Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Battery 3 with Zendrum in live gig situation  (Read 2254 times)

stratman

Using Battery 3 with Zendrum in live gig situation
« on: August 14, 2008, 05:38:26 PM »

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to switch kits in Battery 3 when playing live by using the Zendrum's Program Change function or can you only change kits on the computer screen.

timecutter

Re: Using Battery 3 with Zendrum in live gig situation
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 07:33:46 PM »

I don't believe Battery 3 has any way to change kits with a MIDI program change command.   Two solutions I've used:  Loading up multiple Battery 3 instances in Ableton Live, then muting all but the one(s) I don't want to hear.  Since the muting/unmuting can be done very easily in lots of ways, without using the mouse, and Live seems reasonably smart about managing CPU resources, this can work ok.  I've done something similar using the Muse Receptor:  Loading several instances of Battery 3 on different channels, and switching between them.    The Receptor can also change setups in Response to a MIDI program change command, but that is not instantaneous.

M

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 10:12:29 PM by timecutter »

SWriverstone

• Tribal Pledge
  • Aerial Drummer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 12:34:15 PM »

Timecutter's idea is a good one---another possible workaround is to set up a single Battery 3 patch with 2 or 3 kits. I forget what the max number of cells you can have in a kit, but it's a lot more than there are Zendrum pads, so you can easily set up two different kits---make Kit#1 cover the top 2-3 rows...then Kit#2 the bottom 2-3 rows. Then you can quickly mute/unmute entire rows at once.

Granted, this would still take a couple mouse clicks, but it will preserve valuable CPU cycles and you could probably get pretty fast at muting/unmuting.

Scott

timecutter

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »

SWriverstone - you remind me of another approach that I forgot to mention:  keyswitching.  Battery 3 kits can contain lots of cells - up to 128, I believe, so one kit could comprise several Zendrum setups.   And each cell can be set to sound only if a keyswitch has been pressed before the assigned note is played.   I actually got the Battery 3 "Multistick" kits working on Zendrum using keyswitching - this allowed me to switch between sticks and mallets by pressing a pad on the Zendrum. 

It would be  straightforward to create one large Battery 3 kit that would contain all the cells you need for three Zendrum setups - and set each cell to respond to a keyswitch.  The keyswitch signals could be sent from the Zendrum (or from a keyboard, foot pedal, or control surface) to Battery - then voila, no mouse needed to switch between sound palettes.
 I haven't used this approach, but its clearly possible. 

peace

Mark

hypno|sapien

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 02:29:13 PM »

Another way to do it is to create a battery kit with 128 cells (the max). Set each cell to be triggered by a unique midi note (0-127). Then, set up various note mapping on the zen. Start with setup 1, pick your sounds. Move to setup 2, pick some more sounds. That way, the battery kit only loads one time, and you change "kits" on the zendrum itself.

If you need more than 128 sounds, you could run something like audiofile engineering's rax or ableton live. Run two battery kits with 128 unique note mappings each, and set each one to receive midi on a different channel. Then, as long as all sounds in a given "kit" are receiving midi on the same channel, you're good to go.

On my ZAP, I have setups 1-8 sending midi on channel 1. Setup 1 uses notes 0-15, setup 2 uses notes 15-31, etc. They all trigger a battery kit in live receiving midi on channel 1. Setups 9-16 on the ZAP send midi out on channel 2, with notes 0-15 used on setup 9, etc. My second battery kit receives midi on channel 2. I effectively get 16 different kits (one kit per row for each 128-cell battery kit) with 16 sounds each. All I have to do to switch between them is change setups on the ZAP. Couldn't be easier.

And yes, I have the same sound mapped to multiple pads on the ZAP in some instances. I'll usually put the kick on two pads, the snare on two pad, etc. In battery, I'll set the articulation (under the "setup" tab for that cell) for the snare cell to be "alternate stroke." Plus I'll give each cell a tiny amount of velocity and pitch humanization. Makes for very real-sounding drums!

:)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 02:30:58 PM by hypno|sapien »

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 03:44:40 PM »

I usually just change kits on the laptop. I have enough time between songs to do that. I will put all my kits in one folder so they always show up in one browser window.

Steve

kbour

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 07:26:31 PM »

I guess I'm relatively unsophisticated...  When a tune calls for some latin sounds, e.g. "Uncle John's Band," I just mosey over to my laptop and turn the ride cymbal off, cabasa on; rim off, guiro on; and so forth (I keep bongos/congas live on all kits).  Takes me all of 5-10 seconds and the band is never to count out the next tune that fast!   So far, that seems to be working pretty well.   If I think I want to use multiple kits on a gig, I just load them both ahead of time, the 2nd one being the one I want to start with...  When it's time to switch, I open the other kit, which seems to load much faster the 2nd time around...cached?   I would guesstimate, on my laptop, that a full Battery3 kit loads from scratch in about 10-15 seconds.  Once it has been opened, the time is cut roughly in half.   Plenty of time for most situations...  My laptop is a Dell XPS M1210 dual  core Pentium processor.  Fast, yes, but not even the latest and greatest. 

KenB

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 05:52:02 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Arrrggghhhh!!!  The beauty of using a TD-20 ior a rack mounted synth (like me Korg Triton Rack) is that changing sounds only requires turning a knob.  Of course for those of you land lubbers that prefer software, you might consider a footboard arrangement to shift gears.  Just me two cents worth.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.
Pages: [1]   Go Up