Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running MIDI down XLR cables  (Read 4073 times)

Atardecer

Running MIDI down XLR cables
« on: November 18, 2009, 12:02:02 AM »

Hi all,

Eagerly awaiting a new zendrum. Finally took the plunge!

Just thought i might share a little tip regarding MIDI cables that I've used on tours where we were running samplers offstage being triggered by keyboards. If you are on large stages, MIDI cable length can be a real problem given the restrictions of the MIDI. One way to get around this is to wire up a couple of MIDI to XLR adapter cables. Its actually possible to run MIDI signals down regular mic cables after connecting the appropriate pins. If you wire up one short adapter cable (say a couple of meters) you can run this into your stagebox. From there connect the appropriate channel from your monitor stagebox (if you have one) to your sampler MIDI In with a second XLR to MIDI cable. Allternatively you can connect it to a a mic cable onstage and run that offstage to your sampler. The advantage of this is that you can run quite long lengths for your MIDI runs and are not restricted by MIDI cable lengths. If you dont need access to your module/laptop its also a nice way to clear room on the stage. This probably doesnt apply to small stages where your runs should be fine but can be handy on larger stages.

If you want I'll post the specifics specs for this - just cant remeber right now!

Cheers,
James

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
Re: Running MIDI down XLR cables
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 06:10:19 AM »

With the option of an integrated wireless MIDI systems in Zendrums now, the distance shouldn't pose a problem.
Play nice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up