Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advanced Program Function Question  (Read 2138 times)

s_sibs

Advanced Program Function Question
« on: July 04, 2008, 10:00:55 pm »

Hi folks.

I'm looking into getting a ZAP controller for use with Toontrack S2. I've been a betatester for them for a while and have been testing S2 with a Korg PadKontrol. The Korg works ok but is starting to feel like a toy...

Anyway, my question is about the Advanced Program Function. I've read the manual and am still a bit fuzzy on how it would work. Here's what I'm looking for the ZAP to be able to do and if someone could tell me if it's possible, I would appreciate it.

I want to be able to set up 4 different levels of open hi-hat articulations on 1 key of the ZAP (S2 offers 5 open articulations but I read that the ZAP can layer 4). So, if I play the 'open hi-hat' key lightly I'll get the 'Open 1' articulation all the way up to hard (127) and get the 'really open' hi-hat articulation. Possible?

Then, is it also possible to set up another key with this 'layered articulations on 1 key' setup. On snare, for example, could I set up 1 key for 'edge' articulation at 1 velocity range 0-110 and then velocity range 111-127 be a rimshot hit?

So, I guess my questions are:

Can you manually set the velocity ranges of the layering on the key on the ZAP?

Can you set up this 'layering of articulations on 1 key' for more than 1 key on the ZAP?

Thanks.

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: Advanced Program Function Question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 10:21:14 am »

Hey Scott, welcome!

Okay, so the answer to your question about manually setting the crossfade points is no.
It is something we've talked about adding as a chip upgrade later
They are preset as they appear in the manual right now. You can place this feature on any/every trigger, though.
The idea behind it was for soft, medium, loud, HOT sounds to be assigned to four sequential note numbers.
I've got BFD 1, and in conjunction with the hi-hat hits page parameters, was able to get a very nice smooth hi hat articulation from closed to sloshy open with some experimentation. I found that for running 16th patterns, it was best (for me) to have two dedicated closed triggers, the one crossfaded closed to open trigger, and an open trigger.
I don't use pedals because I'm standing up playing a ZX, but there's also the option of using a piano-type sustain pedal to toggle between open and closed as well. This can be further adjusted to taste by setting the polarity feature on the Zendrum for both the 1/4" input as well as the momentary sustain button on the face below the cursor switch.
Hope this helps!
BTW, how's that S model software working for you?
What are you running it on?
David

David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

s_sibs

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 03:52:53 pm »

Thanks David.

That answers my questions.

About the Hi-hat. I plan on having 3 triggers for the hi-hat. 1 closed - crossfaded tip and closed (the Avatar S2 library's Closed hi-hat articulation is a bit too heavy for me but if I could set up 1 trigger that has the Tip art. crossfaded with the Closed art. then that would be sweet.

Then a second trigger with the open arts. And a third that is closed foot. Now that you've mentioned having 2 triggers for 16th I might add a 4th trigger as well.

As for the Toontrack S2 software. Very impressed. Even more impressed that they took some of my little ideas and included them in the software!

I'm running it on a slightly long in the tooth computer. Single processor P4 3Ghz with 2gigs RAM in Cubase SX3. I can run full kits with ambient channels and bleeds with no problems. I use a rather modest kit (kick, snare, hh, 3 toms, ride, 3 crashes). With all bleeds and amb channels I come in about 1.3-1.4 Gigs of RAM. It's very well optimized and sounds fabulous. Even on the PadKontrol it sound awesome. I'm very excited to use the ZAP with these sounds. I don't think I'd be happier with the ZAP and S2 combo.

Thanks.

s_sibs

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 05:27:32 pm »

Another quick question if you have a moment.

How sensitive are the triggers?

I know you'll say, "Very sensitive!" But, are they sensitive enough for fast playing on toms or should I expect to set up 2 triggers for each tom (kinda like using 2 hands/sticks on a real drumkit)?

I'm asking because I can't get good response from my Korg PadKontrol on tom fills with 1 key trigger per drum. They are responsive as far as velocity but don't seem to take repeated triggers well.

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 06:29:16 pm »

Yes they are "Very sensitive".   ;D  In addition to amazing dynamics, you will have no problems with speed.

Here is a newer video from a UK clinic tour that I did in April.  The audio is a little compressed, but you can still see how the Zendrum reacts to speed.

http://fxpansion.com/fxvideoplayer/videoplayer.php?id=1049

Hope this helps,
John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

duojet

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 06:29:35 pm »

Another quick question if you have a moment.

How sensitive are the triggers?

I know you'll say, "Very sensitive!" But, are they sensitive enough for fast playing on toms or should I expect to set up 2 triggers for each tom (kinda like using 2 hands/sticks on a real drumkit)?

I'm asking because I can't get good response from my Korg PadKontrol on tom fills with 1 key trigger per drum. They are responsive as far as velocity but don't seem to take repeated triggers well.

i know exactly what your asking about the toms. you can do triplets, fast fills, etc, with ease. as accurately and fast as you can tap them they respond.  i am referring to the response of the triggers not the ease of actually playing. i have a laptop ZD and i'm not sure I could do certain things with zap due to the layout.

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 07:39:18 pm »

Hey Scott,
Here's another couple of videos from the first guy who got a ZAP in January.
Maybe you can figure out how he laid it out-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhl2Hss_LKY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DloWGPS5jX0

David
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 07:44:40 pm by Inspector 109 »
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

s_sibs

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 09:03:48 pm »

Thanks for the reply guys.

From your video it does seem "Very sensitive!"  ;D

I think I'm sold...Now I just need to save up some scratch...
Pages: [1]   Go Up