Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: taxes  (Read 1885 times)

HostileReality

taxes
« on: April 16, 2008, 05:15:53 PM »

I want to buy a zendrum but i've just realised a slight problem.... I live in the UK, and i think they charge 17% VAT + theres an import tax aswell which is something around 12% before the VAT is added... oh deer. this means i cant afford the drum as it will probably end up costing around £900 including the shipping fee and taxes  :'(. Anyone got any ideas of a way round this 'problem' ?

Effraktor

Re: taxes
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 10:51:35 AM »

I realised the same fact when I decided I wanted a zendrum, so I contacted the very helpful people that make them to see if they had an experience. They put me through to some people in the UK who have bought zendrums in the past and the result was that there isn't really a way around VAT, unless you're in some way dissabled. And if you really want to get around the potential duties/tarrifs you can try to get a specific product code from the HMR labling it as a unique product that can't be bought in the UK, meaning theres no market in the UK or even EU to protect by enforcing the tarrifs. owever i'd expect that process to be very beurocratic, long and potentialy costly anyway, when the duties, mentioned by someone I was put in contact with, are only around 3-4%

Also, I have a friend who works in a music store, he builds custom guitars for people and I was quite shocked to hear that the minimum for a standard custom was around £1300, expensive woods crank that up even more. So comparatively, even after tax you're gonna be getting a custom insturment for less than a guitarist could.

jeff sanders

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 11:50:44 AM »

please pardon but i am legally disabled, may i assist in some way? i live in the u.s. and you know how much we hate paying taxes, just ask the brits! [zendrum roll]  seriously im not sure of what benefit it may be to have to be disabled but if i can make good of it to help another im good to go. you can pm me if you think i may help. 
good luck getting a zen

Vinnie

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 09:45:36 AM »

Well mate, Im from India and taxes for me are a whooping 35% for musiucal instruments, well what im planning to do is get someone to carry it over for me or get it down myself when i travel to the US in sept...

and when i get thru customs, i tell them its used or some lame excuse like that.....they usually dont bother musicians that much unless you import in bulk....

Cant you work a way around it???

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 05:48:45 AM »

Import duty and VAT will add between 23-25% to the Shipped price

No way round it I'm afraid unless you are pickin git up from Zendrum HQ yourself and take it as carry on luggage. Even then you are still at the mercy of Customs and Excise at your  UK Airport.

Cheers
Mick
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 05:50:04 AM by MustangMick »

HostileReality

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 02:27:58 PM »

yeah, well thanks all for your suggestions. i may just pay the tax after all... it seems to be not quite as bad as i'd thought, and actually the import tax is only 3%, and then 17.5% VAT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up