Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Mac Slim Notebook and BFD  (Read 1666 times)

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
New Mac Slim Notebook and BFD
« on: September 17, 2008, 03:56:09 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Perhaps one of you fine tribe members may be able to answer the Old Pyrates quest for information.  I have recently been looking at the new ultra thin Mac laptops that have a solid state hard drive vs one with moving parts.  They come with 2 Gigs of RAM and the diskless drive is rated at 64 GBytes.  I was wondering if this is enough to run BFD 2.0 with John Emrich's Jazz and Funk Expansion Pack.  I like the idea of having no moving parts for durability sake.  and the lightweight and cmpact size of the laptop is appealing as well. I'm just not certain that 64 gBytes hard drive space is sufficient for BFD 2 and the Jazz and Funk Expansion.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
Re: New Mac Slim Notebook and BFD
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 04:52:17 PM »

Jazz & Funk is 55GB.  I'm not sure if that particular computer is going to work, or not.  Pyrate, I suggest asking that question at on the forum at FXpansion.com.

Good Luck!
John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 09:54:20 PM »

I would say don't do it.  The hard drive is ridiculously small and you can't change the battery yourself, among other things.  It also only has one usb port and no firewire.  You can get a macbook, that can have up to 4 gb of ram(you'll want it) a hard drive that you can upgrade yourself for cheap, firewire connectivity (which you want for your external drive to run bfd on a dedicated 7200rpm drive.)  And it has the same footprint as the air, its just not as thin.  I had a macbook and now have a macbook pro.  I love them both.
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 03:50:09 PM »

Running an i book as well. I haven't had any issues for about two years now (so far so good). For whatever reason apple chose not to put firewire ports on the MAC air (a huge mistake).
I would stick with the mac book or mac book pro. Just treat it like any other electronic device and it will work good for you.
Cheers,
Steve

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 10:53:23 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Thanks for all of the feedback.  It helps greatly and I be most appreciative.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.
Pages: [1]   Go Up