Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless  (Read 6612 times)

dennis_coleman

Wireless
« on: May 13, 2006, 10:40:09 AM »

I'm thinking of going wireless with the midi-jet pro. Everything that I read encourages me to go ahead. Any cautions or warnings? Also, the product lit indicates that it is all inclusive. Do I need the battery merge box? Is there anything else that I need to purchase?

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
Re: Wireless
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 10:52:40 AM »

You need either the battery merge box or the internal 9V mod done by Zendrum.

Warning: always change your batteries before a show.  Use used ones to practice, but ALWAYS get new ones for a show.  And know your range.  And avoid wandering among drunks.
Play nice.

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 12:15:46 PM »

Is that the Kenton product or is there another one?  I remember there was one on the Yahoo group that was discussed some weeks ago.
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Docdrums

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 04:04:09 PM »

Dennis:

I have the Midijet Pro and it has worked well for me. You absolutely need the battery box from Chris dehaas. Unless you do the mod as Goe indicated but that requires sending in your instrument.  It was good I spoke with the Inspector before I went out and played because the midijet people told me I didn't need anything else but the midijet pro to go live. This was "not the case" . I emailed them and told them to not tell any more Zendrummers this misleading information. You need the battery box, but then you are good to go.  One thing you need to keep in mind is you are going to go through a lot of batteries.  It is good to make sure you have extras but change often if you are gigging regularly.  I had mine go dead on me mid song. I thought I had pulled something loose, but with a battery replacement I was back up and playing.  Lucky for me I also play e drums as well at gigs so I just sat down to finish the set. The thing is, it did not crackle or anything it went booming tom fills to nothing in an instant.  New batteries and I was back up and mobile for the next set. And although it's not like you have to remove a bunch of screws, it does take a bit of time (3-5 minutes) to change batteries.

Doc

firemusician

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 07:33:07 PM »

Doc, sorry to hear about your problems. My experience with patchman music was a good one.  Anyway...  The MIDI Jet PRO ROCKS!!!  I was able to walk about the rom I played in.   I was about 75 - 100 ft from the stage, listening to the room, and it worked very well.  Make sure you get the  battery box, or send the ZEN ou for the mod.  I am using the battery box with good results.  Take care and stay safe, Mark
Mark Nelson:  Fire fighter, Sound engineer, Musician and all around nice guy.

1st generation Zendrum, Asus 2.5 GHz  laptop with BFD2, Alesis DM-Pro.

dennis_coleman

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 06:22:20 AM »

Thanks to all for the wireless advice. I ordered the midi-jet pro and the battery gizmo from Chris.
I am now thinking that there should be a running scoreboard, where we tabulate how often people walk up to you at a gig and ask "What is that thing!?"

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 12:19:25 PM »

I used a Midi Jet (old version with great success.  i understand the Pro is even better and i personally can't wait to get one.  But you do need the battery merge box or the 9V mod.
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 09:10:03 AM »

About how long does a set of batteries last?
Steve

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 09:24:23 AM »

About how long does a set of batteries last?
Steve

Generally up until the middle of the moment when everyone is watching you.

Less than 4 hours is my guess, but I might be really off.
Play nice.

firemusician

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 01:03:14 PM »

Not that people don't already, but make sure you upt as fresh set of batteries at the begining of each show. And also something I have done, I still have the wired set-up in place should a problem develop with the wireless rig. Just my $ .02  Take care and stay safe, Mark
Mark Nelson:  Fire fighter, Sound engineer, Musician and all around nice guy.

1st generation Zendrum, Asus 2.5 GHz  laptop with BFD2, Alesis DM-Pro.

Docdrums

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 05:10:27 PM »

Mark:

As you may have noticed from my earlier post I learned the battery thing  hard way. :-[ It was just my second time out and things worked flawless the first time, so I never even though about changing the battery because it was still working.  But as you indicated I don't take chances anymore fresh batteries each performance. Its kinda like putting gas in the vehicle to get to the gig, while you would really rather not incur that expense, it is all part of the process of bringing good music to your audiences. 

I too carry my wired set up as well.  That's all a part of the extra parts and pieces approach which includes midi cords, power cords, mic cords etc. But the battery change is now part of the set up routine - 2AA and 9volt and we are good to Go!

Doc

dennis_coleman

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 08:16:38 AM »

So how are you wireless guys wearing the additional boxes. I have received the midi-jet pro and there is no clip on the transmitter. I hope that the battery merge box is clipped. Are you sticking them on the strap, or one in your pocket, or what?

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 08:40:43 AM »

That seems kind of goofy to have something wireless without a clip, doesn't it?

I have the Kenton, and mine has a clip.  The battery box does as well.  I put them both on my strap.

I'm not sure where you would go about purchasing such a thing, but I really think you need a velcro backed clip or some such.  Leaving it in a pocket just seems ripe for pulling a cord out.
Play nice.

tattix

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 09:44:31 AM »

My solution for the clipless box was to take both the Midijet and the Battery box and put them in a small drawstring pouch and then hang it from the drawstring off the Zendrum's strap. Not ideal, but it works and they won't fall off.

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 07:24:42 PM »

I replaced my original zendrum strap with a new strap that has built in elastic  loops.  The loops are just tight enough to provide a snug fit for the battery box and the Midi Jet.  As the loops are on the outside of the strap, it does not make the strrap uncomfotable.  I use a 3 foot midi cable from the battery box to the zendrum and a 1 foot midi cable between the Midi Jet and the battery box.  It is convenient  and unobtrusive (the boxes end up on tmy back rather than in front of me.  They don't move so there is no additional strain on the cables or boxes or zendrum.    I bought th esttrap at my local Guitar Center.
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up