Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: random note cutoff  (Read 2681 times)

jeff sanders

random note cutoff
« on: June 11, 2008, 02:37:25 PM »

hi tribers,
today i began experimenting with playing the zendrum in garageband. i set a track as grand piano and changed my sustain polarity to ring out. i went up and down the presets to audition the different factory trigger setups 1-13, the various melodic scales. everything works fine however i noticed occasionally my midi note #36 and #38 triggers would ring for a little less than a second and then mute like i was holding down a piano key and releasing it before the string had completely stopped vibrating. ive been attempting to recreate the anomaly consistently but no luck. i did notice that sometimes when i hit my left side #36 pad the little midi light(the period dot at the bottom left of the 3 led windows) lights up and when it goes out the number changes to #67 and the right side #36 does the same but changes to #38. it will do it only on harder strikes(i play my LT upside down so the left and right are reversed). the numbers changing isnt the cause because it mutes sometimes when the numbers dont change and sometimes when they do. the only thing consistent is the duration of the note when ringing(acting the same as all the other non affected triggers) and the amount of time the note rings before the mutes jumps in(on only the affected #36's & #38). i questioned the polyphony but it can occur by a single tap or by triggering many notes at once. most times when i tap it and it cuts off, i tap it again it rings fine. hardy ever but seldom it will cut off twice in a row. very confusing.

i never noticed any cutoff while playing drum kits on the non-ring out polarity settings. this is the first time i tried the melodic patches with non-drum kit instruments. not so much a problem as a curiosity, since i am melodically challenged drummer anyhoo.  :)

could be garageband too. its the only software instruments i have to try.
i hope my post is understandable. thanks for any insight

jeff sanders

Re: random note cutoff
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 03:15:21 PM »

just noticed my right side #36 also changes to #43 and #67 when struck hard sometimes too.

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 11:37:31 AM »

Avast Thar Matey,

It sounds like you might have your Zendrum setup to cross-fade mode (I believe it is setup number 14).  If that is the case, just change the setup to another number.  You may also have your midi note map setup to a number above 127, which would trigger the same event.  Of course I am not sitting in front of my Zendrum manual at the moment, so I could be lost at sea for all I know.  The best way to check this information is to open the Zendrum manual.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

jeff sanders

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 03:47:11 PM »

hey pyrate,

good to 'sea' you again :)  thanks for your help.  i did experiment with the cross-fade a bit but my heavy handed playing style doesnt afford me the finesse to consistently address each specific layer.  no telling what im gonna bang out of it.  im on 15 which is the custom trigger layout i made myself. i got my rC sensitivity setting on 4 which the manual says takes the most to max. i like the zendrum manual its the easiest to understand outta all my gear.  i think maybe the surface vibrating may be sending bounce back messages to my LT.  i dont notice it on the drum patches so thats ok.

take care capt.

'waves'  :)

duojet

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 09:26:27 PM »

check in garage band if there is AHD or AHDSR setting (attack, hold, decay, sustain, release). increase the decay time. i have had this problem in battery and this solves it.

jeff sanders

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 04:13:20 PM »

ill search my gb menus for that

thank you kindly duojet

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 06:26:29 PM »

Hello Jeff!

You are talking about two unrelated topics here: note duration and retriggering from the Zendrum.

You mentioned a "heavy-handed" style; my guess is that you are getting some false triggering on your harder hits.  Some pads will be more susceptible to this than others, due to their very slightly variable sensitivity, placement in relation to other pads, how rigidly they are attached, how tightly the cap is on, Voodoo curses, and other strange phenomena.  If this continues, don't play so hard (from experience, I will tell you that the quieter you play normally, the more dynamic range you have access to), and raise the noise floor setting (FL) in your Zendrum...maybe in the 6-8 range to start with.

Now, as I am sure you know, the Zendrum, sus polarity notwithstanding, has no control over note duration...it sends a Note On message followed immediately by a Note Off.  For your "random" mutes, my guess is that something is up in Garage Band...NOT your Zendrum...the Zendrum just doesn't have any ability to create what you describe.  Unless, somehow you might be inadvertently tapping the sustain button (because, since you have the polarity set backwards, the sus switch would be like a MUTE switch).  Make sense?

Good luck!

Jer

jeff sanders

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 01:11:29 PM »

hey jer,
ya my hand banging style is less than subtle. the heels of my hands have much more mass than single fingers.  maybe the sustain switches are getting a vibe and activating. ill try raising the floor as you suggest. ill do a lil dance, too. that should embarrass the voodoo curses enuff into not having any association with me.  :)

on a side note, when i play with friends its always rock and its always, 'turn up the drums', im kinda corralled in the use of dynamics compared to when i do solo stuff with garageband. of course i like jammin with friends, especially on account of my (lack of)song writing ability. i always end up banging out for volumes sake cause when they turn me up it always seems to follow that they again turn up(themselves) and were in the same boat[arr insert pyrate joke here] just louder.  the obvious answer is find new friends lol j/k

thanks for sharing suggestions everybody

youre all attributes to the tribe

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 03:08:15 AM »

were in the same boat[arr insert pyrate joke here]

Avast Thar and Shiver Me Timbers,

A Pyrate walks into a bar.....................Arrrgghhhh!!!!!

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

jeff sanders

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 01:56:04 PM »

buy that pyrate a drink! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up