Zendrum Stuff > User Reviews

Portable MIDI sequencers

(1/1)

Jaay:
Greetings Tribe.

So, I may be in a position to do some travelling soon.  I don't want to say too much about it, but if I do, I'll need a way to do some music-type stuff on the road.

Here's what I want to do:

-I want to be able to recieve a MIDI file from Bob The Singer-Dude and download it.  Then I want to be able to dump that MIDI file to a portable device (Roland PMA-5, Yam. QY100, etc) and "respond" to it with melody lines or drum parts or whatever.  Then I want to upload that edited MIDI file back to my computer and send it back to Bob.

I can already add drum parts to tracks if someone just sends me audio.  It's a little bootleg, but it works.  However, I think that in some cases MIDI is a "cleaner" vehicle.

I don't like the idea of using a laptop.  I don't have one, the software I would need I'm told is expensive, and the interfaces are usually less than intuitive.  However, based on the research I've done, it seems that I couldn't use a PMA or QY in the way I would like unless the person on the other end has the same device.  Is this the case?

So, can I use the devices I cited in the way I want to, or is my only option the laptop/software route?  Thank you kindly in advance.

-Jaay

Geosphere:
Realize that due to the nature of MIDI if he has different software/hardware, he's hearing different sounds.

jeff sanders:

--- Quote from: Jaay on September 15, 2008, 09:20:13 am ---Greetings Tribe.

So, I may be in a position to do some travelling soon.  I don't want to say too much about it, but if I do, I'll need a way to do some music-type stuff on the road.

Here's what I want to do:

-I want to be able to recieve a MIDI file from Bob The Singer-Dude and download it.  Then I want to be able to dump that MIDI file to a portable device (Roland PMA-5, Yam. QY100, etc) and "respond" to it with melody lines or drum parts or whatever.  Then I want to upload that edited MIDI file back to my computer and send it back to Bob.

I can already add drum parts to tracks if someone just sends me audio.  It's a little bootleg, but it works.  However, I think that in some cases MIDI is a "cleaner" vehicle.

I don't like the idea of using a laptop.  I don't have one, the software I would need I'm told is expensive, and the interfaces are usually less than intuitive.  However, based on the research I've done, it seems that I couldn't use a PMA or QY in the way I would like unless the person on the other end has the same device.  Is this the case?

So, can I use the devices I cited in the way I want to, or is my only option the laptop/software route?  Thank you kindly in advance.

-Jaay

--- End quote ---

i used an old qy-10 for a long time, it has such an easy interface. if you stick to general midi you can pull the tracks into different apps/modules and the bass drum and snare drum will still correspond to their notes but the qy-10s snare may not sound exactly as a different companies snare even though it plays at the same timing and velocity. should suffice for sharing ideas remotely. i think thats whats youre asking?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version