Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laptop Advice Needed  (Read 2376 times)

abbalover99

Laptop Advice Needed
« on: April 23, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »

Hi,
I'm planning to purchase a laptop to run either Battery 3 or EZ Drummer. Does it matter if I get a MacBook or a Windows laptop running Vista? Is 2 GB of RAM enough? Any recommendations for MIDI interface and sound card? Also, I know EZ Drummer requires a host application, but I'm still not clear if Battery can run standalone or if it needs a host application, too.

My current TD-12 module has no latency issues with my Zap; if I get the right hardware, can I expect the same response from either Battery or EZ Drummer? Finally, does anyone feel strongly enough about either of the two to recommend one over the other? I've checked out all the demo kits on both websites and they both sound great. I would give Battery the edge there, but not by that much. EZ Drummer seems easier to configure, but it comes with a lot of pre-configured great sounding kits.

I know that's a lot of questions, but any advice/info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Rick

jeff sanders

Re: Laptop Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 12:01:03 PM »

max ram is good.

my .02 cents

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 02:46:37 PM »

MAC i book. 2GB ram
MOTU ultralite audio/MIDI fire wire interface.
I've been running Battery 3 and digital performer on this setup for about 2 years now including live gigs. I have not yet had one single crash or any latency issues.
My hard drive is almost completely full of drum sounds.
I pretty much use this computer just for drums and recording. Not much else is installed but OSX.

Cheers,
Steve

abbalover99

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 04:36:15 PM »

Steve,
Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going the MacBook route. Do I need an audio interface or can I just use the Mac's audio out jack? At this point I'm only looking to play, not record. Also, now I'm torn between Battery 3 and EZ Drummer. I'm leaning towards EZ Drummer, but I can't tell if it will work with OS X 10.5. Is anyone using EZ Drummer with the latest version of OS X (10.5)?

Rick

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 05:55:09 PM »

Hi Rick,
You will need an audio interface of some kind. The audio out jack just doesn't sound good. Plus you will need a MIDI interface too. The MOTU ultra lite is both an audio interface and a MIDI interface. It will also be used for recording (in the future for you). It's also fire wire so it's quite a bit faster than USB. You can find cheaper interfaces but you will have no trouble with this one. It's all in one so you won't need a seperate MIDI interface. Make sure you get both an audio and MIDI interface.

Software is your choice. They are all pretty good. I just personally like Battery 3.

Cheers,
Steve

abbalover99

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 02:03:12 PM »

I've got a MacBook (2.1GHz, 2GB Ram), an UltraLite, and Battery 3 on order. Thanks a lot for your help.

Rick

timecutter

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 07:19:40 PM »

You will be happy.  The Mac and the MOTU (and the Zendrum) are great gear.  Battery 3 is great too.

M

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 09:40:21 PM »

That's a great setup. You won't be dissapointed.
Cheers,
Steve

abbalover99

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 09:52:37 AM »

Actually, I changed my order to EZ Drummer. That was my first choice 1.) because the interface seems more beginner-friendly, and 2.) because Futureman is using it. But I didn't think it could work with Garageband 4. Right after I placed my Battery order, Toontracks support finally got back to me, and it looks like EZ Drummer will work with it. So I called and changed the order. Though considering I had a hard time deciding between the two, I wouldn't be surprised if order Battery later on, too.

timecutter

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 11:48:21 AM »

I don't know EZ Drummer, but if I recall, Tom "The Mayor" Roady of Nashville is using EZD with Garageband and his Zendrum and loving it. 

M

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 02:34:15 PM »

I've got a macbook pro and an ultralite.  It's fabulous.  You should be able to upgrade ram in that macbook to 3 gigs.  Don't buy ram from apple, they will gouge you.  go to other world computing, they have great deals, and its also a good place to go for an external drive or to upgrade your harddrive (its really easy to do in a macbook) yourself.
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: [1]   Go Up