Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a way to control "Gate Time" between note ON/note OFF?  (Read 2110 times)

SWriverstone

• Tribal Pledge
  • Aerial Drummer
    • View Profile

I've been having problems recording the Zendrum (using Battery 3 as a sound source) in Sonar Producer 7. It took me some sleuthing, but I think I discovered what the problem is: when recording into Sonar, the Zendrum is producing some MIDI notes with a duration of "0", and these notes don't sound on playback in Sonar.

It seems that the Zendrum sends a MIDI note-ON and note-OFF command almost simultaneously when a trigger pad is simply struck (as opposed to held down).

Is there any way to adjust this "gate time" between MIDI note-ON and note-OFF? I hope so...if not, perhaps this could be added to the operating system?

By comparison, Alternate Mode's TrapKat and other controllers actually do have a [b]"Gate Time" parameter [/b] you can adjust that specifically sets the time between Note-ON and note-OFF. They provide increments in tenths (or hundredths) of a second up to "INFINITE" where only note-ONs are sent (if I'm remembering correctly).

Thanks,
Scott

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: Is there a way to control "Gate Time" between note ON/note OFF?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 06:42:43 PM »

See if this works for your application-

Re: ZDLT and RMX
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 10:20:56 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MIDIOX will work for this. The Zendrum seems to send a note on, and then immediately another note on with zero velocity. this caused problems for me with EMU proteusX VST in Cakewalk Sonar. What I did was use MIDIOX to delay the second note on by approx 10 ms. Setting polarity worked for all other softsynths except proteus.

the great news is MIDIOX is free.

Have your midi input sent into midox instead of your sequencer. Set up the filter as I described. Send to a midi out, and then send that midi out into one of your inputs. THAT input should go into your sequencer. You can alternatively use midi yoke (a virtual midi patch cable) to do it if you dont want to use up hardware midi ports. I know this sounds a bit complicated but its really not. Let me know if you need any help but i'm 99% sure it will work.

http://www.midiox.com/

http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http://www.midiox.com/myoke.htm
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

SWriverstone

• Tribal Pledge
  • Aerial Drummer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 10:34:34 AM »

Thanks David! I'll give those a try...I have MIDIOX already...

Any chance that this could be addressed in a future software update? I would think especially with the Zap, this could be an ongoing issue as so many people would want to do MIDI sequencing with it. (Or maybe it's only a problem with Sonar?)

Scott

hypno|sapien

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 12:39:12 PM »

Not sure of a solution for use with producer, but for others encountering this issue, another solution is to route your midi through a track in Ableton Live and put a note length midi effect in that track. Then you can specify any time you want between note on and off from 10.0 ms up to 60 seconds with gate to 1% to 200%.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 07:03:06 AM by hypno|sapien »

duojet

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 09:32:47 PM »

with battery its simple. select all cells. go to the cell tab and then engage the AHD (attack, hold, decay). you can also use AHSDR but AHD is simpler and all you need.  increase the decay time until you can fully hear the decay of each drum (you'll be changing this parameter for all cells). don't increase it too much or you'll hear the noise. then make sure to deselect all cells.  keep attack and hold at zero. Let me know if you have any problems. I am 100% sure this works because I use battery with my ZD LT in Sonar 6.2.1. i am not sure if you need to do this for all battery 3 kits. sometimes just changing the polarity setting on the ZD works.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:39:35 PM by duojet »

SWriverstone

• Tribal Pledge
  • Aerial Drummer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 08:38:21 AM »

Thanks for the Battery tip duojet---I've been out of town for a week and just got back, so I'll try your suggestion later today and post up about how it goes!

Scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up