Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: And your Zendrum set-up consists of...  (Read 19051 times)

tattix

Re: And your Zendrum set-up consists of...
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 10:04:24 AM »

MacBookPro with Reason beta and BFD beta (or G5 with Reason and BFD, at home)
Edirol UA4FX
DMPro
Roland KC350

My emphasis was to keep it as small and portable as possible. I'd prefer a stereo amp solution but I haven't found one i like yet. At home I play through my stereo, it sounds great. The roland is acceptable for the small places I end up playing in (mostly friends living rooms) and I'm generally not playing against a full volume rock band.

Fusionary

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2006, 09:31:02 AM »

New ZX (can't get over how coooll! this thing is).
Alesis DM5
Behringer 120 PA

Looking to upgrade my PB 286/Roland Souncanvas SCC-1/Cakewalk 4.0 for DOS setup. I know, it's older than dinosaur crap - I got this with a MIDI keyboard in 1990 to try my hand at composing music.  Still works fine for sequencing but my songs are locked, since the PC doesn't have a 3.5 floppy!  I have a laptop and looking to equip it to replace that setup.

Luis

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2006, 12:35:00 AM »

My rig is in a state of flux, but here goes:

Zendrum 1 (Flame maple/Purpleheart/Flame maple "Sandwich")
MidiJet Pro wireless
Roland TD-20

Zendrum 2 (Flame maple...purple burst)
Zendrum stand
Korg Triton Rack

Both modules into:
Behringer rack mixer
Digitech JamMan Looper

QSC PLX3002 Amp
Pair of AccuGroove Tri-210 cabinets
Pair of Mackie 15" Powered subs

In the near future, I plan to ditch the TD-20 and the Triton in favor of a Muse Receptor.  Both ZDs will run into an ancient Peavey MidiMaster midi patch bay (unless someone knows of a midi merge that actually works with 2 Zendrums...the 2 I have bought have not!!!)  The JamMan will be replaced with a Boss RC50.

Jer

funky_d

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 04:14:07 PM »

And this rig travels with me in the overhead bin of an airplane!!

Hey again John,
First off, thanks for all the advice you gave me a few weeks ago. You really cut through some of the crap that I have been trying to figure out.   
My question is, how many spaces is your rack that can fit in the overhead compartment. I'm buying a 10 space SKB Rack off of Geosphere, hoping it would also fit in that tight space... Let me know.
Thanks,
FunKyD

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 08:20:53 PM »

I'm buying a 10 space SKB Rack off of Geosphere, hoping it would also fit in that tight space... Let me know.
Thanks,
FunKyD

I'm literally sitting next to it.  There is no way this thing is fitting anywhere near an overhead.

Not only that, but when loaded with, say, an amphead, a mixer and 2 or 3 modules, it weighs so much you will be paying for extra baggage.

I'm not kidding.
Play nice.

firemusician

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 08:26:17 PM »

If you need a reference a single rack space is 1 3/4 ".  I don't know if planes offer measurements on the "above the seat" areas or not.  if you can't store it over head, think about shock mounted racks, etc.  Take care and stay safe, Mark
Mark Nelson:  Fire fighter, Sound engineer, Musician and all around nice guy.

1st generation Zendrum, Asus 2.5 GHz  laptop with BFD2, Alesis DM-Pro.

guitarlover

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 02:59:10 AM »

That is really amazing sharing how many type of drum set.

Slavedave

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 08:24:15 AM »

The software only option.

Zendrum LT Purple Sunburst  running into a ....

Tascam US1641 USB 2.0 interface controlling....

Dell XPS Laptop hosting....

Toontrack Superior 2 (with Nashville and Latin Percussion EZX expansion packs)
Native Instruments Battery 2
Sonic Reality Ultimate Studio Drums (Ocean Way Drums and Drum Master 2 Group Buy offer running in Kontakt 4)

Housed in a Studio2go 4u rolling rack which incorporates a home made 2.1 monitoring system for practices in very small venues (adapted from a Logitec Home 2.1 system but sub re-modelled to hit into 2u space in rack).

