Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best way to practice?  (Read 1669 times)

HostileReality

best way to practice?
« on: August 20, 2008, 08:44:53 AM »

Ive never drummed before, and now that i have my zendrum i want to get the most out of it. Mostly i'll use it for hand style drums like using stormdrum, but also normal kits and electronic. what's the best way to go about teaching myself to play rythms on it?

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
Re: best way to practice?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 09:49:59 AM »

Play a song you know well on a CD.  Without pluggin the Zendrum in, tap around on it.  Soon, your hands will naturally fall into patterns.

This is YOUR feel on the drum.  Your unique style.

Now, turn on a sound module, play your style and map the sounds to match where your hands hit.  If you find your right thumb tends to hit on a downbeat, turn it into a base drum.  If your left and right hands are alternating beats, assign pads as left and right hi hat sounds.  If your right middle finger keeps tempo, then make that your ride.  Always slam a certain pad as an accent?  Crash cymbal.  Or gong, or whatever sound is appropriate.

Match the instrument to the way your body wants to move.  Then teach yourself the instrument.
Play nice.

HostileReality

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 04:24:47 PM »

thanks for the suggestion, ive already come up with a bit of a layout, ill give that a go though and see if it's more natural. is there any good method for improving timing, and being able to play different rythms with each hand. things like that, as theres so many different types of drums from african drums to proper kits, i think it will be best to just master rythme and timing etc.  (sorry for my bad spelling of rythem lol). like i could either learn to play a normal drum kit, and adapt to zendrum, or i could learn how to play a conga, and adapt etc. or i could just mostly concentrate on getting good at tapping out a rythem with any sounds, mastering playing with both hands, and then learn more on individual drums later.  ???

HostileReality

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 06:00:31 AM »

Anyone know a good method to learn to play different rythems on each hand?

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 07:25:39 AM »

What you're looking for is independence, but also realize that each finger can trigger different pads.

Back when I was a wee lad with a practice pad, my teacher, who also happened to be my father, would get two drum books and put them side by side.  I was to copy line 1 from each to a new sheet (to help learn writing music), but have one book with upward flags, the other down, as if a snare and bass line.  Then I would have to have one hand play one line, the other hand the other line, and then switch.

What really got complex is when one line was 16th based, the other triplet, or when they were in different time sigs.

The concept soon becomes similar to a keyboard player running a walking bass line.  One hand must simply go, and work as a complete entity by itself, regardless of what the other hand does.

In this sample, one hand is playing the kit, the other is all of the percussion besides. http://www.zendrum.com/mp3/ZendrumIndependent1.mp3

Its all just practice.

Play nice.

HostileReality

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 06:43:24 AM »

wow, id love to be that at playing! im just gunna have to practice an hour a day i guess, playing along to music

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 08:52:50 PM »

Like any instrument, the more you put in, the more you can make it do for you.
Play nice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up