Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: melodic zendrumming  (Read 3919 times)

peebo

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
melodic zendrumming
« on: August 25, 2008, 01:06:21 PM »

I was initially going to grab E-z drummer for my zendrum, but I really want to play other instruments as well (guitar, marimbas, piano, etc.)

any suggestions?

By the way, I'm new to the forums here, my Zendrum will be done in a week or so... it shall be beautiful, a sunburst honey flame maple...

-peebo
Stop waking up and start dreaming.

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
Re: melodic zendrumming
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 01:53:34 PM »

Welcome!

I've messed around with marimba and steel drums and some plucked bass.

I've never come up with a solid way to be truly chromatic.  If I know a song needs certain notes, those are the ones I assign.  Unfortunately, this means a slight variation for each song you try it on.

Some players use midi pedals to change the key of the transmitted note, but I've never explored that.
Play nice.

timecutter

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 11:08:13 PM »

Greetings, welcome

For pitched percussion type stuff, you might want to consider Kontakt.  I have used it for Kalimba, Kora, dulcimer/santoor type sounds on Zendrum.  I also have a set of Hang Drum samples (a Kontakt "instrument" or sample set) that I'm very fond of.  Kontakt may be overkill for what you're looking for, but its a really great software tool.  Kontakt comes with a big library with lots of great stuff - including guitars, pianos, organs, synth stuff, and some tasty percusssion kits.   I am also very fond of Battery 3 - which is also from Native Instruments - Battery 3 is a percussion oriented sampler that works well with Zendrum.   Battery is great for customized percussion "kits" - but I'm not sure how much pitched percussion there is in its large library.

you will have fun with your zendrum

Mark

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 04:59:58 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

One possible solution is hardware.  I use a Korg Triton Rackmount synth that has hundreds of sounds in many combinations (plus you can create your own combinations).  It is very versatile and the sounds are good too.  Hope this helps.

Fair winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

jeff sanders

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 05:55:15 PM »

my buddy has a roland drum brain and he can do this thing called tap advance with patches. its like say the notes for twinkle little star are loaded you just tap the same pad to the tempo and each note comes out one after the other. some call it cheating but i think its kinda cool. just substitute the twinkle little star with your melody of choice. the zendrum has preloaded 'keys' where only the correct notes of a key are there. that will allow you freedom to improvise outside of the tap advance method. i think a hybrid of tap advance and improvise would really be cool. just my 2 cents
have fun

peebo

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 02:14:13 PM »

ah, well thanks to all.  I think I'll check out a rack system.  Tom Roady of Nashvegas informed of a Roland something or other, I wish I could remember the exact model number.  It was somewhere along the lines of JV-80.  Plus, if anybody knows about Zendrum stands, or simply does a Zendrum fit on a guitar stand?
Stop waking up and start dreaming.

bambamvdrummer

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 11:34:12 PM »

I've only had my Zendrum for a few months now, but I'm really having a great time with it. Since it walked in the door Ive been using it for all studio sessions, and it continues to amaze everyone that comes by. I have a rather large arsenal of sound modules to play around with.  My Studio is primarily Roland, and my web site shows only what hasn't been updated in the past 2 years or so. I've added a few things since then. I am also leaning towards using melodics throughout my show. I haven't really dove into the melodics yet, but from just plugging into all my different modules, the possibilities are endless. I just have to choreograph them sequentially. (sort-of) Word is starting to get out that I have one of these and friends are bugging me to know when I might debut it live, and where. I've already had a lot of experience on BOTH Handsonic units, (the 10 and the 15) It will be an amazing site when I walk out from behind my stage kit wearing this and still playing the same riffs I just layed down on the stage kit. (acoustic) Hopefully I will have someone on hand to video tape the event. Are there Zendrum T-shirts? I feel like we should have our own special "Zendrum" handshake. Just a thought..........?

Bambam

http://www.ravenmist.com/bambamstudios/

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 07:17:20 AM »

Are there Zendrum T-shirts?

There were.

No one bought them...
Play nice.

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 07:43:44 PM »

bambamvdrummer

Re: T-shirts...
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 11:46:57 PM »

I'd buy at least 5,   especially if they were different designs or colors...

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 03:43:48 AM »

Plus, if anybody knows about Zendrum stands, or simply does a Zendrum fit on a guitar stand?

Avast Thar Matey,

Zendrum used to make a stand, but according to our esteemed and highly talented Inspector 109, they discontinued doing so.  I have one and it works Mahvelously.  However, some fellow tribesmen have gotten very creative with their use of guitar stands.  Perhaps our equally esteemed webmaster, Geosphere, could take some of the previous posts on this topic and put it on the resource page, if he hasn't already done so.  Just a suggestion.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 01:28:36 PM »

sigh.

There's still a CafePress site if anyone is interested.

http://shop.cafepress.com/zendrum

But it was never what I would call exhaustive.

If there's enough clamor, maybe we can put up some slick new designs or something.
Play nice.

Tom Roady

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 01:33:13 PM »

I told Peebo that he could probably pick up a used Roland JV-1080 or 2080 fairly cheap....lots of melodic as well as world and drums used to be available on different add on cards....EMU Proteus World, Planet Earth and Carnival have lots of melodic instruments also. I used a s**t load of them on my CD Zendrum: One Tribe...Garageband has tons of melodic instruments as well...my current go to along with EZDrummers.

SWriverstone

• Tribal Pledge
  • Aerial Drummer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 12:29:32 PM »

Hi All...

I'm a pretty good keyboard percussion player (marimba, vibes, etc.)...but I still find playing melodic instruments on the Zendrum to be pretty difficult, simply because the pad arrangement doesn't even remotely lend itself to a recognizeable (e.g. piano keyboard) layout.

But...I'm sure with a lot of practice and repetition (and NEVER altering your basic note layout) you could get pretty good at it (I'm still working on it!)

Another useful tip is to work with pentatonic scales (e.g. the black notes on a piano). By setting the pads to only notes in a pentatonic scale (across 2-3 octaves) you can still do a lot, and (contrary to popular myth) it's entirely possibly to play some beautiful melodic phrases on pentatonic scales without it sounding "Chinese" (to use another worn-out stereotype).

The nice thing about playing pentatonic scales is that there really aren't any "wrong" notes!  ;D

Scott
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 12:30:25 PM by SWriverstone »

Vinnie

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 06:17:56 AM »

hmmm the Tee looks good but the logo is wayyyy too small, id love to have a few too if it was big and right in the middle of the Tee maybe on the front and the rear too....Id like people to see me on stage with it.... ;D ;D ;D ;D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up