Outputting into a custom built tall line array (a la Bose L1) with a Bill Fitzmaurice designed T18 sub for church/ coffee shop/ open air PA duties. 

(Can you see that I like making things!)

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 01:32:34 PM »

Zendrum ZX - Figured Maple/Zebrawood Centre section…..beautiful
Zendrum Muse - Black ($90)

Alesis DMPro
Alesis D4 - Backup
Alesis Picoverb

Roland KC-500 Amp

Reason 2.5 on a G3 ibook but I haven't used it much yet.

Saving up for an RCF 705AS Subwoofer and maybe an Akai Z4 Sampler for the large collection of samples I have (Bob Clearmountain/Double Platinum Drums/Steve Smith/LP Percussion etc.)   

Cheers
Mick

Update

Bought a secondhand HK Powerworks Soundhouse two PA. 12"x2 and a 15" sub. Also have a macbook Pro now so experimenting with Garageband.
DMPro locked up so got it serviced by Alesis...while they still can!!!

SlaveDave,
I'm now working in Dublin now so hopefully get to see you play soon.

Cheers
Mick

worddrummer

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2010, 03:16:42 PM »

My "kit" these days is getting downright strange.

Right now I've got . . .

1. Zendrum LT with a Roland TD9 Sound module (I've also got Battery on my laptop, but I tend to leave that at the office. Try to keep the home computer free so I don't fall into work.0

2. Roland Handsonic 15

3. Korg Wavedrum (most responsive electronic drum I've ever played. More or less my "solo" instrument when playing with friends or along with Kaossilator Loops)

4. Korg Kaossilator Pro.

Can't say it's "traditional" but it does the job.

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 09:32:55 PM »

And this rig travels with me in the overhead bin of an airplane!!

Hey again John,
First off, thanks for all the advice you gave me a few weeks ago. You really cut through some of the crap that I have been trying to figure out.   
My question is, how many spaces is your rack that can fit in the overhead compartment. I'm buying a 10 space SKB Rack off of Geosphere, hoping it would also fit in that tight space... Let me know.
Thanks,
FunKyD

Sorry for the really late reply.......

I travel with an SKB Studio Flyer (2 space).  I have a Motu interface and a Glyph drive mounted in it with my MacBook Pro on to in the computer compartment.  Everything is wired up and ready to go.  It takes five min to set up.  I have backline provided when I travel so it has gotten real fast to get in and get out.

Again, sorry this is a few months late. 

John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Tom Roady

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 12:12:01 AM »

Worddrummer's setup is way cool....I'm doing an Electronic Percussion Master Class at the Nashville jazz Workshop 2 days after I get beck from the Zendrummer gathering in Atlanta at the end of the month.....for this master class I'll be bringing a pretty extensive rig...2 ZX's...Lacewood Rastafar-I that Kim Daniel and Dave built me a long time ago...and my "caribbean atoll " blue ZX..Dave went above and beyond on it....beaches surrounding islands!!! he is the master at making each instrument unique and special....My Wavedrum(like Worddrummer)...the only instrument I own that I discover something new about it everytime I play it......my Handsonic...and a Mandala V.1 triggering a Korg Triton rack and a Mandala USB V.2 going into a MacBook 2.4ghz along with my Zx's running over 20 GB of Garageband, Toontrak EZDrummers and Superior 2.0  and soon Omnisphere.  Sometimes I use an Echoplex Digital Pro for looping...all of this for live gigs played through stereo Roland KC500s...they are heavy but they have wheels. I also have an LT in Quilted Polar ,Wenge and Tigerwood that I will bring to the class.   probably going to just take the Zendrums ,the Macbook,and my amps to the Atlanta get together..its about Zendrums!!! NOT ROLAND OR KORG... "the mayor"

worddrummer

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 01:05:16 PM »

Holeee schmollee. ANd here I thought I had a lot of gear. =-)

camcojunky

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 05:00:24 PM »

Slavedave,

Any chance you could elaborate on the "custom built tall line array (a la Bose L1) with a Bill Fitzmaurice designed T18 sub" ?

