rack mounted equipment.  For portability and ease of setup I can't beat the TD-20.  While the sounds may not be able to match those of a muse receptor or BFD 2, those times when I have had to travel with equipment, I am in from the car in one trip, I am not straining the old salts body by carrying heavy equipment racks, and the sounds are generally good enough for the untrained ears of my audience.  They are ususally more interested in the instrument that I am playing to be overly concerned with the sounds.  And the TD-20 does have some decent sounds to it.  Not great, but decent enough.  Just me 2 cents worth.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 10:29:06 AM »

I agree with Pyrate.  I too have a laptop and a td-20.  The td-20 wins hands down for ease of setup and portability.  I'm taking it to a gig tonight. With the vexpressions kits, the sounds are actually pretty good.  I've not had a complaint.  I'll be interested to see what the new expansion pack holds.

edit...I just watched the videos on Roland's website, it seems that they really are working on the module emulating an acoustic kit down to the fine details, as far as dynamics and expressiveness. It doesn't seem like they are really about adding new kits, although they are there. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 10:47:47 AM by Zenfem#9 »
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 09:50:49 AM »

Dear Zenfem,

You can go to the Roland web site and download the manual for the new expansion pack. There are 300 more sounds with diffrent drum kits, and they add a bunch of songs to the sequencer. A few added wrinkles with the mic positions and added some new venue type options. The only down side that I see is that the kits changed numerical order. Instead of kit #7 being in the 7 position, it has moved to #507. This could require some minor adjustments for the people who are used to it the way it was. I do not have it yet, but, as far as I can tell, it is in my future. The good news is that when I get it, the wife will NEVER KNOW ABOUT IT!!!!!! YES !!!!

P.S. I love my wife.

Mark
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

rsanto

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 09:57:06 AM »

I also use a TD-20 with my ZX.  Again, nothing  but compliments on the sound and always "What is that thing?"
With the V-Expressions Masterpicks, a little tweaking here and there and some BBE, I have no interest in the expansion card, since I only use this rig for live performances.  You can't beat the portability and it's a blast when you're wireless!
Pages: [1]   Go Up