Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auxillary Controllers  (Read 1716 times)

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Auxillary Controllers
« on: March 14, 2008, 07:33:20 AM »

Hey Everybody!

In response to requests we get for adding various features to the Zendrum I recommend that you mad scientists out there think about all the things you can do with some of these goodies-
Check it out-  http://www.midi-store.com/Midi-Solutions-mid-2-p-1.html
I use the 2-1 MIDI combiner for my Zendrum and controller keyboard to play the same sound source.
Pleasantly surprised that I could play melodic notes from my Zendrum and bend those notes with the pitch wheel of the keyboard. This implies that you could add any number of customizable continuous controllers, pitch benders, foot pedals, D-Beams, ribbons, etc., to the MIDI path easily and design your own system specific to your needs and wishes.

Put your thinking caps ON...
David

David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

timecutter

Re: Auxillary Controllers
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 10:49:17 PM »

Thinking cap on, but the power is intermittent....I've been thinking about getting a 2 -> 1 merge box.

What keyboard are you using, Inspector?  I'm in search of the perfect keyboard or auxillary controller to use with the Zendrum. 

I got myself a Novation Remote SL 25, which has a great feeling keyboard, lots of programmable pots & sliders, and can merge MIDI - so you can plug the Zendrum into the MIDI in, plug the MIDI out into Receptor, and bingo.  But the Remote has a fatal flaw:  you can't program the buttons to send a patch change and a bank change MSB/LSB at the same time.  You can send a bank change, or a program change, but not both at once.  This is a deal breaker for me.  My M-Audio gear does this no problem (I have a Keystation Pro 88 - which I'm very fond of - and a UC33 control surface).  The Keystation weighs 50 pounds and is more keyboard than I want to haul around.   The UC33 will only merge MIDI to USB out, not to the MIDI out plug.   The Novation has some great features - but alas, it won't do something I really want it to do. 

I'm looking at the Akai MPK49 keyboard as perhaps the ideal companion for the Zendrum:  13 pounds, 49 keys (with ability to switch to a latch mode), sufficient numbers of sliders & pots & buttons, and it will do the the bank-change/program change thing.   Looks really good:  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Akai-MPK49-Keyboard-USB-MIDI-Controller?sku=703034
Here's a walk-thru on it from Musikmesse 2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crz2nc9ATtM   

Be curious to hear what other auxillary controllers Zendrummers are using

peace

Mark

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 08:51:01 AM »

Or even a synth like the Alesis Micron. I checked that out and it has some good sounds and loops. Doesn't have all the buttons and knobs if you're looking for a controller but the Zendrum has plenty of buttons.

This does open up a whole new set of possibilities. Very interesting.

Cheers,
Steve

scvkiltie

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 03:12:38 PM »

Hello, I went the web site and did a search for 2-1 midi controller and came up empty... I'm waiting for my Zendrum to be delivered, so I picked up a xiosynth 25 keyboard, and would be very interested in following in your lead for control, any further info would be greatly appreciated, Rob

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 03:45:13 PM »

Try 2-1 MIDI merger or combiner, not controller
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation
Pages: [1]   Go Up