Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how can i trigger 2 different types of sounds at once (bass and drums)?  (Read 2500 times)

marktec1

hi all

love the new forum site - looks cool..

im new to this and currently i have a zendrum connected to an alesis d4..  a muse receptor with john e's plugins is somewhere down the road for me, but in the interim, is there an easy/inexpensive way to set some of the z's pads to trigger bass guitar tones, while using the rest for drum kit sounds??

or do i have to wait for the muse to accomplish this?  (im assuming the muse will do it - is that a valid assumption?)

thanks to all in advance.

bob casale
riverside, ri

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room

There's different ways to do this

1) Create a kit where some tones are bass, some are drums.  I don't have a D4, so I'm not aware if your current module has the editing capability.

2) Use multiple modules, where note X triggers a drum in module A, and silence in the other, while note B triggers silence for the drums and a vass note in the other ( of course they really don't have to be exclusive).
Play nice.

dennis_coleman

As I read all of the techno stuff, I just wonder if there are others, like me, that keep everything as basic as possible. I just enjoy making the zendrum sound like drums. Of course, I do enjoy doing the things that are unique to this drum and I greatly appreciate the fact that I no longer have to look at the butts of the rest of the band.

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich

If you can afford an Alesis D5 or DMpro, you could stack sounds, like Geosphere suggested.  The programing is just like the D4.  You can also stack different sounds.  The cool thing about using another Alesis is that you can tune the sound that you chose.  It is also cheap!

And yes, the MUSE will do all of this... and a lot more.  But, it can be complicated.

Hope this helps,
John
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 08:36:16 PM by john emrich »
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

marktec1

thanks for the responses..  john e, do both the d5 and the dmpro have the bass guitar capability, if so, which is better.. thanks again..

bob casale

ps  im really looking forward to that next big sale to pay for the muse, etc....

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich

The D5 and DMpro do have some bass sounds.  Keep in mind that the DMpro (now discontinued, but still out there in ebay) also has limited sampling.  It is not the greatest, but with Sound Bridge from Alesis, you could add some sounds of your own.

Hope this helps,
John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

drumhead99

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The Others

, is there an easy/inexpensive way to set some of the z's pads to trigger bass guitar tones, while using the rest for drum kit sounds??

Just to keep this going with how to do this on other modules---  you can do this on Rolands.   Although you can't layer sounds,  you can trigger "patterns",  and they could be bass notes/whatever sounds or sounds you wants.  and you can have a "drum" sound on that same pad too,  so it is almost like layering.   If you didn't want a drum sound on that pad,  you would just lower the internal mixer for that pad  (the drum sound assigned to that pad),  and only the "pattern" would sound....   
Pages: [1]   Go Up