How does this differ from a Bose L1?  How does the sound compare?

Thanks,

Camcojunky

Slavedave

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 05:57:21 AM »

Sorry if this is taking it off topic from the OP (please berate me if it is).
I did a lot of research into Line Array theory and speaker building prior to starting the project.  We had the use of a L1 mkii for a weekend at our church (gymnasium with wood floors/ block walls/ metal ceiling - an acoustical nightmare which meant speech and song with a "conventional" mid/hi system was a nightmare esp when adding in monitors) and the difference in clarity and intelligibility was tangible.  Unfortunately Bose was too expensive (over 2.5k  euro) so I thought that I would build one!  I used 32 tangband drivers 2" Mid/Fullrang W2-852SE/SF/SG (16 in each section wired to 4ohms  for each section which, when connected together, gave me a seven foot column of 32 speakers at 2ohms capable of handling 32 X 15 watts = 330w.  Efficiency of the line array physics of combined drivers means that I have never needed to drive the column anywhere near it's max - even on one outdoor gig where I covered 250 people with it (presentations, ambiance music and then backing music for Irish dancers).  Used a diy built T18 as the sub (20" squared box -horn sub with an 8" speaker from Bill Fitzmaurice designs) which is run with less than 50 watts of input and easily covers the bass end of things in a room approx 25 yards square.  They are very efficient designs but you can buy plans for greater power output subs at the same site should you need it.
Both builds took a bit of work.  Line array took a month or so of evenings to research, model various candidate speakers, design the column with ISD free speaker software, source materials etc.  Sub took a couple of days to build and is easily in the scope of most people with a bit of handy skills and a few tools.
I run a DBX PA system to control crossover, limiting, feedback suppression and eq duties to the rig.  Had to attenuate down the column speakers sooo much to keep them balanced with the sub.  Adding an additional sub would open up bigger audiences.
Shortcomings would probably be in the mid bass frequency - I crossover at around 120 which is high, but this is a protective measure.  The xmax for the drivers is 2mm and I am being overly careful to prevent this happening BUT I never drive them anywhere near to this so I could probably tune the column / sub a little better.
Comparing what I have to the L1 - if money is no object the L1 is such a compact solution that it is hard not to recommend (so long as you accept the compromises that using smaller speakers in a line array bring).   I couldn't bring myself (nor the churches equipment budget) to that level.. i estimate cost of column was about 400 euro all in (inc hardware, special speaker paint, custom metal grill etc) and the sub was 160 euro (most expensive part was shipping the 25 dollar driver from the States which ended up costing 65 euro!).  Secondhand DBX PA and a new Mackie rack amp were an additional 500 euro so I got a system for just under 1200 euro.  Factor in the time it took and then it doesn't look quite so rosy - it did become a bit of an obsession getting it done. 
BUT I get nothing but compliments about the sound - great evenness throughout the venue, speech is FANTASTIC, we put all the musicians through it (ac guitars, drums, vocals, synths, bass, bodhrans etc), AV presentations sound great and it ...just.. works for this very specific application.  Have use it in a coffee house environment with and without the sub and again, it works great for our purposes.  It is so portable and easy to set up.  3-4 mins and we are good to go.  No monitors needed - the spread of the output allows our musicians to hear direct from the speakers (we used to have lots of difficulty with our musicians getting a reasonable monitor mix with our convention FOH / wedges.   The paradigm shift to Line Array took a little getting used to but our main musician never bothers wearing his in ear headphones for monitoring any more - says it all).
If I were to start the task again - I would consider larger drivers with a great xmax and a lower Fs so that mid bass / bass in the column would be more even and I could possibly dispense with the sub for some gigs (ie no huge kick and bass needs).
Hope this helps and ....sorry again if this took us far off topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up