Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Amps  (Read 2367 times)

JustDave

Small Amps
« on: August 08, 2008, 09:55:22 AM »

I've had my Zen since last October and it has really been a great addition. The potential just keeps getting bigger.

I am looking for small amp suggestions. The kind you can take to somone's living room and play along with acoustic guitars and keys. Of course I want the most out of the highs and lows :)  you know -  having the cake and eating too...

Any help would be appreciated!

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
Re: Small Amps
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 02:53:27 PM »

You get what you pay for.  Barbetta (www.barbetta.com) makes great amps.  They are small and sound better than anything else, IMO.

I use the Sumo SE 41.  It has a small mixer in the back that you could use for extra inputs.  This is a full range amp and sounds great from soft to loud.

John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 08:20:04 PM »

I have a Crate TX-15 that I've used for some time with fairly good results (I'm trying to get rid of it, actually...)

Obviously with smaller amps you can't necessarily use the big boomy sounds that some modules feature.  To get around this, when dealing with smaller amps I use higher, tighter sounds--in that bebop tuning range.
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 09:43:34 PM »

I had a roland kc-150 that I sold to get a barbetta.  I wish I had held onto it. I loved that little amp, and still miss it.   It is lightweight and portable, has nice highs and lows, and if you're looking to sit in with some acoustic instruments, it has more than you'll need.  The 12" speaker doesn't have the big thump of a 15", but it does well, and with acoustic it will serve you well. 
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut

timecutter

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 09:39:52 AM »

Hello,

I use a Roland KC 350 and have been VERY pleased with it for small size gigging with acoustic or lightly amped instruments.    It has a little more power (120 W) than the KC150 that Zenfem mentions; it is also a single 12" with a tweeter.  Weighs about 50 pounds.  It is a mixing amp with four channels, which I've found useful from time to time.   At more than moderate volume, this little fellow can get overwhelmed.  I've seriously thought about buying another one and using the "stereo-link" feature these amps have, but haven't tried that either.

I've been drooling over the Barbetta amps for some time now but haven't been able to justify the purchase cost to myself yet, since most of my play with others is at low-moderate coffeehouse volume levels and the Roland has really been working quite well.

Good luck

Mark

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »

I use a JBL EON G2 powered apeaker.  I have jammed with 2 other musicians and vocals, all thru the JBL.
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

jeff sanders

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 05:09:16 PM »

hit the music store with biggest selection of amps. guitar center is biggest near my home. try them out side by side its a no brainer when you a/b test audio gear. set everything flat to compare so you all the models have an equal chance to impress you. something i do cause im "thrifty" as my grandma used to say(sounds better than low budget, heh) is choose the brand and model from the music store then go online and buy gear. most places give free shipping for over $100.00 purchases even for up to medium sized amps plus you save taxes which may be the ticket to affording the  next more expensive model of whatever. try to remember the recommendations from all the sharing tribespeople here and plug into them all if possible. i dont know your venues but keep in mind buying an amp a lil larger than you need is much better than finding out you needed more power post purchase.
good luck and have fun choosing.

JustDave

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 10:17:33 AM »

Thanks for the help!

The barettas do look sweet, but you are right - you pay for 'em. 
I have a JBL EON - huge thing. Great sound, but portablility is a problem.
I will check out all the amps suggested. 
Also - anyone know if the Behringers are any good? They seem to get good reviews. I may have to check them out at GC.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-ULTRATONE-K3000FX-300W-PA-System-and-Keyboard-Amp-103643219-i1173576.gc

timecutter

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 03:27:57 PM »

Behringer is not a name I associate with quality - I've known a few people modestly satisfied with one or another piece of Behringer gear (like MIDI controllers or foot pedals) but I've never heard good things about their amps - and never seen them used in public.   Once I jammed with a guy who played a flute with an echoplex through a Behringer combo amp with a 12" speaker - it did not sound particularly good.   Behringer is famous for rapidly producing imitations of other people's gear that even looks exactly like what they're copying (e.g., Mackie or Roland or whatever). 

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 11:52:33 AM »

Yeah, I have to agree with the Behringer does not equal Quality line.
Play nice.

JustDave

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 02:13:48 PM »

THANKS! You guys saved me from making a mistalke.

Pages: [1]   Go Up